[net.sci] Fingernails and Chalkboards

jeff@mit-bug.UUCP (Jeff Rodriguez) (03/30/86)

     Why do most people get chills all over their bodies when
they hear the sound of fingernails scraping down a chalkboard?
Of course, the same reaction can be caused by other similar sounds,
as well.  It just doesn't make much sense.  Any ideas?

In article <1108@mit-bug.UUCP>, jeff@mit-bug.UUCP (Jeff Rodriguez) writes:
>      Why do most people get chills all over their bodies when
> they hear the sound of fingernails scraping down a chalkboard?
> Of course, the same reaction can be caused by other similar sounds,
> as well.  It just doesn't make much sense.  Any ideas?

	I was once curious about that very same topic.  Although I never
went to the trouble of getting a definitive answer (like searching the
literature, or asking a neurophysiologist), I did conduct an interesting
experiment:  I connected a condenser microphone to a Genrad realtime
audio spectrum analyzer, and performed the above maneuver several times.
I was amazed to find an exceptionally large amount of energy in the
10 kHz to 40 kHz region.  I would surmise that a person's "reaction" results
from this sound with many high frequency components, and comparatively few
low frequency components - this being not a common type of sound.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
==>  VOICE   716/688-1231                {rice|shell}!baylor!/
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/
==>                                               seismo!/
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/

koko@uthub.UUCP (M. Kokodyniak) (04/09/86)

>      Why do most people get chills all over their bodies when
> they hear the sound of fingernails scraping down a chalkboard?
> Of course, the same reaction can be caused by other similar sounds,
> as well.  It just doesn't make much sense.  Any ideas?

	I don't know about the chills, but whenever I hear that sound
I get a strong urge to grit my teeth.  This seems to make even less sense.

			Mike Kokodyniak

silber@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (04/15/86)

/* Written 11:38 am  Apr  9, 1986 by koko@uthub.UUCP in uiucdcsp:net.sci */

>      Why do most people get chills all over their bodies when
> they hear the sound of fingernails scraping down a chalkboard?
> Of course, the same reaction can be caused by other similar sounds,
> as well.  It just doesn't make much sense.  Any ideas?

Perhaps it is an instinctual response to a sound which, long ago, represented
danger of somesort.  (Maybee large predators made the sound.)  If our current
culture were to last a million years, perhaps we would develop instincts
which would result in our jumping when honked at by geese?

The next section is a deliberate parody, please no flames:

It is obvious that the above argument is correct, but that, other than chalk-boards etc. nothing now makes that sound.  Thus we prove conclusively that there
must have existed an "age of bozos", no make that "AGE OF BOZOS" when
the world was covered by large slabs of chalk, and sharp clawed predators
stalked us, making that awful skreeing sound as they did so.  Where did
all this chalk come from?  It is actually the petrified form of the manna
fed to the children of Israel, as the bible says that what was not consumed
was wasted and spoiled (except on Friday where it managed to last over the
sabbath.)  Obviously, it fell from Venus or something like that.

Ami Silberman
(Now we get to see if Ted Holden reads this newsgroup)