[net.sci] About the life of nuclear wastes

timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (Timothy D Margeson) (08/06/86)

There has been some discussion about nuclear waste and the side effects:

One of the pro arguments states that we can safely dispose of the effluent
and keep the site safe over the many hundreds to thousands of years, thus
preventing our grandchildren from accidentally digging into the waste dump.

I put to you the fact there are documented cases of arsenic disposal sites
created in the 1930's used for drinking water wells in the 1980's. A mere
50 years and we lost the dangers lurking beneath the ground.

The excuse or argument that we have better communication now than in 1950
holds no ground because a small war can destroy any and all of this better
communication in minutes. And the war need not be nuclear itself to do so.

Disposing of dangerous materials, whether nuclear waste, chemical waste, or
whatever you can think of being toxic to our grandchildren or their children
in dumps is unsafe, period. The material sunk into the ground, even in salt
domes will eventually be dug up, drilled through or somehow exposed, causing
at least minor injuries before the cause is isolated.

I don't have the answers, nor do I have the right questions to ask, but I do
intuitively know that creating large amounts of 'stuff' that we don't know
what we are going to do with after we make it, scares me.

Think about where you live. Someone has been there before you. What did they
do on your lot, maybe they mixed rat poison, maybe they mixed bread. Unless
you took the time to find out, you may unwittingly dig a vegy garden (or a
pool by the vegies) in dirt once used as a cattle or sheep insecticide dip
tank, and now you plant your tomatoes in it.

I for one would not like to think that what I did might kill someone at some
point in time after I have left this Earth. I do enough damage while I live.

Thought to think about. Toodles....

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (08/08/86)

In article <859@tekigm2.UUCP> timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (Timothy D Margeson) writes:
>There has been some discussion about nuclear waste and the side effects:

>...I put to you the fact there are documented cases of arsenic disposal sites
>created in the 1930's used for drinking water wells in the 1980's. A mere
>50 years and we lost the dangers lurking beneath the ground.

>...I don't have the answers, nor do I have the right questions to ask, but I do
>intuitively know that creating large amounts of 'stuff' that we don't know
>what we are going to do with after we make it, scares me.

You bring up the major problems with waste disposal, whether it be
chemical, biological or nuclear.  But, lets look a little more closely
at nuclear waste disposal.

The annual high level wastes from a 1000 MW nuclear power plant would occupy
approximately  90 cubic feet.  (A cube 4.5 feet on each side.)  This
cube would contain around 20 million curies of radioactivity making it
an obvious health hazard.  The radiation intensity will decrease
by a factor of 10 after a hundred years, and by a factor of 10,000
after four hundred years.  After 6 hundred years, the only hazard is if
it is ingested.  Therefore the "hundreds or thousands of years"
reference is a bit overstated.

The long term safety of geologic disposal depends on ensuring that the
wastes aren't released into the outside environment.  There are three
ways that a waste release could occur:  Exhumation from the repository
by some natural event; Exhumation as a result of human intrusion; Slow
transport of waste materials via ground water into water supplys.

To prevent radionuclides from getting into the groundwater, all
disposal plans call for the wastes to be stored in glass or ceramics
so it not neither chemically active or water soluble.  Then the
repository is located away from all ground water.   (This is why you
often hear about the use of salt mines.)

The most commonly mentioned type of human intrusion is drilling and
intercepting a canister.  This is why the disposal site would be
located in an area unlikely to have the natural resources that would
attract such drilling.  So, for human exposure to occur, the following
unlikely chain of events would have to occur.  First, the presence of
the repository would have to be forgotten.  Secondly,  there would
have to be some reason to choose the repository as an exploration
site.  Thirdly, the radioactivity of the material would have to go
unnoticed during drilling.  Fourth, for noticeable health effects, the
drilling would have to hit a canister nearly head on.  Fifth, the
radioactive material would have to be brought to the surface and left
exposed.  If any of these did not occur, significant release of
radiation would not occur.  While all of the above is theoretically
possible, it is much less risky then almost any other hazardous
material that we dispose of in the environment.

Geologic disposal has emerged as the preferred waste disposal system
in each of the major nuclear countries.  The West German program
emphasizes disposal in salt, as does the Netherlands.  Sweden, the
United Kingdom, France and Canada are concentrating on crystalline
rocks, such as granite and basalt.  Italy and Belgium are
investigating clays, mudstone and shales.

--
Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicome!meccts!mvs

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (08/09/86)

In article <859@tekigm2.UUCP>, timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (Timothy D Margeson) writes:
> There has been some discussion about nuclear waste and the side effects:
>
> One of the pro arguments states that we can safely dispose of the effluent
> and keep the site safe over the many hundreds to thousands of years, thus
> preventing our grandchildren from accidentally digging into the waste dump.

Here we go again, anyone here remember the discussion in net.politics?
I do not have the time to debate that arguement again here, but I wish
to provide some reading material for those interested.

First, we don't need to keep radioactive waste isolated for thousands,
or millions of years.  In 300 years the total radiological hazard is
less than the ore it came from.  In other words, after 300 years, we
will be on a net basis cleaning up the world.  For those interested,
please read "High-Level Radioactive Waste from Light Water Reactors",
by Bernard L. Cohen, Reviews of Modern Physics, January 1977, pages
1 to 20.  Appendix C shows calculations which indicate that the time
to dissolve the salt bed in which nuclear waste is enclosed to be
60,000 years, which is 200 times the time we need.  And this assumes
that we missed finding a water source in the salt bed.  But even after
this the water has to corrode through the cannisters and dissolve the
waste, which is glassous, and not easy to dissolve, although it will.
I think someone will start wondering what they are on top of if they
start bring up chunks of stainless steel, quartz, and benezanne (sp)
clay, which is used in the container design.  If you really want
a proven design structure that will withstand the ravages of time,
let's build the pyramids over again.  We know that they can withstand
300 years easily,  I think they date back a couple thousand years.
The only future risk will be to those who go inside before 300 years.
I think that people will figure out something is wrong when everyone
who goes in dies of radiation poisoning.

I will probably not be adding much more to this discussion because
my productivity dropped greatly during the debate in net.politics.
But I'll be glad to answer individual inquires (provided I don't get
too many of them) via E-mail.

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102

Spock: "Captain, you are an excellent Starship Captain, but as
a taxi driver, you leave much to be desired."

Kirk: "What do you mean, 'if both survive' ?"
T'Pow: "This combat is to the death"

In article <479@meccts.UUCP>, mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) writes:

> To prevent radionuclides from getting into the groundwater, all
> disposal plans call for the wastes to be stored in glass or ceramics
> so it not neither chemically active or water soluble.  Then the
> repository is located away from all ground water.   (This is why you
> often hear about the use of salt mines.)

Almost but not quite right.  In order to lower the odds of the
site becoming a future salt mine, you want a salt bed that does
NOT have a plentiful source of fresh water available.  Salt mines
are usually found where there is both a salt bed and a large source
of fresh water (to mine the salt of course).

> Geologic disposal has emerged as the preferred waste disposal system
> in each of the major nuclear countries.  The West German program
> emphasizes disposal in salt, as does the Netherlands.  Sweden, the
> United Kingdom, France and Canada are concentrating on crystalline
> rocks, such as granite and basalt.  Italy and Belgium are
> investigating clays, mudstone and shales.

Check out Sweden, they have a VERY expensive radioactive waste
container.  But it is probably the most indestructable of all the
container schemes.
> Michael V. Stein
> Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services
>
> UUCP	ihnp4!dicome!meccts!mvs
Not you again!   (:->