[net.sci] Statistics, Smoking, and PSI

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (07/04/86)

> One very valid criticism of PSI research is the reliance of raw
> statistics on raw data with little attempt to isolate the factors.
> A similar parallel might be the research on the effects of smoking
> on humans.
> The trick was simple.  In general, smokers tended to abuse their
> bodies more than non-smokers.  They ate more fats, sugars, cholestoral.
[Misinformation and falsehoods follow]
			- signed by Rex Ballard

In response:
	Before I go around insulting your intelligence, let me just ask
one question, "You were joking weren't you?"

	Smoking and health ( or the lack of) is one of the best studied
epidemiological phenomenon known.  It is very robust.  The study you
alluded to: MR-FIT, wasn't designed to test smoking effects on health -
it was designed to test intervention.  It was inconclusive because men
in both groups quit smoking at relatively equal rate -- but within each
group those that quit did better than those that didn't.  The above
misreading of it was taken out in an ad by Phillip-Morris, and the FDA
recently sued them for deceptive advertising (read 'fraud') for
even suggesting such a thing (it really was a misrepresentation.)
	I hope this is all a misunderstanding and your posting was meant
as satire, but if it wasn't, it really is scraping the bottom of the
barrel of supporting arguments for pseudoscience (psi).

--
			      Craig Werner (MD/PhD '91)
				!philabs!aecom!werner

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (07/12/86)

In article <353@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:

>> One very valid criticism of PSI research is the reliance of raw
>> statistics on raw data with little attempt to isolate the factors.
>> A similar parallel might be the research on the effects of smoking
>> on humans.
>> The trick was simple.  In general, smokers tended to abuse their
>> bodies more than non-smokers.  They ate more fats, sugars, cholestoral.
>[Misinformation and falsehoods follow]
>			- signed by Rex Ballard
>In response:
>	Before I go around insulting your intelligence, let me just ask
>one question, "You were joking weren't you?"
>
>	Smoking and health ( or the lack of) is one of the best studied
>epidemiological phenomenon known.  It is very robust.  The study you
>alluded to: MR-FIT, wasn't designed to test smoking effects on health -
>it was designed to test intervention.  It was inconclusive because men
>in both groups quit smoking at relatively equal rate -- but within each
>group those that quit did better than those that didn't.  The above
>misreading of it was taken out in an ad by Phillip-Morris, and the FDA
>recently sued them for deceptive advertising (read 'fraud') for
>even suggesting such a thing (it really was a misrepresentation.)
>	I hope this is all a misunderstanding and your posting was meant
>as satire, but if it wasn't, it really is scraping the bottom of the
>barrel of supporting arguments for pseudoscience (psi).

I was trying to point out that the same tactics PM used to refute
the FDA study are being used to refute PSI studies.  Furthermore
I was trying to point out that by getting all the factors clearly
separated and classified, PSI researchers could get better results.

I assume those who quit smoking didn't use the common technique of
"taking a walk instead of a puff"? :-).

I hope you can see the parallels of the PSI debate here.