[net.sci] Question about Electricity

mej@hlwpc.UUCP (Michael Jacobs) (10/28/85)

A question came up over the weekend about electricity.
If you put a live electrical wire into a large
swimming pool, what happens to the current?
Does it flow in a localize region around the
wire?  Does it distribute evenly over the
volume of the pool?  Does it peter out slowly
over distance from the wires, due to
the resistance of the water?

Please post replies.
And thanks.
.

ralphd@teklds.UUCP (Ralph Durtschi) (10/29/85)

> A question came up over the weekend about electricity.
> If you put a live electrical wire into a large
> swimming pool, what happens to the current?

My guess is that, if you could see it, the current would look something
like fuzzy lightening between the wire and ground (probably the drain).

Bye, Ralph

ayers@convexs.UUCP (10/30/85)

>A question came up over the weekend about electricity.
>If you put a live electrical wire into a large
>swimming pool, what happens to the current?
>Does it flow in a localize region around the
>wire?  Does it distribute evenly over the
>volume of the pool?  Does it peter out slowly
>over distance from the wires, due to
>the resistance of the water?

it just drips off the end of the wire and collects in a pile at
the lowest point of the pool...

So come and walk awhile with me and share
The twisting trails and wondrous worlds I've known.
But this bridge will only take you halfway there--
The last few steps you'll have to take alone.

<Shel Silverstein>

			    (EE bygum 'e's a bad 'un)

				<Shush, Centerfold!>

				    Dangermoose
				   (& blues, II)

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (10/30/85)

++
> If you put a live electrical wire into a large
> swimming pool, what happens to the current?

This is just an educated guess but, I would think that the current
would flow from the point of the end of the wire to the ground in
a quickly widening cone.  Since the electons repel each other, the
main current would take up as much of the conductor as it can while still
having some component in the direction toward the ground.  In addition,
there might be eddy currents all over the place, especially if it is
AC or (worse) lightning, which is why you would probably get electrocuted
no matter where you were in the water.
-Mark

sgcpal@watdcsu.UUCP (P.A. Layman [EE-SiDIC]) (11/01/85)

In article <662@petrus.UUCP> mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) writes:
>++
>> If you put a live electrical wire into a large
>> swimming pool, what happens to the current?
>
>This is just an educated guess but, I would think that the current
>would flow from the point of the end of the wire to the ground in
>a quickly widening cone.  Since the electons repel each other, the
>main current would take up as much of the conductor as it can while still
>having some component in the direction toward the ground.  In addition,
>there might be eddy currents all over the place, especially if it is
>AC or (worse) lightning, which is why you would probably get electrocuted
>no matter where you were in the water.
>-Mark

Guess is right.  Althougth their is no simple answer to the question,
we can quickly approximate 2 cases, using the point form of ohm's law,
which is:
	_	_
	J = 1/p E.
		 _     _
In this equation J and E are current density(A/(cm**2)) and electric field
(volts/cm) and are Vectors.  p is the resistivity(ohm-cm) and is a scalar.
If we assume the walls of the pool to be an equipotential surface of 0 volts,
and the conductor to be insulated except for the end which is situated the
middle of the pool at some potential V, we find that near the end of the
conductor the equipontential surfaces are roughly spherical, and thus E
is roughly uniform, and J will be constant in all directions.  Since the
total current flowing through an equipotential surface will be constant
we quickly see that J will decrease as 1/(x**2) as x, the distance from
the conductor increases.  Near the pool walls things are quite different
beacause the equipotential surface now follows the pool walls rather than
being spherical.  The current density will be much lower in the corners,
than along flat walls.  If we now consider the walls of the pool to be
insulating, and the drain pipe as the zero potential we get the second
simple case.  Remember shaking iron powder over a bar magnetic and observing
the magnetic field pattern.   The lines of electric field observed between
the conductor and the drain will be very similar to the magnetic field
lines observed between the north and south poles, except they will
be 3-dimensional. Highest magnitude of electric field will be
in the straight line joining the wire and the drain, and thus so too
will the current density.  As we move out from this line, the lines of
the electric field become longer, and thus the magnitude of the field is
reduced, and so too the current density.

As far as being electrocuted is concerned for 120 volts in a reasonably
sized pool you probably wouldn't be anywhere *inside* the pool.
However in a plastic lined pool, the danger is stepping out and providing
a lower resistance than the drain, in which case you might.

The only eddy currents that will be observed are those near the filter
outlet, and those will be water, not electron current.  There is
no magnetic field to induce currents in a conductor in the pool.

You might want to have a look at "Engineering Electro-Magnetics" by
Hayt, a basic EE text, which describes some simple graphical methods
of solving this type of problem

Paul L. (EE at waterloo)
sgcpal@watdcsu.UUCP

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (11/01/85)

In article <662@petrus.UUCP> mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) writes:
   [Carried-forward query]
>> If you put a live electrical wire into a large
>> swimming pool, what happens to the current?
    [Extract]
>In addition, there might be eddy currents all over the place, especially
>if it is AC or (worse) lightning, which is why you would probably get
>electrocuted no matter where you were in the water.
>-Mark

Hmmm --- if a person is immersed in the water, why would they be
electrocuted at all? If they were between the wire and the point of
greatest ground potential, like a metal drain, I could see it (but
wouldn't the current tend to flow AROUND the body, through the water
which has less resistance than the body [considering skin resistance]).

If they were in the pool, at another spot, why would there be any
potential across their body at all? They wouldn't have any current
flow through their body in this case, would they?

Will

makaren@alberta.UUCP (Darrell Makarenko) (11/01/85)

> ++
> > If you put a live electrical wire into a large
> > swimming pool, what happens to the current?
>
> a quickly widening cone.  Since the electons repel each other, the
> main current would take up as much of the conductor as it can while still
> having some component in the direction toward the ground.
> -Mark

 I remember doing experiments in grade 12 science showing
 that pure water does not conduct electricity.  Salt water did conduct
 because of the Na+ and Cl- ions.  Of course air does not conduct
 electricity either but lightning still hits the ground.
 Question: Does pure water conduct electricity?  If it does not
 (as I believe) why does one have to be extra carefull about getting
 elecrocuted when standing in a puddle of water??

In article <714@alberta.UUCP>, makaren@alberta.UUCP (Darrell Makarenko) writes:

> I remember doing experiments in grade 12 science showing
> that pure water does not conduct electricity.  Salt water did conduct
> because of the Na+ and Cl- ions.  Of course air does not conduct
> electricity either but lightning still hits the ground.
> Question: Does pure water conduct electricity?  If it does not
> (as I believe) why does one have to be extra carefull about getting
> elecrocuted when standing in a puddle of water??

If you had tested tap water too you would have found it to be a pretty fair
conductor.  It doesn't take much impurities to do this.  You can pretty well
count on all naturally occurring water to have enough impurities to be a
good enough conductor to allow dangerous amounts of current to pass at house-
hold power voltages, given the usual small distance in the puddle between
your skin and a good conductor, namely the ground, at an opposite potential
to a "live" wire (since most electrical systems have one side of their voltage
source tied to an earth ground somewhere).  You touch the other side of the
voltage source while standing in such a puddle, and you get shocked or worse.

The lightning mechanism is different.  The voltage difference between cloud
and ground or cloud and cloud is sufficient to ionize the air, whereupon it
WILL conduct electricity (very simplistic explanation; the ionization occurs
in steplike stages) sort of like neon does in a neon lamp.  Now the question
of how the cloud achieves that voltage is a different one and I understand
there are several explanations (anyone care to elaborate?).
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

slg@ukma.UUCP (Sean Gilley) (11/04/85)

     Pure water (H2O) does not conduct electricity.  The reason you need to
be careful with electricity around water is that the minerals in solution
within the water are conductors.

						Sean.
--

    Sean L. Gilley  	     Phone: (606) 272-9620 or (606) 257-4613

      {ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!cbosgd!ukma{!ukgs}!slg, slg@UKMA.BITNET

             Watches are a conspiracy by Swiss confidence men.

mls@husky.uucp (Mark Stevans) (11/05/85)

The question of how atmospheric electricity is generated has been raised by
the referenced article:

> Now the question
> of how the cloud achieves that voltage is a different one and I understand
> there are several explanations (anyone care to elaborate?).

Here is the best theoretical explanation of cloud electrification that I know
of:

Clouds are made up of droplets of water.  If there is a lot of water in the
cloud, larger droplets may fall out of the cloud as rain.  If the cloud is
relatively calm, the droplets usually stay in one piece as they travel about.
In stormier conditions, water droplets break up and recombine as they get
blown about in the cloud.

There are some free electrons in every droplet of water.  They naturally
collect around the outside of the droplet, due to mutual repulsion.  If a
droplet begins to break up into two sub-droplets, the electrons tend to stay
on the larger droplet (statistically and fluid-dynamically speaking, droplets
usually don't break up into exactly equal sub-droplets), because during this
period (envision the process as similar to a yeast cell budding) the larger
sub-droplet has less surface area per unit volume.  We end up with a relatively
positively charged small sub-droplet, and a negatively charged large
sub-droplet.

Due to their greater weight to surface area ratio, the large, negatively
charged droplets tend to sink in the cloud, perhaps hitting the ground as
rain, while the small droplets stay suspended in the air currents.  Since the
free electrons in the cloud are moving to lower altitudes, a potential
difference is generated.

Most lightning strokes are between upper and lower parts of a single cloud,
and not between cloud and ground.  The potential difference per unit distance
increases until it is sufficient to ionize a "finger" of air about an inch
wide.  This highly conductive finger, which typically snakes from a positively
charged region towards a negatively charged region, lengthens at a speed on
the order of a thousand miles per hour.  When the end of the finger gets close
enough to its target, the potential difference between the end of the finger
and the target causes free electrons on the target to arc across the gap into
the ion finger.  This "return stroke" is what we know as lightning.

					Mark Stevans
					ritcv!husky!mls

sgcpal@watdcsu.UUCP (P.A. Layman [EE-SiDIC]) (11/06/85)

In article <2358@ukma.UUCP> slg@ukma.UUCP (Sean Gilley) writes:

>     Pure water (H2O) does not conduct electricity.  The reason you need to
>be careful with electricity around water is that the minerals in solution
>within the water are conductors.

I'm afraid your wrong Sean.  Pure water is a conductor.  It's conductivity
is enhanced by certain impurities, in the same way that
silicon's conductivity is increased by certain dopant's.

Paul L.

jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) (11/06/85)

> > A question came up over the weekend about electricity.
> > If you put a live electrical wire into a large
> > swimming pool, what happens to the current?

The current will take the shortest path from the wire to the nearest
ground (probably the drain) assuming the water is a homogenous mix of
contaminates.
                             Jeff McQuinn just VAXing around

elf@cylixd.UUCP (Leonard Bottleman) (11/06/85)

In article <2358@ukma.UUCP> slg@ukma.UUCP (Sean Gilley) writes:

>     Pure water (H2O) does not conduct electricity.  The reason you need to
>be careful with electricity around water is that the minerals in solution
>within the water are conductors.
>
>						Sean.

Water self hydrolyzes into H and OH ions: so even if you managed to get
pure H2O, it wouldn't remain that way for more than an instant.

						Leonard Bottleman

						ihnp4!akgua!cylixd!elf

jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) (11/07/85)

In article <2358@ukma.UUCP> slg@ukma.UUCP (Sean Gilley) writes:

>     Pure water (H2O) does not conduct electricity.  The reason you need to
>be careful with electricity around water is that the minerals in solution
>within the water are conductors.

This is not quite correct.  Pure water (H2O) DOES conduct elecricity.
However, the conductivity is sufficiently low that it can often be
ignored.  What causes aqueous solutions to be conductive is the ions
which present in the solution.  If I remember correctly, water is itself
partially ionized.  The concentration of H+ (and other complexes, H3O+,
etc.) is 1 x 10**-7 mole/L.  The pH is defined as - LOG10(concentration
of H+ ions).  Thus the pH of pure water is 7.

Jeff Siegal - MIT EECS (jbs@mit-eddie)

In all this talk about whether water is a "conductor" or not,
people sound like they think this is an all-or-nothing
proposition.  Pure water has fairly high (but not infinite)
resistivity, but it doesn't take much in the way of ionic
impurities to reduce its resistivity substantially.  Since a
swimming pool (postulated in the original problem) would
have hypochlorite salts dissolved in it, it would conduct
electricity much better than pure water.

mwg@petrus.UUCP (Mark Garrett) (11/08/85)

++
> Hmmm --- if a person is immersed in the water, why would they be
> electrocuted at all? If they were between the wire and the point of
> greatest ground potential, like a metal drain, I could see it (but
> wouldn't the current tend to flow AROUND the body, through the water
> which has less resistance than the body [considering skin resistance]).
>
> If they were in the pool, at another spot, why would there be any
> potential across their body at all? They wouldn't have any current
> flow through their body in this case, would they?
> Will

When I was young(er), and before so many years of education in engineering
and electronics, I thought about what would happen if lightning hit the
house when I was in the shower.  I thought that I'd be safe since the current
would much rather go through the pipe (full of water) in the wall than
through me.  The problem with this logic is that the two resistances are
really in parallel (depending on the geometry).  If I constituted a path
with 1% of the total conductivity from the source to ground, then I
would get 1% of the current.  For lightning, even a small fraction of the
current might ruin one's day.

I can see that in the swimming pool case, the current density resulting from
a 120 volt drop, spread out over the water might be small.  But remember, that
the conductivity of the water is finite, so there is a voltage difference
between any two points along the current path.  Therefore if you are in
that path, you have some voltage across you and you will draw some current.

randy@utcsri.UUCP (Randall S. Becker) (11/10/85)

> In article <2358@ukma.UUCP> slg@ukma.UUCP (Sean Gilley) writes:
> >

> >     Pure water (H2O) does not conduct electricity.  The reason you need to
> >be careful with electricity around water is that the minerals in solution
> >within the water are conductors.
> >
> I'm afraid your wrong Sean.  Pure water is a conductor.  It's conductivity
> is enhanced by certain impurities, in the same way that
> silicon's conductivity is increased by certain dopant's.
>
> Paul L.

Just to provide clarification to this point, water is an extremely weak
electrolyte. Distilled water is 0.0000002 % ionized at 25C.
(Ref: Chemistry: A Conceptual Approach, Mortimer, 1979)

Randy
--
		Randall S. Becker
		Usenet:	..!utcsri!randy

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (11/12/85)

> In article <2358@ukma.UUCP> slg@ukma.UUCP (Sean Gilley) writes:
> >
> >     Pure water (H2O) does not conduct electricity.  The reason you need to
> >be careful with electricity around water is that the minerals in solution
> >within the water are conductors.
> >
> This is not quite correct.  Pure water (H2O) DOES conduct elecricity.
> However, the conductivity is sufficiently low that it can often be
> ignored.  What causes aqueous solutions to be conductive is the ions
> which present in the solution.
Hmmm.  Sounds like a semiconductor.  I can see it now, the
next 'wave' in chips.  Fluidics!  No. NO.  Thats been taken. Er, ah,
Fluitronics!!  No. no.  Too hard to read...  How about:  aquaware !!
no. sounds like a swimsuit.  Hurumph.  Maybe this idea is just all wet...
--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)