[net.sci] An observable experiment in PSI

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (08/02/86)

In article <1071@utastro.UUCP> bill@utastro.UUCP (William H. Jefferys) writes:
>>>We shall see. If such techniques show paranormal effects in
>>>anyone's hands, it might be interesting.
>
>>Are you saying any researcher or any subject.
>
>Acceptable: Find a subject who can do it repeatably in Randi's lab,
>or Flew's lab, or Blackmore's lab. Excuses like "Experimenter
>Effect", "Decline Effect", etc., will not be tolerated, much less
>accepted as "evidence" of paranormal effects.

How about: let Randi, Flew, Blackmore,... observe the experiment in
someone elses lab?  The experiment in question involves some very
expensive equipment.

>>>If a psychic can really exert enough force on the dice to affect the
>>>roll in a nonrandom way, surely he or she can exert enough psychic force
>>>on a sensitive torsion balance to move it measurably!
>
>>THIS IS THE BEST SUGGESTION YET!
>>Interestingly enough, there are several such experiments, to test both
>>transmission (PK), and reception (ESP).  The number of subjects able
>>to do this are very small, 1 per 5000 tested.  However, study of those
>>subjects has led to subsequent research that makes results easier to
>>achieve.
>
>If these individuals can demonstrate paranormal effects using these
>techniques in Randi's lab, or Blackmore's lab, or...

The experiments in question were shown on the NOVA series "the Brain".
Of particular interest (to me at least) was the "light bending" experiment.
The equipment was so sensitive, it could detect motion of the human body,
but the subject was able to Increase the effect, as if she were standing
closer than she actually was.  All monitored with needles, split screen
video tape recording, and appearantly very controlled.

Has Randi invited this subject to perform this experiment in his lab?
Has Randi, Blackmore,... requested to observe the experiment first-hand?
Would they be willing to take the time (several weeks) required to get
positive results?

>Are you aware that Sir William Crookes (who believed in psi) and
>Rhine each attempted many experiments of this type to find such
>effects, with no success whatsoever? Crookes did his experiments
>in the nineteenth century, so this idea is hardly new. One wonders
>why Rhine could get PK from dice rolls but not from delicately
>suspended magnetic needles.

Just to be fair, but discounting Rhine's "dice statistics",  Crookes didn't
have equipment capable of measuring nanovolts of energy, 100Ghz frequencies,
and microgauss of magnetic energy.

Calulate the "resonant frequency" of a nerve cell.  It appears to be somewhere
in the nanometer range.  It also appears to be electro-chemical rather than
simple electromagnetic or photon emission/reception.

It is interesting to note that the Egyptians made a very elaborate science
of collecting, storing, and discharging large amounts of "static electricity".
Supposedly, a concentrated, ionized "field" would enhance the "psychic ability"
of their priests.

An example of this technology is the "ark of the covenent and tabernacle"
described in the book of exodus.  Or the rituals described in the "book
of the dead".

20th century science has done very little research into this type of technology,
preferring electromagnetic and electronic research.  We may need to "rediscover"
this ancient technology.  At the very least, it could be enlightening.

I would guess that the "light bending" experiment actually has a normal
scientific explanation, and would probably provide a groundwork for some
"Real" PSI research.

hurst@grc97.UUCP (Dave Hurst) (08/07/86)

> It is interesting to note that the Egyptians made a very elaborate
> science of collecting, storing, and discharging large amounts of "static
> electricity".  Supposedly, a concentrated, ionized "field" would enhance
> the "psychic ability" of their priests.
>
> An example of this technology is the "ark of the covenent and tabernacle"
> described in the book of exodus.  Or the rituals described in the "book
> of the dead".

This sounds like it could be interesting. Could you please provide
references? I have a copy of the Book of the Dead (I've not gotten around
to reading it yet...).

> 20th century science has done very little research into this type of
> technology, preferring electromagnetic and electronic research.  We may
> need to "rediscover" this ancient technology.  At the very least, it
> could be enlightening.

Agreed. What sort of experimentation would you suggest. I'm willing to at
least think about doing experiments in my attic. (The mad scientist applies
the power to his infernal device. "Now Egor! I shall regenerate my cosmic
powers and rule the universe!" A brilliant flash of light comes from the
window in the attic as lightning strikes the static accumulators. The
peasants outside are hysterical, start to storm the gates... :-)
--
email:	{chinet,ihnp4}!grc97!hurst		David Hurst
phone:	(312) 640-2044				Gould Research Center

	All hail Discordia! Kallisti!