[net.sci] Root causes?

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (07/08/86)

In article <1073@cybvax0.UUCP> mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) writes:
>In article <570@ihlpf.UUCP> cher@ihlpf.UUCP writes:
>> I do not understand how the statement about "symptomatic nature of
>> psychiatric treatments" applies to psychoanalysis. It seems that
>> the idea is to locate the root causes of neuroses (what psychoanalysis
>> considers root causes, anyhow) and bring them under the scrutiny of the
>> patient (<--- pretty loose description, I guess).
>
>Modern psychoanalysis is not much more advanced than the old medical theory
>of bodily humors.

There are two problems with "analysis".
The first is that the patient must be honest with himself and his therapist.
Very difficult if the patient has decieved himself.  Methods of analysis
have expanded to include everything from "written inventory" to psychodrama.

Second, identification of "root causes" can be a bit of a problem.
Emotional pain may not be caused by anyone or any identifiable force,
possibly just "rotten luck".

Assuming you've gotten over the first two hurdles, what then?

Behaviour mod is useless when behaviour is compulsive or obsessive.
What you didn't cause can be difficult to accept, especially if there
is no reason to believe you won't be hurt as badly again.

It is possible to make some modifications to how you react to adversity,
but again, it is difficult to change instinctive "gut level" reactions.

Many emotional problems can be traced to very strong "wants".  Many of
these are obsessions or compulsions.  Tell a man to stop wanting sex,
security, or any other of his "needs".  There are legitimate needs, but
if the instincts have gone crazy to fulfill one or more of these, it is
nontrivial to correct.

Treatment can vary from a little "willpower" to lobotomy.  If they get
really desparate, they might reccomend a "spiritual program", and turn
them over to the "quacks" :-).  For some disorders, the "quacks" have a higher
success rate than the "professionals".

Many mental health centers begin screening by searching for signs of
alcohol or drug abuse.  If found, normal treatment is "inventory",
assertiveness training, and A.A. or N.A.  In other words, the "quacks".

Psychology IS making progress :-).