[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V2 #41

info-mac@uw-beaver (05/03/85)

From: Moderator John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

INFO-MAC Digest           Friday, 3 May 1985       Volume 2 : Issue 41

Today's Topics:
             XMAC 2.0 a Mac to Vax/VMS file transfer program
                      Quenching rom upgrade rumors
                              Mac Insurance
                      Inside-Mac (phone-book) at $4
            odd MacPaint capability - lasso along grid lines
                     Memory upgrade with HyperDrive
                      MULTIPLAN SYLK file parsers?

Date: Wed, 1 May 85 21:37:54 pdt
From: Michael Peirce <peirce@lll-crg.ARPA>
Subject: XMAC 2.0 a Mac to Vax/VMS file transfer program

This is the latest version of XMAC for VMS.  It incorporates a number
of features not found in XMAC 1.0.  Most important is that is will
function properly at speeds other than 1200 baud and actually works
quite well at 9600 baud.  Error recovery has been improved as well.
Other less important, but still nice, improvements include a /BELL=n
qualifier that let's XMAC notify you that it's done.  XMAC 2.0 also
lists the number of retransmittals/ timeouts it performed during the
transfer.

XMAC can also be run from a COM file now without errors.

To bring up XMAC on your system simple cut out the COM file below and
execute it ($ @XMAC.COM).  Since XMAC is written in Vax Pascal you
must have Pascal around.  And be sure to modify XMAC.CLD to reflect
XMAC's final resting place.  on your machine.

Any questions/queries should be directed to Kris via me
(peirce@lll-crg).

[ Please find this in <info-mac>VMSXMAC2.COM -jma I 've also included
the archived description program with this posting. ]

$ TYPE SYS$INPUT TITLE :  Macintosh to DEC VAX using VMS, XMODEM
protocol file transfer utility.

DESCRIPTION :  This program allows users to transfer files between a
Apple Macintosh and a DEC VAX minicomputer running VMS.  Two types of
transfers are possible, TEXT files and Macintosh binary files.  TEXT
files are editable on both computers, but some restrictions apply (see
documentation).  Macintosh binary files can be transfered to the VAX,
and back.  Binary files are stored on the VAX in one file.  Both types
of transfers use the XMODEM protocol provided in the MacTerminal
program for error detection and correction.

UPDATES FROM LAST REVISION :

1) 9600 baud support.  2) File transfer through a remote host.  3)
Better error detection and recovery.  4) Tested under VMS version 4.0
5) Documentation on XMODEM protocol used by MacTerminal (as I know
it).

Enjoy!  Kris Kreutzman OMNYC Software Associates

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  2 May 85 10:03:19 PDT
From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Lindy> David M. Gelphman 415-854-3300 x3186
Subject: Quenching rom upgrade rumors

The lastest I have heard about the ROM upgrade is that it will be
OFFERED to ALL Macintosh owners but that the dealers will only INSTALL
it on those Macintoshes which have been untouched by anyone other than
official Apple hands.  I believe this would be a sensible policy since
Apple doesn't want to be responsible for problems with ROM upgrades on
'nonstandard' Macintoshes.  Any confirmation regarding this from our
good sources within Apple?  I think this compromise would cool a lot
of heads in what is potentially a unhappy situation.  David Gelphman

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 30 Apr 85 17:35:25 PDT
From: "Douglas J. Trainor" <trainor@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA>
Subject: Mac Insurance

I am interested in obtaining an insurance policy for my future Mac; I
was sure there were some insurance companies offering some sort of
special policy, and indeed there seem to be.

        >The Chubb Group of Insurance Companies (555 California Street,
        >San Francisco, CA 94104) has set up a policy with AppleComputer
        >designed specifically to cover Apple equipment.
        >
        >For $25, you get coverage for up to $5000 worth of hardware, software,
        >and accessories.
        >
        >Another address for Emett & Chandler is 62 East Colorado Blvd.,
        >Pasadena, CA 91105.
        >
        >For only $25, this is one of the best deals around, and since is was
        >co-written with Apple, it covers everything that it should.
        >
        >Tom Chavez chavez@berkeley

I talked to Emett & Chandler (in Pasadena & SF) and they told me that
the insurance was no longer available, but might be later this year.
I also received this note about Emett & Chandler.

        >I bought the Apple insurance from Emett & Chandler.  It was
        >cheap but I can't recommend it.  I filed a claim in November
        >and am still hassling the company to try to get them to even
        >acknowledge that I exist.  Needless to say, they haven't paid
        >yet.  I may have to sue them.
        >
        >--Gordon Hamachi

Next, I thought I'd contact Apple Computer.  After several long
distance phone calls to the right-person-at-Apple, I discovered that
they apparently knew nothing about their products or services.  I was
quite disapointed.  Can anyone give me any useful information?  I know
Apple is on the net, so I'd like to hear something from them.

        Douglas

ARPA: trainor@ucla-locus.arpa UUCP:
...!{cepu,ihnp4,randvax,sdcrdcf,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!trainor

------------------------------

Date: Thu 2 May 85 08:04:55-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@UTEXAS-20.ARPA>
Subject: Inside-Mac (phone-book) at $4

This just might be a *VERY SPECIAL* local deal, but ...

I was told that our local Consortium shop is going to be making the
manuals available at this price very shortly.  Shop around for similar
prices ...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 1985  04:02 EDT
From: LEVITT%MIT-OZ@MIT-MC.ARPA
Subject: odd MacPaint capability - lasso along grid lines

I thought sure by now I'd poked everything in MacPaint, but I just
discovered (in v 1.4) that when you paste a lassoed item and turn the
Grid on, the lasso will jump between grid points - not just when you
drag the pasted item, but for new lasso selections until you select
some other tool.  This can be seen most clearly with a light patterned
area, since the lasso is invisible while you drag it over black, but
won't select anything on white.  Wiggle it around and you get 8 pixel
wide squares and triangles.  Drag quickly and you may get a segment of
slope 1/2 or 2 or 3.  Unfortunately, it takes practice to select a
rectangle this way, so it doesn't really let the lasso subsume the
marquee function while you're using the grid.  So for utility, this
doesn't quite rate with the info-mac report about dragging with the
lasso from the screen edge.  It might even be considered a bug.  Had
other people noticed this?  Was it already documented?  (Reply to me.)

------------------------------

Date: 1 May 1985 21:11-PDT
Sender: GEMETRICS@USC-ECLB
Subject: Memory upgrade with HyperDrive
From: GEMETRICS@USC-ECLB

I'm a newcomer to this bboard, so excuse the possible repetition.  I
have heard that the G.C. upgrade from a 128K mac uses 150ns memory and
removes the wait states from the 68000.  An upgrade from a 512K mac,
of course, would leave the existing memory (and wait states) as is.
The result seems to be that, assuming you want to effectively spend
$600 on a memory upgrade, you will end up with a faster machine.

Any corroboration from anyone?  I heard this from Bill Duvall
(consulaire).

John Bailey <GEMETRICS@ECLB>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 May 85 12:41:22 EDT
From: Edward A. Band (MISD-SEAD) <eband@Ardc.ARPA>
Subject: MULTIPLAN SYLK file parsers?

     Does anyone out there know of public domain (or inexpensive
prexisting) software that parses MULTIPLAN SYLK files(Macintosh
PASCAL, or MICROSOFT BASIC would be the languages of preference). For
example this routine would read an SYLK file and return the type of
record found with the data.

  If you are aware of such software please respond directly to me at
  eband@ardc.

                                      Thank you,

                                      Ed Band

End of INFO-MAC Digest