[net.sci] H-less liquids

lotto@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Jerry Lotto) (10/02/86)

The original poster asked for a common household liguid whose MAJOR
component is a molecule that has no hydrogen. Some suggestions so far:

Ammonia - no. Not only does the molecule (NH3 gas) have hydrogen in it, but
	the MAIN component of household ammonia (NH4OH solution) is water.

Bleach - Also mostly water. It is true that NaOCl has no hydrogen, but
	household bleach is rarely less than 90% water by weight.

Glass - an amorphous solid. The definition of a fluid is a substance which
	has no definite shape or form, such as a gas or a liquid. If you
	think glass belongs in that category, try walking through a pane
	or two.

The only answer I could come up with is Freon. Of course, it is
arguable whether Freon is a gas or a liquid, but I feel justified by
the fact that at any given moment, more than 90% of the Freon in your
house is in liquid form. I also feel a little funny about the term
"common" as in "common household liquid". After all, most people
wouldn't know where to look if you stopped by to borrow a cup...

Silicone (grease/oil) might be another answer if it wasn't for the fact
that alkyl (methyl) groups are used to prevent crosslinking. Without
these "end caps", silicone would be useful for door stops.
--
lotto@lhasa.uucp

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (10/03/86)

The mercury in the thermometers?

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

rob@maccs.UUCP (Rob McDonald) (10/07/86)

> The original poster asked for a common household liguid whose MAJOR
> component is a molecule that has no hydrogen. Some suggestions so far:
>
> Ammonia - no. Not only does the molecule (NH3 gas) have hydrogen in it, but
> 	the MAIN component of household ammonia (NH4OH solution) is water.
>
> Bleach - Also mostly water. It is true that NaOCl has no hydrogen, but
> 	household bleach is rarely less than 90% water by weight.
>
> Glass - an amorphous solid. The definition of a fluid is a substance which
> 	has no definite shape or form, such as a gas or a liquid. If you
> 	think glass belongs in that category, try walking through a pane
> 	or two.
>
> The only answer I could come up with is Freon. Of course, it is
> arguable whether Freon is a gas or a liquid, but I feel justified by
> the fact that at any given moment, more than 90% of the Freon in your
> house is in liquid form. I also feel a little funny about the term
> "common" as in "common household liquid". After all, most people
> wouldn't know where to look if you stopped by to borrow a cup...
>
> Silicone (grease/oil) might be another answer if it wasn't for the fact
> that alkyl (methyl) groups are used to prevent crosslinking. Without
> these "end caps", silicone would be useful for door stops.
> --
> lotto@lhasa.uucp
It is also arguable whether or not Freon contains hydrogen.
Freon 12 is CCl2f2 (Dichlorodiflouromethane)
Freon 21 is CHCl2F (Dichloromonoflouromethane)
Both may be found in houshold refigeration units such as refirgerators
or air conditioners.
.....Rob@maccs.uucp

jp@faron.UUCP (Jeffrey Picciotto) (10/14/86)

In article <17@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU> lotto@wjh12.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) writes:

>Glass - an amorphous solid. The definition of a fluid is a substance which
>	has no definite shape or form, such as a gas or a liquid. If you
>	think glass belongs in that category, try walking through a pane
>	or two.

Actually glass is a fluid (though not a liquid).  The issue (in the case
of glass) is wether or not it is crystalline.  It is not.   Being in a
"rigid condition" does not preclude being a fluid.

--jeff
{*}!linus!faron!jp
jpicc@mitre-bedford.arpa