[net.sci] biorhythms, a possible explanation.

rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (05/13/86)

Since the initial question was: Is there *ANYTHING* to biorythms,
I thought it might be interesting to look at ANY possible explanation
for ANY types of CYCLICAL patterns.  Here are some basic ideas,
see what you think.

Initially, let's look at some of the shorter "cycles" that are
generally quite accepted.

The "digestive/sleep" cycle:
Most people eat 3 meals/day, but these meals are not usually uniformly
spaced.  Also, these meals are not usually equal sizes.  The average
American for example, might eat a "danish and coffee" for breakfast,
at say, 8:00 AM, a light lunch at noon, and a big dinner at 6:00 PM.
So this person might "peak" at somewhere around 9:00 PM in terms of
best general physical state, followed by a counter-reactive "dip"
around midnight when they fall asleep.  There are people who work
other shifts who might have a totally different pattern, but look
at the "Bulk" of people who work "Banker's hours".

The "weekly" cycle:
The majority of people work Monday through Friday, and have Saturday
and Sunday as "weekends".  Some people really abuse themselves on
weekends, going to parties, staying up late, eating differently,
going shopping,...  Again, much of this "cycle" can be shifted,
however, Sunday, due to early closings of stores, "blue laws",
and restrictions on liquor sales, tends to be a "lull" day.  Again,
although you might get say, tuesday and wedsday off, as people in
entertainment often do, the places you might "party" are less likely
to be "Jammed" on those days.

The "Bi-weekly" cycle:
As I mentioned earlier, many people get paid on a "Bi-weekly" basis.
Which usually means, that every two weeks, it's friday and they have
a pocket full of money.  Strangely enough, most companies bi-weekly
cycles coincide with the full and new moon.  Furthermore, payday
weekend is when most people would be likely to go to the store and
get fresh fruits, meats, and vegitables.  Just prior to payday,
they might have been eating "leftovers" for a few days.  This change
in eating habits might have a "synchronising" effect on other
biological factors such as estrigen production.

The "lunar" cycle:
At one time, the full moon and the tides may have been a major factor
in commerce, as this is when boats could get the best sailing/docking
conditions.  Perhaps this might still be a factor, with merchants
stressing advertizing and such to reduce inventory warehousing costs
of shipped goods.  Why this would be any sort of factor in a city
like Denver, which recieves all of it's supplies by air or land
transport, I wouldn't know, but it might be a factor.

The "monthly" cycle:
The important factor here is that most people have uneven payments
that are billed on a monthly basis.  Typically, rent or mortgage
payments are made on the first of the month, and "other minor
bills" get paid the middle of the month.  This can have a psychological
effect on how people spend their money.  The "minor bills" may add
up to as much as the rent/mortgage, but the smaller increments tend
to be viewed differently.  Many debt counsellors reccommend some sort
of plan where one large check equal to the "rent check" is distributed
through a third party, just to overcome this "playcheck" thinking.

"Synchronising":
Those who get paid bi-weekly will frequently "syncronize" to the
monthly cycle, treating two checks a year as "bonus" checks.  Shifting
bills and payments by two weeks.  Assuming everybody split 50/50 on
who "synched" to which cycle, you would have half going on sprees
during the full moon during the summer, and half going on sprees
during the winter.  Appearantly, however, a larger number synch
to the full moon/winter sprees, as there is generally a "winter blues"
which starts in early September and seems to end around April.

"Stretching":
Most people consider the "full moon" anything up to 7 days before
or after the actual event.  Therefore, even people who "synch up"
with "bi-monthly" payments might be "looney" a full week before or
after the full moon.  Has anybody noticed a difference in the
emotional/mental stability of people paid bi-monthly rather than
bi-weekly?

Annual cycles and "astrology":
There might be something to "astrology" in one respect.  The focus
of a "birthday" may have a strong effect, particularly at younger
ages.  Also, children learn particular ideas of "fun" around their
third birthday.  For a child born in the winter months, indoor
activities such as reading, writing, and such might tend to have
stronger appeal than outdoor activities such as sports, particularly
since there is no reason to get "outdoor" items as "gifts". Conversely,
a spring baby might find outdoor activities more enjoyable.  Just
to test this, do "Capricorns" in Southern Australia act more like
"Geminis"?  Do people there prefer to become "December Brides", or
are the sociological effects of the Anglo-Saxon society still dominant?
How about the aborigines?

Spacing of Holidays:
Many of the winter and spring holidays are syncronized with various
celestial events.  This again is an effect, rather than caused by
such events.  People of ancient times wanted to honor their "Gods"
(celestial bodies), and planned events around these times.  Perhaps
this sets up a "rythm" which weakens during the summer months.

Minor Cycles:
I still don't know where the "Mental" and "Physical" cycles might
come into play, unless they are "Re-Synched" to the ~30.5 day cycles
of Julian months.  Perhaps there is some sort of 3 day pattern with
sync which leads to a "noisy" cycle, possibly more triangular than
sinesoidal.  If there really were such cycles, they would most likely
be evident on particular days.  For example, an intellectual peak
on wedsday or thursday would quickly be nullified by the "weekend
emotional binge".  A four day cycle would tend to enhance the
28 day transform, is there any solid reason to believe it
actually exists?  Probably not.

Final note:
Most of this theory is based on the assumption of a 7 day week.
Other societies have used other shorter and longer weeks.  Perhaps
other such weeks also have some merit?

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (05/14/86)

In article <418@ccird1.UUCP>, rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) writes:
> Annual cycles and "astrology":
> There might be something to "astrology" in one respect.  The focus
> of a "birthday" may have a strong effect, particularly at younger
> ages.  Also, children learn particular ideas of "fun" around their
> third birthday.  For a child born in the winter months, indoor
> activities such as reading, writing, and such might tend to have
> stronger appeal than outdoor activities such as sports, particularly
> since there is no reason to get "outdoor" items as "gifts". Conversely,
> a spring baby might find outdoor activities more enjoyable.  Just
> to test this, do "Capricorns" in Southern Australia act more like
> "Geminis"?  Do people there prefer to become "December Brides", or
> are the sociological effects of the Anglo-Saxon society still dominant?
> How about the aborigines?

People have looked for such effects, using exactly the same rationale.
Strangely enough (or maybe not) although this sounds reasonable I
have never heard of any positive results along these lines.  If someone
managed to some up with some then they could apply the southern hemisphere
test as you suggest.  It can't be done until there are positive results
for the northern hemisphere.
--
"Ma, I've been to another      Ethan Vishniac
 planet!"                      {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan

adm@cbneb.UUCP (05/21/86)

What you say about biorythms is logical enough, but it ain't about
biorythms.  What I have read on the subject is limited to leafing
through books in bookstores, but it was enough to show that the
biorythm people believe it is all set AT BIRTH.  They take the time
and date of your birth, and starting from there, superimpose several
sets of curves, looking for where peaks coincide, etc.  This is so
silly it is transparent.  For example, if you move to another state
that is one time-zone in either direction, you will change the time
you get up and go to bed, and this, quite obviously will affect your
biorythms, whatevever they are.  Similarly, a day sick in bed, a day
of fasting or overeating, and numerous other changes must affect any
rythms your body has.  But according the books, your rythms never
change.

Biorythms is more astrology than biology, and it is just another
example of wacky science, that is really wacky, but not really
science.

                               Dave Daulton
                               AT&T, Columbus