[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V3 #5

info-mac@uw-beaver (06/06/85)

From: Moderator John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.arpa>

INFO-MAC Digest          Thursday, 6 Jun 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 5

Today's Topics:
                           Mac PSL Version 1.1
                        SetFile DA vs. new system
                      Pirated Versaterm Explanation
                 re: Lint library for Mac ToolBox calls?
                   MacAdvantage & Softech Microsystems
                   [USENET] finder 4.1 stuff (& bugs)
                     [USENET] MazeWars on 128k Macs
                [USENET] reports of video-board failures

Date: Wed 5 Jun 85 07:47:38-MDT
From: Robert R. Kessler <KESSLER@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Mac PSL Version 1.1

Portable Standard Lisp for the Macintosh is now available.  This is a
subset version of PSL which currently runs on a wide range of
machines, including the Cray-XMP, IBM 370 series, Vaxen under both VMS
and Unix, Apollo, HP Series 200, Sun and others.  This version has
been used successfully for two quarters in an introductory computer
science class.  It will operate on a 128K Mac with a single drive (the
128K version is limited with a small 1200 item heap and 100 symbol
table entries - but is sufficient for small educational applications).
We also include a 512K version that has the same functionality, but a
45K item heap and a 1000 free symbol table entries.  The system also
includes a window based editor with paren bouncing and auto
indentation.

Since this is being distributed by the University we will be
distributing it in the same manner as we distribute our other PSL
systems.  You must sign a license agreement and send us the purchase
price (or a purchase order) and we will ship the system.  Included is
the disk (with the 128K and 512K versions, a set of lessons for
learning how to write Lisp programs and a few sample programs -
NOTHING is copy protected) and a reference manual describing the
features of the language (the manual is not sufficient for learning
Lisp, so we recommend textbooks like Touretzky's "A Gentle
Introduction to Symbolic Computation" for those non computer
scientists or Winston and Horn's "Lisp - Second Edition" for you
hackers or wait for my new book "Objective Lisp" {Not due out until
next year, so I wouldn't really wait ;-) }).

We are offering a site license to universities and companies that wish
to use the system on multiple of their machines (for $2500).

Cost for the disk, manual and shipping is just $75.00.  Please send us
your US Mail address, and we will mail you a copy of the license
agreement for your signature (or if you are in a hurry, send us a
message and we will send you a reply containing the license which you
should print out, sign and return with your remittance).

Future plans for Mac PSL are the following, in the approximate order
we will do them (the 128K version is pretty well frozen due to memory
limitations, extensions will be made to the 512K version):

  a) Add a simple objects package to allow interface to the Mac
Toolbox
  b) Add more of the PSL functionality (at least a full Standard Lisp)
  c) Attempt to get part of the REDUCE algebra system running
  d) Attempt to add the compiler

If you have technical questions, please send mail to
(kessler@utah-20.arpa or jw-peterson@utah-20.arpa).  For ordering and
administrative information, please send mail to my secretary
(cruse@utah-20.arpa).

Bob.

------------------------------

From: stew%lhasa@harvard.ARPA
Date: 	4 Jun 85 14:51 EDT
Subject: SetFile DA vs. new system

First, I want to publicly apologize for calling the authors of the
SetFile DA "lazy".  I should know better.

However, I still do not understand something.  I did use the new
DA/Font mover to move SetFile out of my System, where it worked fine
as DRVR 19, into a DA file, and back into another System, where it
failed to work as some other number.  I checked to see that its
resources obeyed the formula and that the DLOG had the right DITL
number.  All of the other DA's that I treated similarly worked fine.
Perhaps I have an old version of SetFile.

Stew

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 4 Jun 85 10:53:41 EDT
From: winkler@harvard.ARPA (Dan Winkler)
Subject: Pirated Versaterm Explanation

The last info-mac digest quoted several responses to the pirated
Versaterm posting but did not include the most important one, the one
which shows that this was not only piracy but also attempted character
assasination by someone who had unauthorized access to Crandall's
account.

I'd be interested to know how Lonnie and his lawyers choose to proceed
if the real culprit cannot be identified.  They can't very well blame
Crandall.  At worst, he might have chosen too obvious a password or
left himself logged in.  But with time shared computers (at least ones
running Unix), there are usually ways to get unauthorized superuser
privileges, sometimes from thousands of miles away without even having
an account on the machine (such as with the original 4.2 mailer daemon
bug).  Thus, Crandall and Reed could have been doing everything right.

We do have ways to improve the security of mail messages using digital
signatures.  This would require the user to provide a private
encryption key each time he sent a message.  Then anyone could use his
public decryption key to verify that he was the one who sent the
message.  Unfortunately, this method requires everyone who wants to
read the message to have access to the public decoding key, which is
impractical on the networks we use.  You can't just send a copy of the
public key with the message because packets like that could be easily
forged.  So in practice, it might be best for the mailer just to ask
for the regular login password and verify it with the password file
before sending mail to other machines.  With this method, even if
someone gains unauthorized access to your account through a system
bug, they cannot send mail from you to other machines without knowing
your password (unless they invest the considerable time and effort to
modify the mailer).

Anyway, here's that message:

Sat Jun 1 11:27:48 EDT 1985
From: maclab@reed.UUCP (Mac Development Lab)
Subject: Re: Re: Another Terminal Emulator (STOLEN SOFTWARE FLAME!)

Recently, a copy of Lonnie Abelbeck's VersaTerm was posted to
net.sources.mac, under the login 'newton@reed (Physics Super User)'.
Within the source reference was made to R.E. Crandall, along with the
suggestion that satisfied users send money to him: THIS POSTING WAS
DONE WITHOUT R.E. CRANDALL'S KNOWLEDGE.

Richard E. Crandall is Reed College's Computing Master Plan Director
and Chairman of the Physics department.  I, and many others, will
vouch for the fact that he DID NOT have anything to do with such a
gross misuse of this network.  R.Crandall does not even read Usenet
news, let alone post sources which are copyrighted by someone else.
David Levine, who replied with a mega-flame to the posting of
VersaTerm, is vehement about the disgusting nature of such a posting:
my coworkers and I agree with his assessment.

This posting was a grotesque joke, perpetrated by someone with
unauthorized access to Crandall's account, and who has no sense of
decency or respect for another Reed Community member.  This action is
a Reed Honor Code violation, and when the guilty party is discovered,
he/she will be subject to a Judicial Board inquiry, which I sincerely
hope will result in his/her expulsion from Reed.

I think I can speak for the entire Reed Community, in saying that we
regret that this unfortunate event has occurred.  We are outraged, as
David Levine is, and we hope that the rest of the community will not
be judged by the action of one sick individual. Our apologies to
Lonnie Abelbeck, David Levine, and anyone else who was hurt or
outraged by the VersaTerm posting.

Scott Gillespie Software Development Manager Reed College
{...decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax..}!tektronix!reed!maclab

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Jun 85 16:07:43 pdt
From: Bill Croft <croft@safe>
Subject: re: Lint library for Mac ToolBox calls?

< From: stew%lhasa@harvard.ARPA
< Date:  30 May 85 03:34 EDT
< Subject:  Lint library for Mac ToolBox calls?
<
< Does there exist a file containing function headers for the Mac ToolBox
< calls suitable for use as a lint library?

Yes, a full lint library is included with the SUMacC distribution.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jun 1985 0641-PST
From: Contr04 <CONTR04 at NOSC-TECR>
Subject: MacAdvantage & Softech Microsystems

  I noticed in yesterday's news that Softech is getting rid of it's
Microsystems division, and is looking for a buyer for it's Macintosh
software. Does anyone out there know any more than this ?
  Steve Hyland <CONTR04 at NOSC-TECR>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 85 15:38:28 cdt
From: werner@ut-ngp.ARPA (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: [USENET] finder 4.1 stuff (& bugs)

Article 1656 of 1661, Mon 11:28.  Subject: finder 4.1 stuff (& bugs)
From: brian@digi-g.UUCP (Merlyn Leroy @ Digigraphic Systems Corp.,

    The new finder (4.1) is pretty good, with just a few gripes:
1) Window stats (#items in file, #K used, etc) is not in boldface
anymore.  Boldface makes the stats distinct from filenames.  Now they
are in the same font.

2) Put Back is gone.  I never use it, but some people did.

3) A bug:  when I have a folder open, and the window covers the folder
icon (i.e. you open the folder and it opens up, covering the original
folder icon), the arrow cursor changes to the I-bar text cursor when
it is over the obscured folder's name.  It should only do this if the
icon is in the active window.

4) Another bug: New empty folders & opening the trash, etc, have a
thumbslide at the bottom, as if there is something off the left side
of the window.  Scrolling left reveals nothing and makes the
thumbslide vanish.

5) YAB:  Having NO visible desk accessories (just .printer, in my
case) makes it crash & burn.  You need at least 1 visible desktop
entry.  Try it.  Took me a while to figure that it wasn't me, it was
the new finder.  (I would like independant confirmation of this).
Please fix this one.  I sometimes like making minimal finder/systems
with no DA's, and only required fonts.

6) Monaco 9 still shows O & 0 identically, I & l (with | not much
different).  Also, the X is still ugly.  Slash that zero!  Cap that
'I'!  Tote that barge!  (oh well, I fixed it myself)

Good stuff:

1) New Folder instead of an empty folder lying around.  Something good
they stole from GEM

2) A little 'lock' appears in the stat line of a locked folder's
window.

3) Faster, etc., also the automatic thumbslide vanishing (see above)

4) You can move, edit names, etc, of files listed non-iconically

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 85 15:40:00 cdt
From: werner@ut-ngp.ARPA (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: [USENET] MazeWars on 128k Macs

Article 1658 of 1661, Mon 14:55.
From: nathan@reed.UUCP (Nathan Wilson @ Reed College, Portland, Oregon)

 This is my first posting so I hope it works and is
useful to someone.  I recently got Maze Wars up and working both over
an AppleNet and on two macs just hooked up without AppleNet.  All of
the macs I worked with were 128k.

All I did for the two hooked up with AppleNet was install the DRVR's
.apt and .mmp and INIT ID=6 into the system with ResEdit. After these
were installed I just reset the system started up MazeWars and it
worked.

I got the resources from a development office here at Reed, but they
are probably avaialable from retailers.  Would it be appropriate to
post these to the net maybe in the form of a small data file onto
which the DRVR's and the INIT had been installed using ResEdit?

In order to hook up the two mac to each other I just took the cable
that came with my AppleModem and hooked it up to the printer ports on
both machines.  I then powered them both up and went into the apple
menu and selected Choose Printer (the desk accesory that came with the
recent finder update, also available from local dealers).  I then
selected the modem port for my imagewriter (possibly an unnecessary
step) and clicked on the Connect AppleNet bubble.  I then got a couple
dialog boxes that told me to make sure the AppleNet was hooked up to
the printer port and then one that said it couldn't install the
applenet at this time but that it would be installed next time I
powered up my mac.  (I did this same procedure with both macs).  So I
reset my mac and started up MazeWars and it worked just fine.  The
stuff I did with Choose Printer had probably already been done on the
two hooked up with AppleNet.

The pin connections for the modem cable are:
        (1 is the upper left hand pin 5 is the upper right
        6 is the lower left and 9 the lower right)
                1 nothing
                2 nothing
                3 3,8 (Shorted)
                4 nothing
                5 9
                6 6
                7 7
                8 3,8 (Shorted)
                9 5

 I have no idea which of these connection are necessary.  I was
originally planning on hacking on together from the previous net info,
but when I found that the modem cable worked I stopped.

                                -Nathan Wilson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Jun 85 15:36:51 cdt
From: werner@ut-ngp.ARPA (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: [USENET] reports of video-board failures

Article 1634 of 1661, Mon 08:28.
 From:ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward @ High Altitude Obs./NCAR, Boulder CO)

 [] Our Engineering & Maintenance Group has recently
encountered a rash of Macs with burnt-out video boards.  We have been
able to determine that the problem we are seeing is the most common
cause of macintosh failure - at least in the Boulder area.

It is the opinion of our engineers that a driver transistor in the
horizontal retrace circuitry is under-powered or under heat-sinked or
both.  This transistor apparently opens or shorts and takes out one or
more other componants, the most common being a capacitor or the
flyback transformer.  When the Macs we saw failed, they failed in a
spectacular manner with lots of smoke and big stink.  In at least one
case, the Mac was still running in spite of the smoke when it was
powered off.

Even though Apple recommends in the Macintosh manual that the Mac be
left on at all times, we feel that this is a very dangerous thing to
do.  Since the Macintosh is prone to pyrotecnic failure without
warning, it should never be left powered on unless it is under
supervision.

Apple has been notified of this problem, and has shown no sign of
caring.  Several people have returned burnt Macs to dealers, and two
that I know of have have the problem repaired without cost after the
warranty had expired - one happily, with no questions asked; the other
only after threatening legal action (ala consumer fraud) and all sorts
of nasty things.

In addition to leaving your Mac turned off. it would be a good idea to
buy Applecare health insurance.  The Macintosh is not even getting
close to the two percent failure rate that they boast about.

Article 1642 of 1661, Mon 13:18.  Subject: Re: Macfailures From:
lesgold@cadre.ARPA (Alan Lesgold @ Decision Systems Lab., University
of Pi ttsburgh)

 In article <1569@hao.UUCP> ward@hao.UUCP (Mike Ward) writes:
>[]

>Our Engineering & Maintenance Group has recently encountered >a rash
of Macs with burnt-out video boards. ...

On one of mine, the set of wirings going to the deflection yoke was
resting on the heat sink you mentioned and eventually the insulation
melted, producing the results you described (smoked video board.  I'm
tempted to suggest that advance addition of appropriate tape on those
wires would solve the problem.
--Alan Lesgold, U of Pittsburgh

Article 1657 of 1661, Tue 21:45.  Subject: Re: Macfailures
From: hkr4627@acf4.UUCP (Hedley K. J. Rainnie @ New York University)

Here, here! I agree totally. After 2 burned out Analog boards during
continuous i.e. >1month on use. I must echo not only my voice but
those of the service person "don't believe apple I recommend you use
the machine when you need it, don't leave it on all the time..." He
has seen many more burn outs than I.  I now use a muffin fan pulling
air out of the unit and I switch it off after use.  Sad to say the
screensave programs won't be of any use to me anymore,.  Unless a new
supply comes out......

                The analog board SUCKS!!!!

                        Hedley Rainnie.

End of INFO-MAC Digest