[net.sci] PSI, Training the Subconcious

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (07/21/86)

In article <17000006@uokvax.UUCP> emjej@uokvax.UUCP writes:

>/* Written  7:42 pm  Jun 27, 1986 by mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP in net.sci */
>Karatekas  have tried to break things and  failed,  and failed,
>through several  tries  (bloody hands,  etc).   Then they get the  right
>mindset  (or whatever you want to call it) and everything goes smoothly.
>If it were just a tough hand I can't see how you explain this.  Besides,
>when was the last time you saw skin tougher than concrete?
>--
>					der Mouse
>/* End of text from net.sci */
>
>The fact that one has to be in the right frame of mind to do a thing
>doesn't imply that anything supernatural is going on.  I find that, as
>a singer somewhere between baritone and bass, that at times when my
>throat is relaxed I can sing lower notes than at other times.  I don't
>think that ESP or PK has anything to do with it.
>
>						James Jones

There is an interesting aspect of PSI that has not been discussed yet.

Psychology and Psychiatry acknowledge the existence of the concious
and subconcious mind.  In these fields, the focus is to use the
power of intellect or the concious mind to control the subconcious
mind.

For those who haven't tried it yet, take a gander at The Discovery Channel,
it provides a number of interesting insights.

Much of the more "primitive" forms of "magic" actually have a great deal
of scientific basis.  In fact, 70% can be explained in terms of simple
physics, chemistry, and psychology.

Examine the "Rituals" of a primitive culture, then examine a patient
suffering from "obsessive/compulsive" behaviour caused by high anxiety.
In modern societies, these rituals are self-imposed, but in more primitive
cultures, it is provided by the "spiritual leaders".

Many eastern cultures engage in practices, such as martial arts as a means
of strengthening the subconcious mind itself, and focusing it in many
positive directions.  The practitioners of Zen, Kendo, Akaido, and the
other martial arts are the leaders of industry.  Heads of multi-million
dollar corporations.

Even the discipline of singing or any of the other performing arts requires
a substantial amount of subconcious discipline.  Remember that performing
itself is unnatural, the most common fear is getting in front of a group
of people to perform.  Actors and singers build characters which temporarily
"take over" the concious mind and create a psychological "mask" which enables
them to perform.

In western society, because the subconcious is not usually channeled and
disciplined, there is a tendency for many creative people to show indications
of schizophrenia.  I was fascinated to see how many people in mental hospitals
have profound creative abilities in the arts, music, and sciences.  Yet efforts
to "override" the subconcious intellectually repeatedly failed.  In cases where
tharapy was successful, the patient was unable to use his creative abilities
without going into relapse.

Scientists acknowlege that there is a tremendous power within the subconcious
mind.  In western society, the undisciplined subconcious can be the source
of violent destructive emotions, psychosematic illnesses as real as those
caused by virus or bacteria, and criminal behaviour.

PSI examines the "effects" of the subconcious mind which may or may not
be well disciplined.  The important departure here is that PSI seeks
to determine the causes as well as effects of the subconcious mind.
The subconcious mind is the "origin" of "original thought", fed by
what?, the sum of experience?, some "spiritual force"?, or some
undetectable interaction between the subconcious of one individual
and the subconcious of others.  Perhaps there is an undetected
"network" which results in a higher intellegence.

In primitive cultures, the concept of "evil spirits" often referrs to anything
from microbes to emotional illnesses.  Yet, there is a great deal of scientific
basis behind the "treatment".

An amusing theory comes to mind.  Today, primitive cultures are a minority.
Often, special refuges must be provided to prevent "civilization" from
corrupting the "time archive" of these cultures.  However, suppose that
10,000 years ago, it was the advanced scientific cultures that were the
minority.  Perhaps there were cultures where applied chemistry and physics
were studied and developed as well as exported in the form of "sharmans"
or "priests".  It is likely that the more ambitious elements would consider
the primitive tribes ripe for control.  Control they would lose if their
"subjects" understood the technology being used by their "priests".

Examining the technology of ancient Egypt, Peking, Japan, or even
Central America gives evidence of a scientifically advanced
civilization, yet the surrounding "tribes" appear to be very
superstitious, and very "magic oriented".  The natural assumption might
be that the advanced civilization was a superstitious as the nearby
tribes.  Another possibility is that in these "bronze age
universities", knowlege, technology, and science were even more
advanced than the remaining artifacts indicate.

What is most interesting about these ancient cultures is that they had
two languages.  One "higher language" such as hieroglyphics or Kanji
and a "lower language" such as cuniform or Kana.  The most interesting
aspect is that these lower languages are actually parsable by computers
for speech synthisis purposes (though not for meaning).  Even more interesting
is that our 20th century society is evolving the same type of "hieroglyphic"
language today.

It is interesting to observe the "weapons preparation" done by the "priests"
of primitive tribes.  It almost looks like "steel forging", but in a culture
which has no knowledge of even metallurgy, let alone steel.  The result,
a primitive act appears almost silly, yet may be a trace of a technologically
advanced "priest", who once made steel weapons for that tribe, or a rival
tribe.

PSI research is an attempt to translate the "superstitions" and beliefs
of subjects who appear to have "race memories" of a technology they
don't in fact understand.  What makes it even more difficult is that
in many cases, it may be technology modern science doesn't understand
yet either.

Perhaps PK and ESP were once part of an ancient technology.  Perhaps they
were even enhanced by technology.  Perhaps they are "imitations" of some
techological "slight of hand" which may be as significant when it's nature
is discovered.  Perhaps ESP especially, is the effect of a "harmony" between
the concious and subconcious mind.  A state where both cooperate to enable
good judgements and decisions to be made instinctively, even before the
"facts" to support them are uncovered.

One can understand the workings of a computer from the simple "switch
technology" to "artificial intellegence" if the discipline range of
study spans the entire range of the technology.  The same is potentially
true of the human brain, and life itself.  We finally know enough about
the DNA and "switch technology" of organisms to begin following the chain
up to the source of "creative thought".  This is the one aspect which
computer technology has failed to duplicate.  Obviously, we are missing
a few pieces of the puzzle.