[net.sci] On G Spencer-Brown

weemba@brahms.UUCP (07/04/86)

In article <4031@decwrl.DEC.COM> cooper@pbsvax.dec.com (Topher Cooper DTN-225-5819) writes:
>>[1957 G Spencer-Brown reference]
>G. Spencer-Brown is best known for his book "The Laws of Form."  (I'm doing
>this off the top of my head so I can't give publication info)  It is the
>thesis of this work that there is something fundamentally wrong with all
>existing formal logic, and therefore, with the foundations of all modern
>mathematics.  A friend of mine once said of it, "It would clearly be a work
>of genius if only it made any sense at all."  Many people who read it,
>including those with a fair amount of mathematical sophistication, are left
>with the feeling that Spencer-Brown seems to have said *something* of
>importance but it's completely unclear what.

This is all true, and Spencer-Brown *is* a modern day crank.  However, I do
not know if he was a crank in 1957, which would be the relevant point.  To
your credit, Topher, you ignore the issue.

Concerning _The Laws of Form_, it may be brilliant for a laymen to think up,
but for a mathematician it's pretty minimal fare.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720