[net.math.stat] BVAR AND ECONOMICS

walt_sak@proper.UUCP (Walt Sakai) (10/08/85)

> From dual!lll-crg!seismo!harvard!h-sc1!quah
> Subject: Re: FORECASTING CAPITAL MARKETS
>
> For  forecasting in general,  a representation known as  bayesian
> vector  autoregressions seems to have been relatively  successful
> in certain macroeconomic applications.  This is work most closely
> associated  with  the  ideas of Bob Litterman and Chris  Sims  at
> Minnesota.

They  seem  to indicate that BVAR also outperforms the  expensive
commercial forecasting services!   References are:

Thomas Doan / Robert Litterman / Christopher Sims   1984
"Forecasting  and  Conditional Projection Using  Realistic  Prior
Distributions"  Econometric Rev. 3:1-100.

William Lupoletti and Roy Webb   1984
"Defining  and  Improving  the Accuracy  of  Economic  Forecasts:
Contributions  from  a  VAR Model"     Federal  Reserve  Bank  of
Richmond, Working Paper 84-6.

> I have not myself seen these ideas applied in the more "finance"-
> oriented areas.  Everyone I know who uses these things is kind of
> macro-academic.  Litterman  and  Doan also have a package  called
> RATS (Regression Analysis of Time Series) that implements many of
> these  ideas,  available  on both mainframes and  IBM-type  PC's.
> (Alas  no  unix (tm) implementation yet).  I  know  that  certain
> financial firms have found this product useful although I haven't
> seen  any of their empirical research and success published as of
> yet :-).

There  is  some work work going on in the University of  Chicago
using   RATS   for  testing  bias  in  forex   forward   pricing.
Preliminary   results  indicate  that  the  usual   random   walk
dominates.

Walt Sakai
     uucp: {ucbvax, hplabs, ihnp4, cbosgd,
            unisoft, decwrl, fortune, sun}!dual!proper!walt_sak
                              {intelca, qantel}!proper!walt_sak
ARPA(new):  dual!proper!walt_sak@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
ARPA(old):  dual!proper!walt_sak@BERKELEY.ARPA