[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V3 #35

info-mac@uw-beaver (08/25/85)

From: Moderator Richard M. Alderson <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.arpa>

INFO-MAC Digest         Saturday, 24 Aug 1985      Volume 3 : Issue 35

Today's Topics:
                            Macintosh Pinouts
                           LaserWriter Problem
                           Shareware Assembler
                              FreeTerm V1.6
                               MenuEditor
                               PurgeIcons
              Trans2 (Application to application transfer)
                         UFinder (micro Finder)
                                 LAZlife
                              MacBreeze fan
                          Screen dumps, a query
                        Re: Smalltalk on the LISA
                    Comment on the purposed standard
                             CD Rom, a query
                        Database Systems, a query
                    Unix nroff/troff and Laserwriter
                  MacWrite to QMS LaserGrafix, a query
                            Re: Users' Groups
                       Mac User Groups (LONG--8K)

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 11:50:39 pdt
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Macintosh Pinouts

Enclosed is a Macintosh Technical note (in the form of a MacWrite 4.5 document)
that describes the pinouts for all the Macintosh ports as well as many
peripherals.

Larry Rosenstein

[This document is archived in [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>PINOUT-DOC.HQX.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 85 15:11 EST
From: Dave Elbon  <SYSDAVE%UKCC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: LaserWriter Problem

Every LaserWriter that I have tried (I've tried 6) prints lines too long in the
horizontal direction (in portrait orientation).  If I try to draw a 6-inch
horizontal line it prints as about 6 1/8; vertical lines print correctly.
Several Mac programs did this, so I sent the printer the PostScript code myself
and it still did it.  Any ideas?

Acknowledge-To: Dave Elbon <SYSDAVE@UKCC>

------------------------------

Date: Fri 16 Aug 85 00:52:40-PDT
From: Jean-Luc Brouillet <BROUILLET@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Shareware Assembler

The following files contain a shareware assembler for the Mac, the
corresponding linker, complete documentation, and a sample output.

This assembler does not produce output compatible with the MDS package.  One
nice feature tough, is that you can define your resources directly in your
assembly file!

The example is a program that list a file to the printer.  Only the output
listing is included (and has been edited to remove most of the page headers).

				Jean-Luc Brouillet

[The following files have been added to [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>:  McAsm.HQX, the
assembler proper; McAsmDoc.HQX, the documentation in MacWrite format; and
McLister.HQX, the example program.  I would like to thank Jean-Luc publicly for
his perseverance in posting these, in spite of technical difficulties.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 8:24:52 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: FreeTerm V1.6

The following program is FreeTerm V1.6 downloaded from Compuserve.  It is
copyrighted by the author, but with permission for personal use by anyone.
This communications program has XMODEM file transfer capability with the
additional capability of transferring MacBinary format files.  When it receives
a MacBinary format file, it dehexifies it "on the fly" so that when the
download is completed you have a standard Macintosh file.  This saves you from
the hassle (and disk space) of having to deal with a hex file yourself.

Dehexify this program using BinHex.Hex, which is available on the Info-Mac
database at SUMEX-AIM.

Enjoy,

Gary P. Standorf           <standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

[This program is archived as [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FREETERM.HCX.  It can be
converted with any version of BinHex from 2.1 or after.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 8:31:03 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: MenuEditor

The following program is a menu editor downloaded from Compuserve.  It allows
you to add menus to an application and add command keys to individual menu
items.

Dehexify this program with BinHex.Hex.

Gary P. Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

[This program can be found in [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MENU-EDITOR.HCX.  Use
any version of BinHex from 2.1 on to convert it.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 8:34:45 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: PurgeIcons

The following program purges unused icons from a disk in order to reclaim the
disk space occupied by them.

Dehexify with BinHex.Hex.

Gary P. Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

[This program is archived in [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PURGEICONS.HCX.  Any
version of BinHex from 2.1 on will convert it.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 8:38:28 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: Trans2 (Application to application transfer)

The following program is a desk accessory downloaded from Compuserve which
transfers directly from an application to another application on any disk
without the intermediate step of going through the Finder.

Dehexify it using BinHex.Hex.

Gary P. Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

[This desk accessory is filed as [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>DA-TRANS2.HCX.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 8:42:08 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: UFinder (micro Finder)

The following program, downloaded from Compuserve, transfers to an application
without going through the Finder.  If the program is loaded on the same disk as
the Finder, the application will return to the UFinder rather than the Finder
upon termination.  It saves some time.

Dehexify with BinHex.Hex.

Gary P. Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>

[This program is archived as [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MICROFINDER.HCX.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 10:57 PST
From: Dave Platt <Dave-Platt%LADC@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: LAZlife

Here's the .HQX file for the LAZlife game that Craig MacFarlane mentioned.

like it, please send a few bucks to Larry Hutchinson, 6950 SW Juniper Terr,
Beaverton OR 97005.  Please include any suggestions for improvements (cut,copy&
paste are planned)."

Sounds friendly enough (i.e., no "You must pay $n within m days or erase all
traces of this program from your disks" as is found in Red Ryder & some other
shareware stuff).  Anyhow, I'll leave it up to you to decide whether the
potential hassle exceeds the INFO-Mac thresholds.  I've posted a copy directly
to Craig MacFarlane, so his request (at least) has been satisfied; I don't know
how many other people would be interested in getting this.  If you decide not
to post this, and get a few (<= 10) additional "I'd like a copy too" requests
from other people on the net, drop me a list of their addresses and I'll post
copies directly (or point them to a bulletin board that has a copy of LAZlife
online & available for downloading).

[The program is archived in [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-LAZLIFE.HQX.

Honesty compels me to state that this posting is a combination of two messages
from Mr. Platt.  The first contained the first sentence and the text of the
program; the second is the remainder and came as a response to my question
about the status of LAZlife.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 15:57:32 EDT
From: Leigh L. Klotz <KLOTZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: MacBreeze fan

I just bought a MacBreeze fan at the MacWorld show in Boston for $39.  It seems
to be about like the Dragonfly fan mentioned in info-mac earlier.  We called
Dragonfly on the phone but they didn't answer, so I bought one of these.

It clips on two two diodes and mounts on the inner side of the floppy disk
case.  You plunk down two velcro strips and use two more as intermediates to
connect to the fan, which has velcro strips already attached.  I was confused
for a while because the illustration in the instructions shows one of the
strips being connected in an impossible configuration, but it worked out when I
folded it once.

It's very quiet.  If you put your ear on the cooling vents you can hear a 60hz
hum, which could easily be mistaken for a transformer.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer, Levco, didn't put their address or phone
number on the information sheet, so you'll have to find them yourself.  They
sell some flavor of memory upgrade, so presumably they're already known for
that.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 15:56:58 pdt
From: lll-bio!tom@lll-crg.ARPA
Subject: Screen dumps, a query

Recently, I have been trying to produce a screen dump onto a Macintosh printer
from within a C program using an Aztec C compiler (Vers. 1.06F).  I have been
experimenting with the following commands unsuccessfully:

   PrOpen();
   PrCtlCall(iPrEvtCtl, iPrEvtAll, 0, 0);
   PrClose();

I have the Imagewriter resource in my directory, but I have been unable to open
the resource using OpenResFile(filename).  Is there anyone who knows how to
produce a screen dump from within a C program?  If so, I would like to find out
how.  Also, is there an easy way to determine the resource ID of a resource?
Thank you for your help.

David Lim/Tom Slezak
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
slezak@lll-crg
...ucbvax!lbl-csam!lll-crg!slezak

------------------------------

From: fouts@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Marty)
Date: 21 Aug 1985 1902-PDT (Wednesday)
Subject: Re: Smalltalk on the LISA

Kevin Crowston (kevin@harvard) pointed me in the right direction R. E.
Smalltalk for the MacLump.

It seems that one needs to get an orderform from Apple via a phone call to
Ilene Crombie (spelling?) at (408) 973-2940, who provides an order form by U.S.
Mail.

The software is then available from:

     RSI
     520 Weddell Drive, Suite 8
     Sunnyvale, CA 94086
     (408) 747-1288

So as soon as I get my order forms, I'm going to get the system.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Marty

------------------------------

Date: 09 Aug 85 08:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Subject: Comment on the purposed standard

My first comment on the purposed standard is that while the assignment of many
of the keys is very good for text-editing type programs, or those that make use
of multiple type styles; however, for a editing program such as Edit (used by
most development systems) I would prefer that many of the programs use O, S, W,
N, P for Open, Save, Close, New, and Print in that order.  Most of the others
are okay the way they are, but I think that OUTLINE in particular isn't (or
shouldnt) be used often enough to warrent it taking up a command key.

**FLAME ON**
While we are talking about command keys, I would like to make a comment to
developers of programs.  Command key support is supposed to take place ENTIRELY
in your event loop.  Many programs seem to be doing some internal checking
(MacPaint is a culprit her) that they shouldn't be doing.  Command key
equivalents should be pulled ENTIRELY from the menu resources.  This means that
if you don't like the chosen arrangment of the keys (or command key just aren't
there) you can change them.  So don't code them in your program, that's what
resources are FOR!!!! **FLAME OFF**
                                   - Tom Dowdy
"If it jams, force it, if it breaks, it needed fixing anyway."

------------------------------

Date: 22 Aug 85 09:10:11 PDT (Thursday)
From: Cate3.SV@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: CD Rom, a query

Are there CD ROM's available for the Mac now?  Or will there be some soon?  Who
is (will be) making them?  If someone has names of people to talk to and
addresses that would be appreciated.

     Henry III

------------------------------

Date: Thu 22 Aug 85 14:52:38-PDT
From: Marvin Zauderer <ZAUDERER@SU-SUSHI.ARPA>
Subject: Database Systems, a query

I'm interested in finding a fast, robust, and reliable Mac database system.
Ideally, it would run under XL/Serve, and would be able to manage a large
amount (say 5-10MB) of information.  It should also have the necessary
searching and sorting features.  Also, there should be a facility for storing
code.  For example, one might copy some Mac C code onto a Clipboard, move the
Clipboard File to the database's disk, and then paste the code into the
database.  The ability to import MacPaint pictures is also desirable.

Any recommendations?

-- Marvin Zauderer
   (Zauderer@SU-SUSHI)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 85 13:17:39 PDT
From: wensley%ucbdegas@Berkeley (Paul Robert Wensley)
Subject: Unix nroff/troff and Laserwriter

This has probably been asked/answered before, but I was wondering if there was
some software that would allow Unix nroff/troff documents to be printed on a
LaserWriter.  It could either convert the nroff files to some Apple compatable
file (MacWrite etc.) or else directly generate the correct output for printing
on the LaserWriter (PostScript?).

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

	Paul Wensley
	ucbvax!ucbdegas!wensley

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Aug 85 15:33 CDT
From: Stewart_French <french%ti-eg.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: MacWrite to QMS LaserGrafix, a query

Anybody have a MacWrite to QMS LaserGrafix utility for VMS or UNIX?  I could
sure use one!

-Stewart French
french%ti-eg@csnet-relay

------------------------------

Date: 9 Aug 85 04:32:44 EDT
From: Edward.Tecot@CMU-CS-K
Subject: Re: Users' Groups

CMU-MUG's mailing address is now:
Carnegie-Mellon Macintosh Users' Group
Carnegie-Mellon University, Skibo 103
Pittsburgh, PA 15213

					_emt

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 Aug 85 18:02:30 EDT
From: MacTechnics_User_Group%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Mac User Groups (LONG--8K)

Hello Everyone!  Here is the latest update on Mac User groups around the USA.
If your group is not on the list, then send me a message!  INFO-MAC Volume 3
issue 31 has the list previous to this one.

 Keep those messages coming....Monte Fowler  MacTechnics in Ann Arbor

 MacTechnics%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA

PS It would be best to send them in the form

1) Usergroup name
2) Address
3) Contact person(s)
4) any important info on the group (newsletters, dues, #members, Special
   Interest Groups [SIGS])

 1)   PMUG - Princeton Apple Users' Group

 2)   Phillip Thompson  (President)
      C-430, E-Quad
      Princeton University
      Princeton, NJ  08544
      (609) 452-6297  (office)
            - or -
      Tom Mackie  (Newsletter Editor)
      10 Bayard Lane
      Princeton, NJ  08540
      (609) 924-7561 (home)

  3)  Dues $5 a year.
      The group currently has about 75 paid members, although this will
      increase significantly in the Fall (Princeton has no Summer session).
      Services include a monthly newsletter, 3 meetings a month (one major
      meeting on main campus and two luncheon meetings at Plasma Physics),
      PDS software @ $4 a disk, and a local BBS (which currently is not
      accessible off-campus). Princeton hosted a MacFair in May that drew
      about 400 attendees, and will have another in early October which
      will probably double that figure.

 Subject: List of Mac clubs
 To: MacTechnics User Group
 From: Dave-Platt%LADC@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA

 I found this list on the Firesign Theatre bulletin-board system.
 I'm not sure how up-to-date it is (a list of Mac bulletin boards found
 in the same place had at least one number that has been disconnected).

 Here is a list of Macintosh clubs  compiled by

 Christopher Allen (P.O. Box 10262, Jacksonville, FL 32247; (904)
 396-6952; CompuServe 76703,472; MCI MAIL:  DOTP).  This information
 originally appeared on CompuServe and is listed here with his permission.
 I'm sure he would appreciate hearing from you if you have updated
 information or if you have contacted any of the unconfirmed user groups
 or bulletin boards.

         N           --Gregg Williams

 CONFIRMED MACINTOSH USER GROUPS

 ( Confirmed means that Mr. Allen has actually received something from
 this user group, or has spoken on the phone with an officer of the group.

 Amateur Computer Group of New Jersey
 Macintosh Users Group (ACG-NJ MUG)
 698 Magnolia Rd.
 North Brunswick, NJ  08902
 Keith Sproul, Co-ordinator
 (201) 821-4828

 Assoc. of Apple 32 Users
 P.O. Box 634
 Santa Clara, CA  95052
 Allen Clara, President
 Newsletter:  ICON (Syd Hymes  -- Editor)

 Boston Computer Society
 Macintosh Users Group
 1 Center Plaza,
 Boston, MA  02108