[net.sci] Parapsychology

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (01/24/86)

[This is a carryover from a net.philosophy discussion]

In article <631@oakhill.UUCP> davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) writes:
>"A recent experiment indicates that inexperienced subjects can bring about
>genetic mutations in bacteria - a finding which has profound implications
>for the health industry and for evolutionary theory.
>		.... .... ....
>        How?  By merely 'wishing'.
>		.... .... ...."

I am unqualified to comment on the bacteria/PK experiment per se.
If it is true, I hope we will hear about it from more investigators.
But because of the (unfortunate) track record of sloppiness in past
psi research, I will remain skeptical.

I am curious, though, how the results (clear vs red) were recorded.
The 'wishing' worries me.  A fun game I used to play with friends
was to convince them that Venus was an airplane, and that if they
stared hard and long enough, they would see it move.  About half of
them could be convinced it was moving.

I would like to point out that even within the traditional sciences
anti-weird bigotry is extremely strong, and fraud is far too common.
And yet the fields advance anyway!  (I can cite examples if you wish.)

>>                    ...                             I mean, why would
>>the same people who see a professional magician/mentalist perform be
>>merely impressed, but when a charlatan does the exact same stunts call-
>>ing it psi/esp powers, they freak?  I mean, really, what is it about
>>people that can make them so self-inducedly gullible and stupid???
>
>Well, it looks like you as many others on the net are still living in the
>parapsychological world of the 19th century.  I have no idea just how valid
>studies like the one above are - but it sure looks to me that the field
>has gone much further than the simple mind-guessing tricks of the last
>century. Certainly not of the magician card gessing game, is it?

See Bassini, Singer, Reynolds, "Occult Powers: Seeing is Believing",
J Scientific Study of Religion, 1981(?)  (Best of memory recall here.)
They describe an experiment where a quickly trained performer did a few
elementary tricks like blindfold reading and rod bending before college
audiences with one of two introductions (possibly psi/definitely magic).

80% of the first kind of audience believed they saw psi, with many of them
(10%?) freaking out (worried about Satan, etc.)  40% of the second kind of
audience believed they saw psi.  (These numbers are hazy, but in the right
ballpark.)

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (01/27/86)

[This discussion moved from net.philosophy.  Should those articles be reposted
here?]

In article <11526@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:

>>        How?  By merely 'wishing'.
>
>I am unqualified to comment on the bacteria/PK experiment per se.
>If it is true, I hope we will hear about it from more investigators.
>But because of the (unfortunate) track record of sloppiness in past
>psi research, I will remain skeptical.

>I am curious, though, how the results (clear vs red) were recorded.
>The 'wishing' worries me.  A fun game I used to play with friends
>was to convince them that Venus was an airplane, and that if they
>stared hard and long enough, they would see it move.  About half of
>them could be convinced it was moving.

The biasing of REGs (Random Event Generators) machines in tests I am aware of
is accomplished in the same way - by merely 'wanting' to achieve a certain
result.  Better success can be had if there is a motivation of some sort such
as a reward for the subject if the person succeeds.

There have been a lot of studies to determine what effects good psi
performance.  One of the most interesting findings is the 'sheep/goat' effect
which indicates that 'believers' and 'non-believers' taking the very same
psi test under the very same conditions come out having the 'believers'
performing better.

Just as a person could
gullibly be a 'true believer' by interpreting facts in a biased or invalid
manner, so can a person be a 'true skeptic' by simply dismissing a
precognative dream or declaring that everyone who conducts parapsychological
experiments is a fraud or hopelessly inept.  But one of the implications of
the sheep/goat experiments is that the very belief of the individual involved
may have something to do with what is experienced.

Thus the skeptic claiming 'I never have such things happen to me' and the
believer saying just the opposite may both be correct.

One finding which came out of the sheep/goat investigations is
that some people which are psi-negative (i.e. tend to obtain the opposite
of what the psi test is supposed to mark as correct) evaluate the condition
of their lives as having bad luck and misfortune striking them far more
frequently than the average Joe.  If these studies are valid then as you can
imagine there are some interesting implications to be researched here.

Considering the sloppiness of research in this area, alas this has been true.
It was realized about ten years ago that the parapsychologist would have to
clean up their act and self-police by rejecting the incompetents out of the
field.  But such things are not easy to do.  When you consider the quite
limited funds available for competent psi research it is even more amazing
that anything of substance has been produced, in my opinion.

One could write a psuedo-science book on earth changes or the Bermuda Triangle
and have a guaranteed readership of believers and make more money and have
more noteriety than anyone dedicating their entire life to parapsychology.

The competence of researchers in the field also pertains to your subject
of suggestability.  In the REG experiments I was involved with the machine
would end if with its internal counters being numbers from 0 to 9.  The
targets were randomly chosen either before or after the experiment with all
the steps and setup specifically decided upon and unchanged before the tests.
In cases like this I see no room for suggestability factors entering in.

But in the bacteria experiment I can imagine any number of problems.  For
example, was the red strain significantly red?  Or was it just a faint red
hue which could easily be induced by anticipating its presence.  Was the
person identifying the color ignorant of the part that strain had in the
experiment?  Did two people independently validate the color?
These are just the normal things any good researcher would take care of, but
were they done?

>80% of the first kind of audience believed they saw psi, with many of them
>(10%?) freaking out (worried about Satan, etc.)  40% of the second kind of
>audience believed they saw psi.  (These numbers are hazy, but in the right
>ballpark.)

Unfortunately, I don't know what can be done about this.  Would that all
people could be taught the essence of the scientific method and lots of
science foundations.  But I look at it this way.  The 'Fifth Force' stuff
appeared in Newsweek and I suspended my usual doubts about accuracy in
journalism and figured maybe there could be a new chapter written in
physics.  Then I later saw some short net.physics articles explaining that
the deal isn't as important or accepted as Newsweek led me to believe.  Now,
would it be as correct for a net.physics contributer to attribute to me
the same gulliblity as I would attribute to the members of that class?  After
all, I get Scientific American and try to read every article up until I get
almost totally lost - and this includes the physics articles.  So one can't
accuse me of not trying to understand what's going on.  If the accounting
major in the class is to be considered gullible than doesn't that put me
in the same position vis-a-vis the 'Fifth Force' situation?

-- Dave Trissel   Motorola Semiconductor  Austin TX
  {seismo,ihnp4}!ut-sally!im4u!oakhill!davet
[Sorry but our mail will not properly reply to BITNET among others.]