[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V3 #31

info-mac@uw-beaver (08/09/85)

From: Moderator John Mark Agosta <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.arpa>

INFO-MAC Digest           Friday, 9 Aug 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 31

Today's Topics:
            New Sumacc header files: grafvars.h and grafequ.h
                  Scribe equation previewer application
       Obnoxiousness alert:beware of  MacDraft's copy protection!
                       MacDraw and LaserPrep help?
                        Synchronous Communication
                  Security devices for Laser Writers ?
                          List of users' groups

Date: Sun, 4 Aug 85 04:05:07 edt
From: Doug Moen <kdmoen%watcgl%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: New Sumacc header files: grafvars.h and grafequ.h

: This is a shar archive.	Extract with sh, not csh.
: The rest of this file will extract:
: README grafequ.h grafvars.h
echo Extracting README
cat > README << 'e-o-f'

Here are some new Sumacc header files.
Grafvars.h describes the global variables in memory locations $800 to $8FF.
Grafequ.h is the assember version.

Among other things, there are variables here that allow one to
restrict the cursor to a given rectangle, or constrain it to fall
on a grid position, as it does in MacPaint with the 'Grid' option
turned on.
---
Doug Moen (watmath!watcgl!kdmoen)
University of Waterloo Computer Graphics Lab

e-o-f

[ The whole shar file may be found in <INFO-MAC>SUMACC-GRAFVARS.SHAR -jma ]

------------------------------

Date: 7 Aug 85 02:25 PDT
From: Fischer.pa@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: Scribe equation previewer application

I developed a scribe equation previewer for the Macintosh while working
at Rutgers University (written in Consulair C).  It was supposed to
become into a desk accessory and work with Macterminal through the
scrap.

As an application it worked fine.  Displayed the convoluted (but
syntactically simple) Scribe equations properly centered, bolded, right
character set, etc.

But, I left Rutgers and don't have a Mac to finish it with.  I was
wondering if anyone out there (probably at a university) would be
interested in finishing it.  Consulair tells me that there've been
several desk accesories written with their software.  The resulting code
would have to be public domain (and you'd have to have your own copy of
the Consulair C Compiler).

Seems unlikely but I thought I'd ask...

Anyone going on vacation and need a babysitter for their Mac?

(ron)

------------------------------

Date: 8 Aug 1985 1124-PDT (Thursday)
From: Brian Reid <reid@Glacier>
Subject: Obnoxiousness alert:beware of  MacDraft's copy protection!

I just got delivery on a program called "MacDraft" from Innovative Data
Design of Concord, California. This is a very nice drafting program, but I
strongly recommend that people not buy it because its protection behavior is
so %$^&$^$#* obnoxious. Here's why:

- The main use of a program like this is with the LaserWriter. Although
  it can output to the Imagewriter, many of its more subtle features
  are lost on the Imagewriter.

- The distributed version of the program cannot be copied with CopyII Mac.
  (I suspect that they are diddling around with the speed control of the
  disk drive motor)

- The distributed version of the program comes with Imagewriter support.
  To use it with the LaserWriter you have to run the "Install Printer"
  program to install a LaserWriter driver on the disk.

- Therefore, if you want to use this program with the LaserWriter you
  must do one of these two things:
	* Write over top of your one and only copy of the distribution disk
	  to get the LaserWriter installed on it
   or	* Live with the copy, using the "signature disk" scheme.

BUT: here's the kicker. The copy protection scheme asks you to put in the
signature disk EACH TIME THE APPLICATION IS LAUNCHED!!!!! Yesterday I was
ready to strangle somebody as I was switching back and forth between
MacTerminal and MacDraft. Every time I fired up MacDraft it said "Please
insert the Master Disk". Grrrr!

This is inexcusable behavior in a $250 piece of software, no matter how good
it is.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 Aug 85 22:07 EDT
From: Hess@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: MacDraw and LaserPrep help?

Yeah, well try doing a curved box by doing four circular arcs, attached
to two vertical lines (i.e., a sort of rounded screen for a computer
manual).  Then, fill the areas you end up with with some grey scale
pattern.  You'll see some little square glitches taken out of the
junctions of the arcs and the vertical lines, which are the grey scale
overlapping onto the black lines.  And I don't know of any way to get
rid of them.  Anybody know any tricks?

Brian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 Aug 85 16:40:41 edt
From: Rich Angle <rla%lems%brown.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Synchronous Communication

I am interested in configuring port A (the modem port) for synchronous
communication, ultimately configuring the z8530 in the SDLC mode.

To accomplish this I see one of two methods. One, does anyone know the address
of the Zilog 8530 SCC, port A, WR0; two does anyone know the where abouts
of a synchronous driver for the ports.

Also I have some information on the asynchronous driver for the Mac and it
says that the RS-232 HSK line can be used as a clock for pin TRxC on the
z8530, but no information on how to configure it that way. Any hints?

Any help or information on where to get help would be greatly appreciated!

	Thanks,

		Rich Angle

					Mail: rla@lems

------------------------------

Date: 8 Aug 1985 1414-PDT (Thursday)
From: James Wilson <jwilson@Pescadero>
Subject: Security devices for Laser Writers ?

    We would like to secure a Laser Writer to some piece of furniture.
Does Apple make any such device?

    Does anyone have any ideas on how to best secure the Laser Writer?
We would prefer not to drill any holes into the printer if possible.

Thanks
James Wilson

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Jul 85 18:40:54 EDT
From: MacTechnics_User_Group%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: List of users' groups

This is a list of user's groups that responded to my survey request.
Sorry it has taken so long to get this information cleaned up and out
to all of you that sent me mail.

I had hoped to get more responses, but this is what I have received so
far about the user groups for the Macintosh.  If anyone else out there
sends me any other information I promise to compile it and release it
much sooner next time.

Thanks!   Monte Fowler, MacTechnics

***********************************

 1) MacTechnics
 2) PO Box 4063   Ann Arbor, MI  48106
 3) Monte Fowler, Vice Pres  (313) 761-5682
    Rajiv Aggarwal, Pres     (313) 663-6490
 4) Dues $20/yr; about 350 members; meetings once a month on the third
    Saturday; 12 newsletters/yr; 52 disks of public domain software

 From: gruber%bgsu.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

 This is all I have at present about the Bowling Green Mac user's group:

 1) No Name
 2) Address will follow, I will be happy to forward mail temporarily.
 3) Lee Skarha (President)
 4) Dues, $2; about 40 members; most members are Mac owners interested in
    word processing and other standard micro uses. The membership includes
    Mac people who are not BGSU affiliated.
 The group is a pretty informal one, they are a lot more interested in talking
 about Macs than organizing.

 From: tecot%cmu-cs-k.arpa@CMU-CS-K.ARPA

 Carnegie-Mellon Macintosh Users' Group (CMU-MUG)
 Box 661, 5115 Margaret Morrison Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213
 Ed Tecot (Pres.) (412) 421-0139 until August 15
 $24/year, includes use of clubroom with Mac 512K's and Mac XL's
 Monthly newsletter (MacNuggets) except occasionally in the fall.
 Currently >100 members.

 From: liberte@Uiuc.ARPA
 Champaign-Urbana Macintosh Users Group
 1310 N Broadway, Urbana, IL 61801
 Barbara Lence, Newschief 217-328-5842
 $15 yearly dues.  Currently 120 members.  33 club disks @ $5.
 20 officers write articles, answer questions, copy club disks free.

 Dan LaLiberte

 From: ihnp4!ihexp!dafa%Berkeley@UCB-VAX.ARPA

 Dear Mr. Fowler,
           Here is some information about Mac Clubs in the Chicago area. There
 are other groups as well, but these are the ones I am most familiar
 with.

           1. Macintosh Users Group (AT&T Bell Laboratories, Indian Hill)
           2. 6C-320, Bell Laboratories, Naperville-Wheaton Rd., Naperville,
              IL, 60566
           3. David Fay (President), (312) 979-6508
           4. No dues, membership limited to AT&T employees, 90 members, joint
              monthly newsletter with Fermilab and Argonne Mac groups

           1. Fermilab Macintosh Users Group (Fermilab)
           2. M/S 223, Box 500, Batavia, IL 60510
           3. John Urish (President), (312) 840-3017
           4. No dues, open meetings, 75 members, joint monthly newsletter
              with Bell Labs and Argonne Mac groups

           1. ANL Mac Users Group (Argonne National Laboratory)
           2. 9700 S. Cass Ave., Argonne, IL, 60439
           3. Bob Kampwirth (President), (312) 972-5521
           4. No dues, 65 members, joint monthly newsletter with Bell Labs
              and Fermilab

           1. The Rest of Us (Chicago)
           2. 1225 W. Farwell, Chicago, IL, 60626
           3. Tom Broderson, (312) 641-1266
           4. Meets 3rd Wed. of month, membership $40, monthly newsletter

 David Fay
 AT&T Bell Labs
 ...!ihnp4!ihexp!dafa

 From: warner%clemson.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

 1)  CAUSE - Clemson Apple Users' group and Software Exchange
 2)  419 Shorecrest Dr.
     Clemson, SC  29631
           - or -
     Dept of Mathematical Sciences
     Clemson University
     Clemson, SC  29631
 3)  Dan Warner  (President)
     (803) 656-3434 (office)
     (803) 654-7420 (home)
 4)  Dues $12 a year.
     The group currently has 74 paid members, who are about evenly
     divided between Apple II and Mac owners.  Educational software
     is a strong interest in both groups.
     Services include a newsletter, monthly meetings, volume discount
     purchases, PDS software @ $4 a disk, discounts at local dealers,
     and a local BBS.

 From: munnari!runx.oz!johnr@seismo.ARPA

 Hi. Here's an international addition for your MAC users group list.
 Perhaps it would be possible to forward me your completed version
 if it isn't posted on fa.info-mac.

 Apple Users' Group (Sydney)
 P.O. Box 505,
 Bankstown, NSW 2200.
 AUSTRALIA.

 I don't think you'll really want an international phone number,
 but you might want to include my net.address. (I am the public
 relations officer.)

 Joining Fee:          $15
 Annual Subscription:  $20
 Overseas Surface Mail $4

 10 magazines per year, discounts at shops, etc.

 The group was originally for Apple II users, but now also has Macintosh
 meetings and software library. Also SIG for programming & small business.

 Good luck.

 John Rotenstein.
 Sydney, Australia.

 CSNET: johnr@runx.oz
 ARPA:  johnr%runx.oz@seismo.arpa
 UUCP:  ...mulga!runx.oz!johnr

 From: CRNL20B%CORNELLC.BITNET%Berkeley@UCB-VAX.ARPA

 1. MUGWUMP (Macintosh Users Group for Writers and Users of Mac Programs)
    The Cornell University Mac users group
 2. c/o Distributed Computing Services
    401 Uris Hall
    Cornell University
    Ithaca, New York  14853
 3. Chris Pelkie, Technical Consultant, MUGger Emeritus (cofounder)
 4. No dues, subscription to MUGgers Monthly (7-12 pages monthly) is $5/annum,
    plus postage for off-campus mailings. Free trade subscription to other
    reciprocating user groups.
 5. 250 people on mailing list. Regularly 60-70 at meetings.
 6. Also sponsor SIGNUM (Novice Users), and a Developers cum Hackers SIG.

[ There a copy of this list in NEWS-MUGS.TXT -jma ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest