[net.sci] response to John Krueger

dorettas@iddic.UUCP (Doretta Schrock) (10/22/85)

Sorry, John.

I don't know if anyone else is reading this newsgroup or not either, but
I didn't reply to your reply for a couple of reasons.  The first is that I
couldn't make the mail do its thing and send to you.  Are you still there?
The second is that I'd like to keep the neurology discussion you started
going here so others can participate (if there are any of them).  Since I
thought I had answered all of your objections in my last posting, the ball
is in your court to restate (and restart) your arguments.

		Hope to see you post soon.

		Mike Sellers

pamp@bcsaic.UUCP (pam pincha) (10/24/85)

In article <2247@iddic.UUCP> dorettas@iddic.UUCP (Mike Sellers) writes:
>Sorry, John.
>
>I don't know if anyone else is reading this newsgroup or not either, but
>I didn't reply to your reply for a couple of reasons.  The first is that I
>couldn't make the mail do its thing and send to you.  Are you still there?
>The second is that I'd like to keep the neurology discussion you started
>going here so others can participate (if there are any of them).  Since I
>thought I had answered all of your objections in my last posting, the ball
>is in your court to restate (and restart) your arguments.

 I missed it also. I would also like to see more of that discussion
myself.

Also has anyone heard anything about utilizing brain wave patterns
for identifying spoken words recently? There was some work out of
University of Missouri medical center by some gut named Donald York.
Has anyone come across anything like that? If you have, please mail
it to me.Thanks in advance.

			P.M.Pincha-Wagener

mls@husky.uucp (Mark Stevans) (10/25/85)

I came into the discussion when Jon (short for Jonathan, not John -- I guess
we can dispense with last names unless there's signs of other life in
net.sci besides the three of us (hint)) quoted you (with little or no
context) as saying something along the lines of:

	"The affective behaviour of infants is limited, of course,
	due to their neurological immaturity."

John then made some claims.  I contested them.  He made an extremely long
reply to me, to which I have reserved my judgment.

Perhaps, Mike, if you could repost your article that started this mini-debate,
this newsgroup may be pointed in an informative and intellectually satisfying
direction, such that other readers (if any) might then be interested enough to
actively participate.

					Mark Stevans
					ritcv!husky!mls

pablo@uw-june (David Cohn) (10/25/85)

This may or may not be in the appropriate newsgroup, but since the question
was asked, I might as well pitch in what I know. (won't take long :-)
I remember about 5 or 6 years ago somebody having done some work on color
recognition to brainwave patterns, reportedly with a lot of success. The
subject would see only a particular color and be told to concentrate on
the color itself, and somehow the experimentor was able to find a standard
brainwave somewhere that was common to the color and unique from other colors.
I saw these results at a science expo in Denver so, unfortunately, I've got
no idea of the references.
---
-Pablo ( !uw-beaver!uw-june!pablo)

"Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before." -B. Orr