[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V3 #4

info-mac@uw-beaver (06/04/85)

From: Moderator John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 4 Jun 1985        Volume 3 : Issue 4

Today's Topics:
                       MacKermit, version 0.8(28)
                      Pirated software hits net...
                     SetFile 2.0 and the new system
                       How I got Mazewars to work
                    Request for User Group addresses.

Date: Mon 3 Jun 85 14:23:37-PDT
From: John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: MacKermit, version 0.8(28)

A new Kermit is archived at <info-mac>! From the files available at
Columbia's C20B, THese are the ones you may find here:

 CKMKER.BWR.1 18588(7) 31-May-85
                        A digest of bugs and corrections ("bewares")
   .DOC.1 35281(7) 30-May-85
                        The manual page(s) about MacKermit
   .HQX.1 79761(7) 1-Jun-85
                        MacKermit v0.8(28) in compressed binary format.
   .UPD.1 6039(7) 30-May-85
                        A list of UPDated features in this version
 CKMKEY.HQX.1 30595(7) 30-May-85
                        The key remapping.

As before we have kept Columbia's naming scheme. Thanks to Doug
Brutlag for getting the files. -jma

------------------------------

Date: Mon 3 Jun 85 03:03:43-PDT
From: William "Chops" Westfield <BILLW@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Pirated software hits net...

I dont know if this has made it to info-mac yet (not reading that
list), or whether it is even Mac software, but since the messages
mention net.sources.mac, I thought you should see this.

BillW
------------------------------ Forwarded messages
----------------------

From: "Lonnie R. Abelbeck, AT&T Bell Labs" <lra%rduxb.uucp@BRL.ARPA>
Subject: Pirated VersaTerm Hits the Net Date: 30 May 85 00:50:53 GMT
To:  info-micro@brl-vgr.ARPA

[] Pirated VersaTerm Hits the Net

I just saw a posting in "net.sources.mac" that is a blatant, illegal,
pirated version of my Copyrighted Version 1.00 of VersaTerm.  The
poster was:

--> From: newton@reed.UUCP (Physics Super User)
--> Newsgroups: net.sources.mac
--> Subject: Another Terminal Emulator
--> Date: 29 May 85 06:29:10 GMT

The fraud claiming to have written the program is:

--> R. E. Crandall
--> 5445 SE 41
--> Portland, OR 97202

By editing the "About VersaTerm..." dialog (using FEdit and ResEdit I
suppose) this person replaced my Copyright notice, my picture and my
name with his name, Company (logo?) and a plea for $75 to be sent to
his address.  Everything else is MY VERSATERM!!

Our (Peripherals C&S) lawyers have been informed and legal action will
no doubt be brought against both Mr. Crandall and Reed College.

If this fraud has posted this illegal program to other networks
(CompuServe...)  I would appreciate you honest netter's out there to
pass this note on.

I still can't believe it!!!

Lonnie R. Abelbeck ihnp4!rduxb!lra

------

From: Dan Winkler <winkler@harvard.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Pirated VersaTerm Hits the Net
To:  info-micro@brl-vgr.ARPA

        : VersaTerm is a good program at a fair price which is
supported well.  Furthermore, Lonnie posted an early version of it in
recognition of the support he had received from the net and has since
been a frequent contributer of valuable technical information.

Copy protection has proved completely ineffective against software
piracy.  A much better defense is to provide a good product with good
documentation and support at a fair price, as Lonnie Abelbeck has.
Let's take this pirated posting as an opportunity to show that we
support products like VersaTerm and that they are consequently immune
to piracy even if distributed illegally over the net.  Let's make it
clear to other software vendors that quality and fairness on their
part is the best (and only) defense against piracy.

I'll begin by reporting that on the Harvard Vax the pirated copy of
VersaTerm, formerly /usr/spool/news/net/sources/mac/303, has been
deleted.

Dan. (winkler@harvard)

-------

From: Sam Chin <tsc2597%acf4.uucp@BRL.ARPA> Subject: Re: Pirated
VersaTerm Hits the Net Date: 31 May 85 01:54:00 GMT To:
info-micro@brl-vgr.ARPA

<>

I have noticed that a lot of the sources posted to net.sources.mac are
not really sources but object code that has been converted to a
hexadecimal format. I think it would be a good idea to require that
posters post the source code as well. Posting of object is frowned
upon in net.sources. I know, I was fooled to thinking a copy of
stargate I found on a BBS was a public domain version and posted it.
Since that incident I have sworn never to post object without the
source.

Sam Chin allegra!cmcl2!acf4!tsc2597 tsc2597.acf4@nyu

-------

From: Roy Standing <roy@nlm-vax.ARPA> Subject: Re: Pirated VersaTerm
Hits the Net Date: 31 May 85 15:02:00 GMT To:  info-micro@brl-vgr.ARPA

I, too, was amazed to find that the terminal emulator package posted
to the net was Versaterm but with someone else's name and company
identification.  While I try to refrain from posting nontechnical
messages, I think this is an appropriate exception.

Such blatant piracy can not be tolerated.  I have deleted the copy
that came to me and I recommend that everyone else do the same.  If it
is possible to purge the posting from net.sources.mac, I recommend
that be done also.

I hope to be posting software we are developing soon.  I intend to
post sources.  The purpose is to participate in the colleagial
environment.  Piracy can destroy the trust and respect that makes such
environments possible.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jun 85 12:12:54 pdt
From: huxham%ucbcory@Berkeley (Frederick A. Huxham)
Subject: SetFile 2.0 and the new system

>From: stew%lhasa@harvard.ARPA >Date:  22 May 85 13:12 EDT >Subject:
SetFile DA vs. new system

To refresh everyones memory, this was posted as an answer to why the
SetFile DA 2.0 supposedly didn't work in the new system distributed by
Apple.

>I discovered the same problem when I first installed SetFile some
time >ago.  The problem is that it MUST be DRVR 19, and its associated
>resources must be correctly numbered ($C000 + 19*$32 + i where 0 <= i
><= 31, as per Inside Mac, Resource Manager, page 10).  The new system
>expects the DA to figure out what its ID is and look for the
>corresponding owned resources.  All of the others that I have tried
>seem to do this, but the authors of SetFile were lazy, and didn't
give >us the source so we could fix it.

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!!

SetFile DOES NOT have to be DRVR 19.  It can have any resource ID.
The first thing the DA does is figure out what its resoure ID is and
then it calculates what it's owned resources numbers have been changed
to so it can call them accordingly.

Here is where the problem lies:

If you move the DA with the old DA mover the resource ID gets changed
along with its owned resources ID's (a DLOG and a DITL).
Unfortunately one of the fields of the DLOG resource is a number which
indicates which DITL belongs to it.  The old DA mover was not smart
enough to go in and renumber this field along with renumbering
everything else.  Thats why when you started up SetFile in the new
system the window would come up and then it would die.  The DLOG was
looking for a DITL that was not there.

The new Font/DA mover IS smart enough to go into the DLOG resource and
correctly renumber the itemsID field.

Just move SetFile with the new Font/DA mover and everything will work
fine.

As for the authors being "lazy", (I am one of them).  Let's see, we
write a DA, post it to the net for everyone to have FREE, then when
Steve Capps fixes the SF package, we write an entirely new version of
the DA, (and I'd say a fairly useful DA at that), once again we post
it to the net for everyone to have FREE.

Sorry we were so "lazy".  (Yes, being called lazy annoyed me).

Fred A. Huxham huxham@BERKELEY

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 85 17:05:34 EDT
From: kevin@harvard.ARPA (Kevin Crowston)
Subject: How I got Mazewars to work

I now have a working version of Mazewars without AppleTalk (on a 512K
and 128K Mac).  This letter describes what I did, so others needn't
worry about the same things.

There are three things I needed to get Mazewars running:  a cable, a
system and a little programme, given to me by Peter DiCamillo.

 1) The cable.  As originally announced, you need a cable like the one
    that comes with the MAC Development System.  This is a 3 conductor
    cable with two 9 pin connectors.  You want to connect pin 3 to 3,
    pin 5 to 9 and pin 9 to 5.  All the rest are not connected (in
    particular, you don't need to connect pin 7 to 7 as shown in the
    Mac Development System Manual).  This line connects the two printer
    ports of the two macs.

 2) A system.  You need to get a system that comes with the AppleTalk
    resources, for example, the system with the LaserWriter configuration
    stuff.  I got a copy by asking a dealer to let me copy his.  There
    are three resources I know you need:  two drivers, named .mpp and
    .atp (I think) and INIT #6.  (There maybe more, but these are the
    3 that were mentioned in the earlier letter.)  Once I figure out
    how to upload resources and assuming no one tells me that the drivers
    are proprietary (the dealer thought they weren't) and there is
    demand, I'll send these to the net.

 3) A little programme.  It turns out that the version of Mazewars posted
    to the net does not properly start up AppleTalk if you just run it,
    because of something stored in the parameter RAM or something like
    that.  There are many solutions, apparently.  The easiest is to take
    the battery out and put it back in, which reset the parameter RAM.
    I haven't actually tried this, however, so I don't know that it works.
    Other people do things with the "Select Printer DA", but this didn't
    work for me on the 128K mac, since the "Connect to AppleTalk" buttons
    were greyed out.  The method that I know works, because it's what I do,
    is to run a little programme that I was given by Peter DiCamillo.
    This programme (I think) opens up the AppleTalk driver and then
    launches mazewars.  Note that the way it's set up, you have to
    call your programme "MW" or it doesn't find it.  I find that
    you also have to boot off the disk with the AppleTalk system or the
    programme bombs.  I am including the assembler source for the programme;
    I will also try to upload the application sometime in the future.

 How to run the programme:

 Apparently each Mac chooses its AppleTalk id number when it's powered up.
 Therefore, it is said to be important to:

 1) Power off each mac.
 2) Connect the cable to the printer ports.
 3) Turn on each mac.
 4) Run mazewars.  I do this by launching the little programmementioned
     above, which in turn runs Mazewars.  (In fact, this is the startup
     application on the Mazewar's disk.)  Note that with this programme
     you don't need to do anything with the Select Printer DA.

I'd like to thank everyone who answered my questions and offered
advice including:

roy@nlm-vax (Roy Standing), brian@ut-sally.ARPA (Brian H. Powell),
DICK@BROWNVM.BITNET (Dick Damon), CMSMAINT@BROWNVM.BITNET (Peter
DiCamillo), chavez%ucbcory@Berkeley (Steve Costa) and Steve Hana.

Any errors in the above description are mine; I'd appreciate feedback
from anyone trying to follow these instructions.

Kevin Crowston

Assembler source:

 main sub #50,SP
        MOVE.L SP,A0
        CLR.B $1B(A0)
        LEA MPPName,A1
        MOVE.L A1,$12(A0)
        CLR.W $16(A0)
        DC.W $A000
        ADD #50,SP
        SUB #6,SP
        MOVE.L SP,A0
        LEA PGMNAME,A1
        MOVE.L A1,0(A0)
        CLR.W 4(A0)
        DC.W $A9F3

 MPPName DC.B 4, '.MPP'
 PGMNAME DC.B 2, 'MW'

        end

Kevin Crowston MIT Sloan School

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 May 85 06:30:38 EDT
From: Monte_Fowler%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Request for User Group addresses.

I think that it is time to compile a list of all the MAC user groups
If everyone will send me the 1) The name of the group 2) a mailing
address (physical) 3) at least one contact person w/a phone #, & 4)
any other pertinent news about the group (dues,etc)
 example
 1) MacTechnics (University of Michigan)
 2) PO Box 4063 Ann Arbor, MI 48107
 3) Monte Fowler (V. Pres) (313) 761-5682
 4) yearly dues $20, includes discounts at local stores with a monthly
    newsletter.  Currently about 300 members

  When there is a nice sized list I will post it for Info Mac

 toodles, Monte of Michigan

End of INFO-MAC Digest