[net.sci] fun with brains and behavior

tuba@ur-tut.UUCP (Jon Krueger) (11/18/85)

Mike, thanks for re-posting your original article, along with quotes
from relevant articles that followed.  Permit me to summarize:

I (Jon Krueger) wrote:
>>It's not clear to me what is being said here.  Is someone proposing that
>>the reason that young children are said to have limited affective
>>behavior is because they lack what we call cerebral development?

Mike Sellers replied:
>I don't think that was my main point, though I guess my answer to your
>question would be a partial "yes."  Children from pre-birth to about age 6
>or 8 are in the process of cerebral development [Mike names some brain and
>CNS structures, and provides development periods].  Barring somewhat extreme
>dualist/spiritualist views, this state of dynamic growth (both in terms of
>numbers of neurons and in numbers of synapses) must both affect and be
>affected by the child's type and range of behavior.  [Mike notes some
>experiments] Thus, an infant's brain is capable of a rather limited range of
>actions and responses that gradually widens as the child gains experience
>and develops neurally.

My comment now:
Mike, it's interesting that you name some experiments which show differing
[visual] environments generating different behavior.  You seem to be saying
that the change in behavior is due to a change in brain. But what failed to
develop normally was the organism's visual system.  It's quite possible that
the change in environment also produced a change in brain.  It may be that
the brain is more responsible for the aspects of vision in question than the
organism's peripheral sense organs or motor functions.  But we aren't
permitted to assume that.  The researchers didn't change brains, they
changed environments.  They produced a chage in behavior.  The brain is at
best an indirect factor, which you might posit between environment and
behavior.

Later in my first posting, I (Jon Krueger) wrote

Mike writes:
>If I understand your question (and I'm not sure that I do), it would seem
>to have been answered above.  In addition, what would you propose as an
>explanation of the rate and type of changes in infant behavior if not
>the development of the brain (primarily the cerebral cortex) and
>nervous system?

My comment now:
As a rule, I don't try to explain a phenomenon until I can establish it.
This saves me the trouble of accounting for things that never happened.  For
instance, I've never felt I had to explain why Libras are better athletes
than Taurus people.  Some people say it's true, but they never have any data
on the subject.  Before I explain a change in affective behavior, I want
some way of measuring affective behavior.  During our discussion, Mike cited
some literature, none of which would appear to tell me how to go about
measuring affective behavior.  Is there a way?  Can two labs measure the
same behavior and come out with the same numbers?  If not, nothing needs
explaining.

Can you even define "affective behavior" so I know when I'm looking at it?
Suppose I tell you that my affective behavior detect-o-matic (detects
affects while you watch) is on the fritz, and the vendor refuses to admit
it's broken.  He claims it's my PC interface, not his machine.  How would we
go about proving to him that his machine is dead?

Mike also writes:
>Most of the other bodily systems (with the exception of
>the reproductive system -- but most of us don't use that for determining
>our behavior :-) are nearly fully developed at birth.  Nor can lack of
>experience be the sole or main determinant, as otherwise the Skinnerian
>behaviorist models of language aquisition, etc., would have held
>up to observation and experimentation better than they have.

My comment:
Skinner's model doesn't require special brain structures to explain language
development.  A good refutation of his model would be discovery of such
structures.  You could then validate the discovery by developing techniques
whereby properties of such structures could predict properties of language
acquisition.  For instance, statements like "Bob's more articulate than Bill
because Bob's brain differs from Bill's in the following ways".

This is the kind of observation and experimentation that would refute
Skinner.  Can you cite references to it?  By the way, Skinner gives a
technology whereby we can make Bill more articulate.  Is there a
brain technology to do this?

Mike also writes:
>It is clear that there are *both* developmental (as an expression of
>genetics) and environmental (i.e., experiential) components to the way a
>child's range, type, and depth of behavior changes.  Attributing the locus
>of change of change primarily to the nervous system would seem to simply be
>the most parsimonious theory that fits all the facts.

I reply:
Yes, there are both, and I sure hope this doesn't degenerate into a
nature-nurture discussion.  I'm more interested in what makes good science.
My kind of parsimony generates predictions that can be tested
experimentally.  It's easier to define and manipulate independant variables
in the environment than in the genetic endowment.  Genetic engineering may
someday change this, but I suspect not within my lifetime.

Human behavior that's determined by the human genetic endownment represents
millions of years of environments acting on behavior (presumably by
selecting for survival or reproduction).  Most of that history is
inaccessible to us.  By contrast, human behavior that's determined by the
environment represents behavior under control of factors in the present
time, factors the experimenter can manipulate.  I expect more predictions
about behavior to be made and tested from researchers who use the tools
available to them.