[fa.info-mac] INFO-MAC Digest V3 #42

info-mac@uw-beaver (09/20/85)

From: Moderator Richard M. Alderson <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.arpa>

INFO-MAC Digest          Friday, 20 Sep 1985       Volume 3 : Issue 42

Today's Topics:
                      utility-toolvars.h [problem]
                              Switcher 4.4
                            Font/DA Mover 2.3
                       Bill Atkinson's Paintmover
                             Inside Switcher
            is there a usable Pascal or Modula-2 for the Mac?
                              Mac compilers
                                Smalltalk
                       Obvious question [on menus]
                     Medical Practice software query
                     AppleTalk & Zilog Unix Systems
                         AppleTalk cable pricing

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 85 02:57:14 EDT
From: Leigh L. Klotz <KLOTZ@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: utility-toolvars.h [problem]

I found what appears to be a problem with one of the definitions in the
toolvars.h file.  teScrpLength is defined to be an int at location 0xAB0,
and indeed it appears to have four bytes allocated to it.

However, when I tried to write TEToScrap for SUMACC I found that only two
bytes of the information was valid.  My copy of Inside Mac doesn't say
explicitly whether the variable is two bytes or four, although the
TEScrpLength function is defined to return a four byte integer.

Is there something I'm overlooking, or is the obvious declaration of int
rather than short incorrect?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 85 10:50:12 pdt
From: barry@playfair (Barrett P. Eynon)
Subject: Switcher 4.4

Here's Switcher 4.4, from the Berkeley MUG bboard. In HQX format.
-Barry

[Available from SUMEX as <INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SWITCHER-44.HQX.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 85 10:56:58 pdt
From: barry@playfair (Barrett P. Eynon)
Subject: Font/DA Mover 2.3

Here's Font/DA Mover version 2.3, also from the Berkeley bbd.
In HQX format.
-Barry Eynon

[This program is archived as [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FONT-DA-MOVER.HQX.
--RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 85 10:59:20 pdt
From: barry@playfair (Barrett P. Eynon)
Subject: Bill Atkinson's Paintmover

Here's an early version of Bill Atkinson's Paintmover program, which
allows copying full pages of Paint documents and other neat tricks.
In HQX format.
-Barry Eynon

[Archived as [SUMEX]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PAINTMOVER.HQX.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Sep 85 10:54:50 pdt
From: barry@playfair (Barrett P. Eynon)
Subject: Inside Switcher

Here's a draft of Inside Switcher Andy Hertzfeld posted on Compuserve.
A Macwrite 4.5 document, in HQX format.
-Barry Eynon

[Available from SUMEX as <INFO-MAC>INSIDE-SWITCHER.HQX.  --RMA]

------------------------------

Date: 19 Sep 1985 1009-PDT (Thursday)
From: Brian Reid <reid@glacier>
Subject: is there a usable Pascal or Modula-2 for the Mac?

Next week I start teaching a big class that will have lots of programming
assignments.  I would like to tell students that they are free to use their
Macintosh computers to do their class programs, but in fact I have never
seen a Pascal or Modula-2 for the Mac that is usable.  MacPascal is
certainly no good--it doesn't implement the entire language and it dies
horribly on medium-to-large programs.

I'd like to know if anybody out there has personally succeeded in getting a
400-line Pascal or Modula-2 program to work on a Macintosh without
suffering horribly.  I have this horrible fear that I'm going to have to
have my class use (bletch) IBM-PC's.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 85 10:33 PDT
From: King.PASA@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: Mac compilers

I am currently in the market for purchasing a compiler in C or Pascal
available on the Mac.  If anyone could directly me to any reference in
magazines or books about comparing different compilers for the Mac would be
very helpful.  Any comments and suggestions about C and Pascal compilers
are welcomed.  I will post the result upon request.  Thanks in advance.

Irwin

------------------------------

Date: Tue 17 Sep 85 19:51:43-PDT
From: DBECK@SRI-KL.ARPA
Subject: Smalltalk

Is anyone tinkering with the Smalltalk-80 from Apple?  I have been running
the Level0 Image on a dual-floppy 512K Mac and so far it follows the
Smalltalk-80, The Interactive Programming Environment quite well.  The only
pain is considering the cost (1 meg.  of memory, 20 meg of new Apple Hard
Disk) to get Level1 running.  From my position of abyssal ignorance I will
be glad to discuss/exchange ideas.

Doug Beck   dbeck@sri-kl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 85 23:18:02 EDT
From: lewis@harvard.ARPA (Harry Lewis)
Subject: Obvious question [on menus]

This question must have occurred to others, and maybe it's been answered,
but the answer isn't anywhere in Inside Mac that I can find.

When a menu is pulled down, where do the bits it covers get saved so they
can be restored when the menu snaps up again?  Can anyone but the menu
manager use that buffer space, whereever it may be?

------------------------------

Date: 19 Sep 85 10:51 PDT
From: Ghenis.pasa@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: Medical Practice software query

I am posting this query for a friend who is going into practice as a
doctor.  He wants to know about programs that will allow him to keep track
of patients' visits, history (condition/therapy/results) and billing.  Any
other capabilities would be a plus.  He wants something that will do the
job out of the box (no 1-2-3 or DBase-II) since he is new to computers, and
for the same reason it must be very user-friendly.  It can run on any
machine, since he doesn't own a computer yet and will probably make his
hardware choice based on his choice of software.  I have already told him
that for that kind of application he MUST have a hard disk, otherwise I
guess it's pretty wide open:  CP/M, MS-DOS, Apple-II, Mac...

How is that for a wish list?  Any info on capabilities, required hardware,
publisher, price will be appreciated.  Reply to me, I will summarize and
repost if there is enough interest.

------------------------------

From: kangaro!milo@Purdue.EDU
Subject: AppleTalk & Zilog Unix Systems
Date: Mon Sep 16 14:31:11 1985

I have heard that there is a piece of software available for the Zilog 8000
series Unix based computers that allows them to operate as a file-server
and a node on an AppleTalk network.  I would be interested in talking with
anyone who has any experience using the Zilog/AppleTalk link.  I am trying
to find out what kind of features are available to the Mac user when using
this software.

I would also be interested in any other special-purpose programs for
linking Mac's to Unix systems (I already know about the uw program) that
allow use of the Unix system as a file server (either through AppleTalk or
RS-232).

Please Reply directly--I don't get Info-Mac at this site.

Greg Corson
UUCP: {ihnp4 | ucbvax}!pur-ee!kangaro!milo
ARPA: kangaro!milo@ecn@Purdue.ARPA  or kangaro!milo@ee.Purdue.EDU
Or send a message to the sysop on The Connection BBS (219) 277-5825

------------------------------

Date: 18 Sep 85 11:46:08 EDT
From: KROWITZ@MIT-MARIE
Subject: AppleTalk cable pricing

I called up an Apple distributor to find out how much the AppleTalk custom
wiring kit cost, and found out that 300 feet of wire (shielded one twisted
pair) and a handfull of connectors is (get this) $600.00!  Yup, that's $2 a
foot for cable that normally costs about $0.10 to $0.30 a foot from a
normal wire and cable distributor.  The only problem is where do you get
the little three prong connectors that are used with the AppleTalk wires?
Does anyone know a part number or a manufacturer that stocks these
connectors?

						-- Dave Krowtiz
						  ( DAVID@MIT-MC.ARPA )

End of INFO-MAC Digest