[net.sci] Adding Standard Deviations

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/16/86)

>From: ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!fdot (Tom Lippincott)
>
>How about error handling?  I've never seen *any* program where you could,
>for example, add 1.23+/-.02 to 4.56+/-.04 and get 5.79+/-.06, let alone
>perform more complicated math, graph them with error bars automatically, etc.

   Maybe that's because (1.23 +- .02) + (4.56 +- .04) = (5.79 +- .045)?
(Or do you want the program to figure out the correlation coefficient? :-))

   -- David desJardins

jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) (03/17/86)

> >From: ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!fdot (Tom Lippincott)
> >
> >How about error handling?  I've never seen *any* program where you could,
> >for example, add 1.23+/-.02 to 4.56+/-.04 and get 5.79+/-.06, let alone
> >perform more complicated math, graph them with error bars automatically, etc.
>
>    Maybe that's because (1.23 +- .02) + (4.56 +- .04) = (5.79 +- .045)?
> (Or do you want the program to figure out the correlation coefficient? :-))
>
>    -- David desJardins

If I remember my stats correctly the sum of two error intervals is the
square root of the sum of squares only if the two measurements are
non-correlated.  I don't know the context of this discussion but thought
I'd drop my .02$ in.
--
			Jerry Natowitz
			ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jin (official)

In article <12410@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>>From: ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!fdot (Tom Lippincott)
>>How about error handling?  I've never seen *any* program where you could,
>>for example, add 1.23+/-.02 to 4.56+/-.04 and get 5.79+/-.06, let alone
>>perform more complicated math, graph them with error bars automatically, etc.
>
>   Maybe that's because (1.23 +- .02) + (4.56 +- .04) = (5.79 +- .045)?
>(Or do you want the program to figure out the correlation coefficient? :-))

If one adds two Gaussian distributions, does he get a Gaussian?
How about other arithmetic operations (e.g. sqrt)?

Tom seems to have had what is known as "range arithmetic" in mind;
there have been several such packages, some in Fortran.  The trouble
with range arithmetic is that the range of uncertainty grows really
fast as more and more operations are performed.

It is true that "n +- s" conventionally means: best estimate for a
quantity is "n" and the standard error of that estimate is "s".  I
have seen simplified rules for combining such (n,s) entities under
arithmetic operation, on the assumption that the relative errors
are sufficiently small; unfortunately, many such rules have been
simply wrong.  The best discussion of error analysis I know of is
in a book by Bevington, entitled something like "Data Reduction and
Error Analysis for the Physical Sciences".

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/22/86)

bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) In <547@utastro.UUCP>:
>In Engineering situations it is common to add the absolute values of the
>errors in order to come up with a "worst case" error, so that you can
>design the equipment to be resistant to failure modes.
>
>Scientists are of course more familiar with the RSS error, where you
>take the square root of the sum of the squares of the errors.

   The point, on which I suppose I was not clear, is that in any sort of
scientific setting the errors which you are adding are standard errors,
which essentially means that your measurement has some distribution about
the true value with standard deviation at most the given error.
   The correct way to add these is, as William Jefferys says, to take
the square root of the sum of the squares of the errors.
   Admittedly there might *occasionally* be a need for a worst-case error
analysis (the fact that this is commonly done by engineers does not make
it correct!).  And, as other posters have noted, you might also have a
nonzero correlation coefficient.  But all of this should go to support my
original point that software that tries to add errors, *especially* if
it is done naively, is not of much use.

   As for Joseph Yao's comments, I find it mildly amusing to be criticized
on this subject by someone who says, "I was terrible in stats...."  I, in
turn, suggest to you that in fields about which you know little (error
analysis is a subfield of statistics) you refrain from criticizing others.

   -- David desJardins