[net.misc] id AA09260; 2 Jul 83 13:35:05 PDT

arens@UCBKIM@ucbvax.UUCP (07/02/83)

Date: 2 Jul 83 13:35:21 PDT (Sat)
From: arens@UCBKIM (Yigal Arens)
Subject: Re: Faith in Evolution
To: net-misc@BERKELEY

Tim Sevener (decvax!pur-ee!iuvax!isrnix!tim) comments on the similarities
between the argument between Copernicans and the church, and the argument
between intelligent people and creationists today.  He comments that the
anti-Copernicans finally gave up, even though it took some 200 years.

Well I got news for you.  Not all of them have.

You see, the problem is that Copernicus wasn't Jewish...  Orthodox Judaism
believes and teaches, to this day, that the sun revolves around the earth.
And as an illustration of the horrors of state involvement in religious
matters (and/or religious involvement in state matters) I'll mention that in
Israel, the state run religious schools use state published textbooks that
tell the students that the sun revolves around the earth, using Maimonides
as a reference (he had a rather elaborate theory about it).  The books
mention that "certain gentile scholars have disputed this fact, but have no
conclusive proof of their theories."  Indeed.

A liberal member of the Israeli parliament, Shulamit Aloni, approached the
minister of education, Zevulun Hammer, a member of the National Religious
Party, several years ago and asked him if he was aware of what the books and
schools his ministry was responsible for were teaching.  He refused to
respond.

There is this Jewish holiday celebrating the beginning of a new "cycle" of
the sun around the earth which occurs once every few years.  Last time, a
couple of years ago, the celebrations were attended by all sorts of high
ranking public officials in Israel.  Nobody mentioned Copernicus, the
gentile scholar.

Yigal Arens
UC Berkeley (soon USC)

P.S.  For those who know, the religious schools I refer to above are the
more orthodox of the two types of state supported religious schools in
Israel.  (Or three types, if you wish to include the "secular" schools,
which aren't too secular).