[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V3 #23

info-mac@uw-beaver (07/17/85)

From: Temporary Moderator Rich Alderson <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.arpa>

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 16 Jul 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 23

Today's Topics:
                      WormStat is not public domain
                 Trouble connecting 512K Macs to DEC-20s
                  MacPaint and Apollo screens in Scribe
                                WORD bug?
                 SimpleTools -- Toolbox programming aid
                     Neon owners & users come forth!

Date: Tue, 16 Jul 85 14:08:09 edt
From: Carl Spitzer <crs%dartmouth.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: WormStat is not public domain

It was brought to my attention that my program WormStat is listed on
the info-mac bulletin board as being in the public domain.  The
program is definitely not in the public domain and I would like it
removed from the bulletin board.  It is being marketed commercially
beginning this month.  The version that you mention is very much out
of date.  The current version does many more things and does them
better.  If anyone is interested they can contact me for information
on the program.  My unix address is wolf%dartmouth@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA.
My mailing address is Wolford, Psychology Dept., Dartmouth College,
Hanover, NH 03755.  Phone 603-646-2777.  Thanks for your attention to
this problem.

                                   George Wolford

[This program has been withdrawn from the INFO-MAC archives at SUMEX.
--RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 Jul 85 11:58:22-PDT
From: Clay Andres <CLAY@SU-CSLI.ARPA>
Subject: Trouble connecting 512K Macs to DEC-20s

Has anyone else had trouble connecting 512k Macs to DEC-20's? We had
to take ours off direct connections and put them on TIPs. The machines
worked fine when they were 128k and never worked after being upgraded.
It seems that the 512k board and MacTerminal are sending out some king
of wake up message that is shutting off the line. If a Mac already
running MacTerminal is connected to a direct line it works fine, so it
has something to do with the way MacTerminal starts up.

Clay Andres

------------------------------

Date: Sun 14 Jul 85 00:52:39-PDT
From: Richard Furuta <Furuta@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
Subject: MacPaint and Apollo screens in Scribe

An earlier message asked about including MacPaint pictures in Scribe
through Scribe's @picture command.  John W. Peterson supplies an
answer in the following two messages.  The mentioned files, available
for ftp from the Arpanet, will be posted directly to fa.laser-lovers.

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: Fri 12 Jul 85 19:40:10-MDT
From: John W. Peterson <JW-Peterson@UTAH-20.ARPA>

At Utah, we developed some custome PostScript code that allows you to
stick MacPaint pictures into Scribe documents.  The results look
excellent.  This is not a version of AppleDict, that is, it only knows
about MacPaint, and doesn't do smoothing.  But it is pretty easy to
use with other bitmap formats, for example, we've gotten it to work
with Apollo GMF files.

If anybody is interested, I could probably post it.

Message 2 -- ************************
Date: Sun 14 Jul 85 01:33:57-MDT
From: John W. Peterson <JW-Peterson@utah-20.arpa>

I've bundled up the routines we've developed for putting MacPaint
pictures into Scribe documents.  It has essentially three parts:  A
PostScript program that takes a standardized bitmap format (based on
MacPaint's compression scheme) and generates the bitmap for the scribe
run, and two C programs.  The first program converts MacPaint programs
to this standardized format, the second coverts Apollo bitmap formats.
Both of these C programs automaticly prepend the PostScript header to
their output.  Both programs have all sorts of options for controlling
the size and position of the resulting picture.

If you anonymous FTP to Unix host utah-cs, the files are in
        pub/scribepic.shar

Thanks go to Jim Schimpf for developing the Apollo code.

[PS - If you find there's demand, feel free to post this to
net.sources]

jp

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jul 1985 08:12-EST
From: Patrick.Coddington@CMU-RI-SENSOR.ARPA
Subject: WORD bug?

Has anybody experienced any problems with WORD when trying to do a
manual feed print on the laserwriter? It doesn't seem to be able to
handle it while macwrite does OK.

Pat

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 11 Jul 85 20:21:14 pdt
From: erik%ucbssl.CC@Berkeley (Erik Kilk)
Subject: SimpleTools -- Toolbox programming aid

SimpleTools is a set of subroutines to aid in the most common use of
Macintosh menu, window, dialog, and events programming.  The routines
are written in C using the Megamax compiler but can be used with other
compilers.  Included in the following binhex dumps are five files:
(these may be partially split into more than one file)

 SimpleTools_Doc -- MacWrite description of the routines
 SimpleTools.o -- C object file with the routines
 SimpleTools.c -- C source file with the routines
 SimpleDemo -- A demonstration application
 SimpleDemo.c -- Source code for the demonstration

The purpose of SimpleTools is to ease Macintosh programming for those
small programs you are tempted not to write due to the tremendous
amount of research and work that must be done to use menus, windows,
desk accessories, events, and dialogs.

The binhex files follow.  You will have to use an editor to separate
the files before converting them with binhex.

[I have taken the liberty of separating the files before archiving
them.  --RMA]

SimpleTools_Doc -- Documentation in MacWrite format for SimpleTools, a
set of C subroutines to ease the use of the Macintosh toolbox.

[File archived in [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SIMPLETOOLS.DCC, i. e. a
DOC file in HCX format.  --RMA]

SimpleTools.o -- C object file containing SimpleTools, a set of
subroutines easing the use of the Macintosh toolbox.

[File archived in [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SIMPLETOOLS-OBJ.HCX.
--RMA]

SimpleTools.c -- A set of C subroutines to aid the use of the
Macintosh toolbox routines.

[File archived in [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SIMPLETOOLS-C.HCX.  --RMA]

SimpleDemo -- A small application demonstrating the use of
SimpleTools, a set of C subroutines easing the use of programming with
the Mac toolbox.

[File archived in [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-SIMPLETOOLS.HCX.  --RMA]

SimpleDemo.c -- The source for SimpleDemo.  A demonstration of the use
of SimpleTools, a set of C subroutines easing the use of the Macintosh
toolbox.

[File archived in [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-SIMPLETOOLS-C.HCX.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 16 Jul 85 18:34:37-MDT
From: Tony Jacobs <T-JACOBS@UTAH-20.ARPA>
Subject: Neon owners & users come forth!

I'd like to know who all out there owns or uses Neon.  If you have
never sent mail to me before, could you please send me a line if
you're a Neon fan.

I'm looking to see what kind of interest exists for an ad hoc users
group.

Tony Jacobs t-jacobs@Utah-20

End of INFO-MAC Digest