[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V2 #36

info-mac@uw-beaver (04/27/85)

From: Moderator John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

INFO-MAC Digest         Saturday, 27 Apr 1985      Volume 2 : Issue 36

Today's Topics:
                  Requests to be added to info-applebus
                              A New Mac BBS
          New Macintosh Kermit Prerelease Available for Testing
                        New Macsend shell script
      "Watch" An analog clock desk accessory (new binhex & source)
                             System.MAP file
                             Bugs in Aztec C
                            Hyperdrive Noises
                       COPY II MAC and HYPERdrive
                   Microsoft Word Add-On for VI Lovers
                 forthcoming MacFORTH book; help welcome
                      Replacing HOT Power Supplies

Date: Wed 24 Apr 85 00:23:08-EST
From: Ralph W. Hyre Jr. <RALPHW@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Requests to be added to info-applebus

Please try to limit your requests to one address per machine, as is
the case with info-mac.  This will make it easier for me to maintain
the list, and will help keep the net load low.

The request address is info-applebus-request@mit-xx.

                                        - Ralph Hyre

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 85 15:45:44 pst
From: chavez%ucbcory@Berkeley (Thomas M. Chavez)
Subject: A New Mac BBS

The Berkeley Macintosh Users Group (BMUG) has set up a bulletin board
system operated out of Berkeley, California.  The phone number is
(415) 849-BMUG.  For those without letters on their phones, the number
is (415) 849-2684.  It runs at either 399 or 1200 baud.

If you want any of the latest public domain stuff, this is the place
to get it.  There is no cost to use it, but it is appreciated if you
join the club, which only costs $15 and gets you a copy of the
newsletter, which is hailed by many as one of the best sources of
information.  It is about 130 pages, bound, laser-written.  You also
get a disk full of applications with membership.

Tom Chavez chavez@BERKELEY

No disclaimers here, I am on the staff of BMUG, but still think that
it is great!

------------------------------

Date: Thu 25 Apr 85 16:29:56-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.ARPA>
Subject: New Macintosh Kermit Prerelease Available for Testing

This is to announce a pre-release version of Columbia Macintosh
Kermit.  This program is equivalent to the new C-Kermit in its
capabilities, implementing the full range of encoding, compression,
and block check options, and includes a fairly complete VT102 terminal
emulator and a Macintosh-style user interface.

The program is based on C-Kermit, and shares the same C language
source for the protocol-related modules (but the version of these
protocol modules is later than the currently released version of Unix
Kermit).  Macintosh Kermit is presently built using the SUMACC
Unix-based cross development environment; a future release might also
allow it to be built using a Macintosh-resident C language development
system.

This pre-release is intended primarily for evaluation at sites
familiar with Kermit.  We are soliciting helpful and constructive
comments, suggestions, and detailed, specific bug reports.  There are
some features we haven't put in, but MAY add in later releases; these
are listed just so that everyone won't feel compelled to suggest them:

. A manual (currently only short help and beware files are included) .
Key mapping, including redefinition/relocation of control and meta
keys . Somewhat more intelligence about Macintosh file attributes &
structure . XON/XOFF . Server operation (Macintosh acts as server) .
Screen save/rollback (maybe)

The program is currently about as big as a program can get on a 128K
Mac (the SUMACC system does not provide dynamic segment loading).
Some of the missing features, particularly screen save/rollback and
key mapping, could put it over the edge.

The files are available for anonymous FTP from CU20B as
<MACKERMIT>*.*.  The file CKAAAA.HLP tells what the files are.  The
file CKMKER.HLP contains user documentation (just a little) and
installation instructions (most people will want to simply download
the binhex'd MacKermit resource), and CKMKER.BWR lists the known bugs
and limitations.

This prerelease is not really intended for wide distribution.  It is
mainly to get what we've done so far into the hands of those on the
net who will be able to make useful contributions (in the form of bug
reports, criticisms, and suggestions) which will be filtered into the
first "real" release of MacKermit for general consumption.  Please
send all such reports to Info-Kermit@CU20B.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 85 18:06:43 pst
From: ix924%sdcc6@SDCSVAX.ARPA (Chris Borton)
Subject: New Macsend shell script

     Here is a modification of the macsend shellscript posted a while
ago on the net. [Macsend allows multiple macputs from a unix host by
using wildcard designators -jma ] The original macsend generated -rdu
options for macput depending upon the file extension, but this doesn't
work with macput for xbin'd files.  (For those of you unfamiliar with
xbin, it's a C program that does the job of BinHex on UNIX, and
creates three files from the file given: <file>.rsrc, <file>.data, and
<file>.info.  The command macput without any options looks for those
three files and downloads the final binary version, ready to run.)

     You can give it any number of files (including wild cards) and it
will determine whether xbin has been run on them.  If so, it uses
macput for a binary download; if not, it uses macput -u, assuming a
text file.  After it is done it beeps the Mac three times (to wake you
up) and prints "Downloads done!"  I hope this is useful--please mail
any comments, bugs, or whatever to me directly.

Chris Borton sdcsvax!sdcc6!ix924

[ The text of the script is stored in unix-macsend.shar -jma ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 85 09:27:57 pst
From: erik%ucbssl.CC@Berkeley (Erik Kilk)
Subject: "Watch" An analog clock desk accessory (new binhex & source)

Watch -- By Erik Kilk April 19, 1985 This is an analog clock desk
accessory.  Use the desk accessory mover to install.  When started, a
clock face will appear below the apple menu without a title bar.  To
move or close, click on the face (twice if the clock face window isn't
active), and you will get a title bar with a close box.  Clicking
again on the face will remove the title bar.  The system updates the
clock every 30 seconds. This will increase your system file by 2k. The
source follows the BinHex dump.

[ The hex compiled version is stored in da-watch.hcx, the c source
  in da-watch.c -jma ]

The c source was edited with "Edit" but then reformatted with Unix's
"indent".  That is why it looks a little strange.  It was worse before
using "indent" because I had set tabs to size 4 in "Edit".

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!tmq!darin@ut-sally.ARPA
Date: 23 Apr 85 14:26:22 CST (Tue)
Subject: System.MAP file

The following is a .MAP file that is included with the TMon debugger.
It was created from the INCLUDE files that come with MDS 128 and some
globals that were in the old TlAsm files on the Lisa.  It can be used
with MacDB or TMon to identify the Low Memory globals and is useful
for prowling around system software.  No descriptions of the globals
are included.  Look them up in the original EQU files.

Darin Adler ihnp4!tmq!darin (UUCP)

[ The submission can be found in <info-mac>MDS128.MAP -jma ]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 85 20:35:59 EST
From: winkler@harvard.ARPA (Dan Winkler)
Subject: Bugs in Aztec C

1)
        Local variable don't work in functions of type pascal.  For
example:

        pascal int foo(x)
                int x;
        {
                int y;

                y = 5;
        }

        can end up assigning the value 5 to x.

2)
        If statements don't work if followed immediately by assembly
        language.  For example,

                if ( x > 0 )
                {
                        printf("positive\n");
                }
                #asm
                move.l A0, A1
                #endasm

        compiles as:

                if ( x > 0 )
                {
                        printf("positive\n");
                        #asm
                        move.l A0, A1
                        #endasm
                }

        That is, the assembly gets put inside the if block.

3)

        One minor problem is that the compiler does not detect
        multiply declared variables such as:

                extern char a; /* this line inside a block */

                char a; /* this line outside a block */

Dan. (winkler@harvard)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 85 23:38:39 EST
From: greenes@harvard.ARPA (Robert Greenes)
Subject: Hyperdrive Noises

There have been a lot of favorable comments about the Hyperdrive on
the net, with which I would strongly concur.  One finding that I have
not seen discussed, however, is the occurrence of a "grinding" sound
for about one second, on boot up, which occurs shortly after the
startup screen is displayed, and just before full speed is attained.
This only occurs about 50% of the time.

I checked with General Computer technical support, and was informed
that this has been reported by a number of other individuals, but that
so far it does not seem to have been associated with any ill effects.

I would be interested in knowing whether any other Hyperdrive users
are indeed finding this same noise, how frequently, and whether any
other symptoms have occurred.  I am somewhat reassured when Tech
Support tells me not to worry, but would like to have some indication
that I am not the only one with this problem, verified by other users,
and that they also have noted no ill effects.  I will summarize to the
net.

------------------------------

From: Tom Lippiatt <lipp@rand-unix>
Date: 24 Apr 85 14:26:42 PST (Wed)
Subject: COPY II MAC and HYPERdrive

   Central Point Software, developer of COPY II MAC, has just released
version 3.0 which they claim is now compatible with the HYPERdrive and
the Techmar hard disk systems. They suggest that those of you who own
MACs with a hard disk check the package for a "blue dot" about the
size of an pencil eraser before you buy.  Those without a blue dot
(orange or silver) are earlier versions and will not work with hard
disks.  For those of you that bought earlier versions before
purchasing a hard disk my guess is that they would work some sort of
exchange although I don't know for sure.

   Like always - I have no connection with ...... etc.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 85 20:15:44 EST
From: winkler@harvard.ARPA (Dan Winkler)
Subject: Microsoft Word Add-On for VI Lovers

There have been extended debates on info-mac and net.micro.mac over
which is better: the simplicity a mouse based editor (like Microsoft
Word) or the power of a keyboard based editor (like VI under Unix).

Well, I have just used an add-on to Microsoft Word which gives you
both.  It lets you use all the usual Word features -- you can still
use the mouse to make menu choices, select text, and so on -- but you
can also enter a mode where your keystrokes are intrepreted as they
would be by VI.  Now, THIS, is the word you've been waiting for!

This hack is amazingly fast.  The response is limited mostly by the
usual, moderately slow speed of Microsoft Word's screen refreshing.
It was written by Mark Stowe at Harvard.  He has implemented the
following commands, among others, so far:

        motion commands: w, b, e, ), (, }, h, j, k, l, and synonyms,
^D, ^U,
                H, L, $, 0, -, <return>

        operators: y, c, d, Y (select only), others...

        searching: f, t, /

        miscellaneous: " buffers, p, P, C, D, I, A, a, i, x, X, s, r

        special: u, .

To quit VI mode and return to using plain Microsoft Word, type ^q.

To implement a few more features, Mark needs more documentation on:

        INIT resources
        journaling
        how to make things compatible with the Switcher

If you can supply documentation on any of these, please do.

Mark's program is written in two layers.  The lowest level catches
events and (optionally) expands them into arbitrary sequences of
events, which could be VI commands.  This lets you use macros to
generate sequences of VI commands.  The next level, is a VI
interpreter that executes VI commands using Microsoft Word commands.
This is the level that checks to see if you're in insert mode or not,
etc.  It handles numeric arguments (like 3dw or c2tf).  Numeric
arguments before macros repeat the particular macro.

Mark has also written VI for the tiny Epson HX20 notebook computer.
If you're interested in either of these programs, please let me know.
Mark will make them available if there's enough interest.

Dan. (winkler@harvard)

------------------------------

Subject: forthcoming MacFORTH book; help welcome
Date: 24 Apr 85 19:07:44 EST (Wed)
From: zim@mitre.ARPA

A friend of mine, Todd Papke, sends the following interesting tidbit:
Submitted:  4/21/85 18:50 From:  TODD PAPKE Subject:  Macforth

Dave Colburn called me friday.  Addison/Wesley is going to contract
them for a book on Macforth.  They want to fold me into the project.
I don't know all of the specifics yet ( Dave won't know until
wednesday ), but if you have any Forth friends who have any input on
what they would like to see please have them give me a call.  I would
greatly appreciate your input also.

((Todd can be reached at (703)931-9026, or at home address:  5111
South 8th Road #303, Arlington, VA 22204
 - zim))

------------------------------

Date: 26 Apr 1985 11:04:32-EST
From: Anneal.Project@cmu-ee-faraday
Subject: Replacing HOT Power Supplies

Several of the Mac owners here at CMU have power supplies which are
putting out a lot of heat. Some of the Macs are so hot that one cannot
hold one's hand to the top vent.  We are convinced that this heat is
not conducive to our Macs living long and prospering, and is probably
damaging some of the components.

Has anyone replaced the power supply on their Mac with one of the
newer and allegedly cooler supplies? Is the replacement of hot power
supplies covered under the conditions of either the warranty or the
service contract? If not, can one buy a new supply from apple and
replace it easily?

The other alternative we are exploring is installing a (quiet) fan, a
la Hyperdrive, to keep things cool. Has anyone done this? If so, what
fan did you use (part #'s) and do you have any tips to pass on?

A summary of any responses that I receive will be posted to info-mac,
so please send mail only if you have info to pass on.

If this problem is as widespread at other sites receiving this bboard
as it is here at CMU, we should together encourage apple to replace
our HOT supplies.

Saul Kravitz sak@eef

End of INFO-MAC Digest