[net.math.stat] UNIXSTAT programs anyone?

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) (04/11/86)

Does anyone have the UNIXSTAT package that Gary Perlman submitted to
the Usenix library, running on a 3B2 or similar AT&T box? I have an
older version that is giving me some problems, and I don't want to
spend too much time hacking on it if someone else has a hacked version
that would run on a 3B2 with system V. It runs just fine on my 4.2 system.

Please mail me any helpful suggestions, or if you have a 3B sys V version,
mail me the sources.  thx.

--
AT&T: (414) 963-5133                  {The views above may or may}  `O_o'
ARPA: uwmcsd1!dave@wisc-rsch.ARPA     {not reflect the views of any} ( )

perlman@wanginst.UUCP (Gary Perlman) (04/17/86)

In article <1088@uwmcsd1.UUCP> dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) writes:
>Does anyone have the UNIXSTAT package that Gary Perlman submitted to
>the Usenix library, running on a 3B2 or similar AT&T box?

The UNIX|STAT version submitted to the USENIX tape is very old, maybe
3 1/2 years, and has some portability problems fixed years ago.
If you have a version of UNIX|STAT that old, I strongly recommend you
get the new version which is better in every way software can get better.
There are new programs, new features, better documentation, online help,
and the programs are more robust and faster.  And there is now a handbook
for people who know how to do statistics, and want to use UNIX|STAT.

Full details follow.

                               UNIX|STAT 5.2
                   DATA MANIPULATION & ANALYSIS PROGRAMS
                            FOR UNIX and MSDOS

     UNIX|STAT is a set of over 20 data manipulation and analysis  programs
developed  at  the  University  of  California,  San  Diego and at the Wang
Institute of Graduate Studies by Gary Perlman.  The programs  are  designed
with  the  UNIX  philosophy  that individual programs should be designed as
tools that do one task well and produce output suitable for input via pipes
to  other  programs.   Interactive  use  is  supported  in the command line
interpreter  which  also  provides  a  programming  language  for   complex
analyses.   Typical  usage  involves  a pipeline of transformations of data
followed by input to an analysis program, summarized schematically by:

            INPUT DATA | TRANSFORM | ANALYSIS | OUTPUT RESULTS

Functionality often built into statistical  packages  (e.g.,  graphics  and
sorting)   is   not   re-invented   in   UNIX|STAT   which  delegates  such
responsibility to standard tools.

DATA MANIPULATION PROGRAMS:

     abut      join data files
     colex     column extraction
     dm        column oriented data manipulator
     maketrix  create matrix type file from free-form file
     perm      randomly permute lines in a file
     probdist  probability distribution functions
     ranksort  rank order columns
     repeat    repeat a pattern or file
     reverse   reverse lines, columns, and characters
     series    print a series of numbers
     transpose transpose matrix type file
     validata  verify data file consistency

DATA ANALYSIS PROGRAMS:

     anova     multi-factor analysis of variance
     calc      interactive algebraic modeling calculator
     contab    contingency tables and chi-square
     desc      descriptions histograms, frequency tables
     dprime    signal detection d' and beta calculations
     oneway    one-way anova and t-test and error-bar plots
     pair      paired data statistics, regression, plots
     regress   multivariate linear regression
     stats     report summary statistics
     ts        time series analysis and plots

FEATURES:

     easy to use (negligible training period)
     simple input formats (free format field oriented)
     used in pipelines with other UNIX or MSDOS utilities (sort, print)
     flexible data manipulation
     data validation (range and type checking)
     full documentation (manual entries, tutorials)
     extensible (many modular C functions)
     efficient (less than a few seconds per analysis)
     small enough for micros
     runs on any UNIX System (V6, V7, 2.8BSD, 4BSD, System V, etc.)
     runs on MSDOS 2.0 and 3.0 with 96K (IBM PC, Wang PC, AT&T PC, etc.)
     liberal copyright (can't be distributed for gain)
     in use at more than 400 UNIX sites for six years

CHANGES FOR RELEASE 5.0 (March 1985):

     reworked to increase portability, reliability, usability
     most commands now use a standard option parser (getopt)
     all calculations now done in double precision
     improved error messages
     regress now does a partial correlation analysis
     colex and trans added as alternative to dm
     better approximations to F-ratios
     efficiency of I/O improved
     most programs ported to MSDOS
     improved random number seeding on UNIX
     standard exit status (0) on successful runs
     version control added

CHANGES FOR RELEASE 5.1 (November 1985):

     several minor bugs removed
     the full package was ported to MSDOS

CHANGES FOR RELEASE 5.2 (January 1986):

     5 probability distributions with random number generation
     crosstabs and chi-square program
     on-line help in most programs
     plotting options added to paired data program
     anova program more robust
     error bar plots, unweighted means solution in oneway program
     better support for residual plotting in regress
     UNIX|STAT Handbook and new manual entries
     on-line manuals on MSDOS

AVAILABILITY AND ORDERING INFORMATION:

     The programs are distributed under a liberal copyright.  The  software
(program   code,   executable  code,  and  on-line  documentation)  can  be
distributed freely, provided there is no material  gain.   All  rights  are
reserved on the printed documentation.

All prices include delivery and should be prepaid US funds to G. Perlman.

  UNIX Version of UNIX|STAT:
     Price:    $20
     Contents: Program (C language) & Manual (troff) Source Files
     Format:   600 foot half inch 9 track mag tape, 1600 bpi tar format
  MSDOS Version of UNIX|STAT:
     Price:    $15
     Contents: Preformatted Manuals and Executables
     Format:   2S/2D MSDOS 5.25 inch floppy diskettes
  Handbook:
     Price:    $10
     Contents: Examples, Conventions, Reference Materials, CALC & DM Manuals
     Format:   Printed Manual (~70 pages)
  Printed Manual Entries:
     Price:    $5
     Contents: Typeset Versions of Manual Entries, Reference Sheets
     Format:   Printed Manual (~30 pages)

CONTACT:

     Gary Perlman
     Wang Institute of Graduate Studies
     Tyng Road
     Tyngsboro, MA 01879 USA
     (617) 649-9731
     UUCP: decvax!wanginst!perlman  CSNET: perlman@wanginst

NOTES:

     UNIX|STAT is unsupported, though known bugs have been removed.
     UNIX|STAT may not be distributed for profit.
     UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.
     UNIX|STAT is NOT a product of any company or organization.

--
Gary Perlman  Wang Institute  Tyngsboro, MA 01879  (617) 649-9731
UUCP: decvax!wanginst!perlman             CSNET: perlman@wanginst