[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V3 #30

info-mac@uw-beaver (08/07/85)

From: Moderator John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.arpa>

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 6 Aug 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 30

Today's Topics:
                       Resource Editor version 0.7
                      Re: Using QuickDraw Pictures
                          MacDraw and LaserPrep
                        symbolic math on the Mac?
                        Switcher/Ramdisk advice?

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 85 03:33:43 pdt
From: barry@playfair (Barrett P. Eynon)
Subject: Resource Editor 0.7
To: info-mac@sumex

Here's the latest version of ResEdit from Compuserve. Posting comments are
included below.
-Barry Eynon

[76703,1027]
RESED.BIN      23-Jul-85 248880(106208)110

    ResEdit is the Apple Resource Editor.  This is version `Proto# 0.7', newer
    than the one on the May '85 supplement. The version uploaded here has been
    patched to remove a bug. (Sector $B4, Offset $138, was a $6A, now is a
    $69).  ResEdit is copyright1984,1985 by Apple Computer, and is uploaded
    with their permission.  UseResEdit to add, delete, and edit resources;
    see also REdit.BIN, the European resource editor.
                                                    -- Bill Steinberg
    76703,1027

[ Please find the hqx code for Resource Editor v0.7 in
  <info-mac>RESEDIT.HQX -jma ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 5 Aug 85 10:48:56 pdt
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Re: Using QuickDraw Pictures

If you are in the process of creating a Quickdraw picture, you can
temporarily turn off the saving of Quickdraw commands by setting the
picSave field of the grafPort to NIL.  Be sure to save the old value
of this field and restore it afterwards.

Note that saving pictures is done on a per-port basis so that drawing
in 1 port does not affect a picture being captured in another port.
(The original question referred to menu drawing.  The standard
Macintosh menus are drawn in the Window Manager's port, so they
should never conflict with a picture being saved in a program's port.)

There is no problem in saving a picture into a file.  (MacDraw does
this with its PICT file format.)  There is no easy way to append to a
picture, however.  The only thing you can do is start creating a new
picture and as the first Quickdraw operation, draw the old picture.
his will copy the commands from the old picture into the new one,
after which you can do additional drawing.

Larry Rosenstein

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 85 03:38:58 pdt
From: Neal Holtz
From: <holtz%cascade.carleton.cdn%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: MacDraw and LaserPrep

I have only recently started using MacDraw, producing output on a
LaserWriter using the version 13 LaserPrep very kindly forwarded by
Brian Reid several weeks ago.  It is truly wonderful.  Well, almost.
There are at least two aspects of the Laser output that are
indescribably ugly; diagonal lines and arrow heads.

Diagonal lines are drawn at different widths than horizontal and
vertical lines of supposedly the same width.  Presumably this is
fixable by minor changes to the appropriate defs in the laserprep
file, but will this break anything else?  I assume that the authors of
laserprep (not BR, I assume) would not commit such an atrocity without
some sort of reason (and BR's comments in laserprep also imply this).
For example, will gaps then appear in polygons, or will straight lines
not merge with curves (they don't all that well, anyway)?  Has anyone
done this?

Arrow heads are simply short, squat and wrong.  They are drawn as
filled segments of circles (whereas the simplest attractive arrowheads
are isosceles triangles with base 1/3 of height), and they align with
the edge of the shaft, not the center.  Unfortunately they are output
as postscript commands to draw an arc, not to draw an arrowhead.  They
are so ugly that I am seriously tempted to hack the definition of the
arc routine to recognize small partial arcs as arrowheads and draw
them as something else (!!!).  Is there a better way?

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 85 08:13:54 edt
From: mrkgross@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Subject: symbolic math on the Mac?

[ The question was if anyone knew of work on a symbolic math package
  for Macintosh. ]

I was told that people at Utah were working on a symbolic math package in PSL,
also that symbolic math software exists for the IBM PC, and then there's
Stephen Wolfram's SIMP programs.  I thought perhaps somebody is engaged in
either porting something to the mac, or else writing a new one from scratch.
I'm not looking for full MACSYMA functionality but need things like
RATSIMP, SOLVE-FOR, and all the nitty-gritty routines for the symbolic
manipulation of equations.  We're working on constraint-based programming
environments (in lisp) and having a ready-made math package would help,
preferably one written in lisp with sources available...

------------------------------

Subject: Switcher/Ramdisk advice?
Date: 06 Aug 85 06:42:57 EDT (Tue)
From: zim@mitre.ARPA

Could somebody give me a pointer to any authoritative (or nonauthoritative)
discussion of how to optimally use Switcher &/or a Ramdisk?  Specifically,
how much memory do various programs need/like, which programs can't have
multiple copies running simultaneously, what's the best strategy for size
and files on a startup Ramdisk, etc.?  I've only seen scattered, fragmentary
discussions here and in a few magazines....tnx-z

End of INFO-MAC Digest