[net.sci] "scientific illiteracy" in the media

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (05/07/86)

> The Cable News Network, as well as National Public Radio, have
> been using the term "nuclear fire" and "graphite fire" in conjunction
> with what appears to be a tragedy in the Soviet Union. I'm not
> a physicist (I'm a psychologist), and am not familiar with these
> terms.

Don't worry.  The media made up these terms on the fly... they mean
essentially nothing "scientific".  A "graphite fire" is a fire where
carbon in the form of graphite is buring, just as a wood fire is a fire
where wood is burning.  A "nuclear fire" is essentially meaningless in
the context (it is meaningless to talk about nucleons "burning" except
in metaphor), but we may conjecture that the "science correspondent"
that re-coined the term meant that there was a fire where the gaseous
combustion products were to some degree or other radioacive.

Note that "nuclear fire" is sometimes used to imply that a nuclear
reaction is proceeding, as in "the Sun burns with nuclear fire", or "the
city was destroyed by nuclear fire", or "the power plant uses nuclear
fire", or whatnot.  From the context it is likely that they weren't
talking about any of these, and were inventing the "radioactive
combustion products" meaning for the term.

> What fuels a nuclear fire besides oxygen and heat? How does one
> fight such a fire? Are there dangers other than the contaminated
> exhaust put out by such a fire? Are there differences between a
> nuclear fire and a graphite fire?

What fueled the fire at the Chernobyl plant was oxygen and carbon.  You
fight such a fire by depriving it of oxygen, or cooling it below the
ignition point, and this was made difficult because water couldn't be
used in this case (because the resulting steam would have spread more
radioactive material, an analog of the reason why you shouldn't use
water to fight an electrical or grease fire... cure worse than disease).
Sand or whatnot could have been used, but they couldn't deliver it
effectively from far enough away to avoid the radiation.  Some
"smotherant" agent was apparently air dropped on the plant, but the
effectiveness is unknown.  There are no particular dangers of such a
fire, other than the contaminated exhaust (which is *very* dangerous).
In this case, the "nuclear fire" *was* a graphite fire, pure and simple
(or rather, impure and complicated, but then...).

But this leads me to one of my pet peeves.  The news media is
scientifically illiterate.  Nuclear energy is one area where the media
is spectacularly ill informed (and an area where dis-and-mis-information
abounds in the media), but biology, medicine, engineering in general,
spaceflight, and in fact *all* even remotely technical subjects are
grossly mishandled in the media.  Here are two of my favorite examples,
both subject to slight errors in memory, as I heard them on the way to
work, and entered them into our local "quote of the day" database from
memory as being too amusing to pass up.  I will, however, vouch for the
accuracy of the main ideas and phrasings in these reports.  Uh... let me
rephrase that.  They aren't *accurate*, it just that this is essentially
what was announced on over the air, and purported to be "science news".

    Refering to a shipment of uranium hexafloride lost at sea:
    "... this dangerous nuclear hexafloride gas ..."
        --- An ABC Television "science corespondent"

    Where did everything come from?  Was it the Big Guy in the Sky, or a
    Big Bang on a planet out in space?  Did everything evolve from a
    single cell in a primordial ooze?  I don't have the answers, but new
    studies of insulin, the female hormone, may show that everything was
    created seperately, just as it is now.
        --- An ABC radio news announcer

(The fact that both of these examples are from ABC doesn't mean that the
 other networks are any better.  I assure you all that they are just as
 bad or worse.  And no, neither of these were broadcast on April First,
 nor were either of them clarified or corrected later.)

BUT.... if you *really* want to get my dandruff up, do what more and
more newscasters are doing.  Confuse "silicon" and "silicone", as in
"silicon glue" or "silicone chips".  Really causes me to polish my
molars.  I sometimes think that the next time some Max-Headroom-type
airheaded "science correspondent" who hasn't studied "science" for more
than five lifetime-cumulative minutes says something about "silicone
valley" or "silicone chips", I'll hunt the creature down and rip out...

Well, maybe I'm getting carried away.  But I *would* like to see every
television set equiped with buttons which would allow the viewers to zap
the newsreaders with enough voltage to get their attention when they
make, let us be mild here, inexcusably boneheaded blunders, as they
often do.  Radios and newspapers too.  So there.
--
Wayne Throop      <the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) (05/15/86)

In article <337@dg_rtp.UUCP> dg_rtp!throopw (Wayne Throop) writes:
>Don't worry.  The media made up these terms on the fly...

Oh good.  Now I can add "nuclear fire" to my collection, which already
includes "flying saucer", "test tube baby", and "star wars".

(The UFO allegedly *moved* like a saucer (skipping over water); in vitro
fertilization occurs in a Petri dish; I see no connection between the SW
movie and Strategic Defense/High Frontier.)

Karl W. Z. Heuer (ihnp4!bentley!kwh), The Walking Lint