[net.misc] Our National Anthem

jjm@hou5e.UUCP (07/01/83)

	There was an ad in a newspaper I saw this morning that had all
	three stanzas of our national anthem.  I don't think I had
	ever heard the second or third stanza before...

	As I remember my American History from grade school, Francis Scott
	Key wrote The Star Spangled Banner based on an old English
	drinking song.  (Possibly a bawdy drinking song.)

	Does anyone out there have the original words to the song, or
	are they no longer known?

	Jim McParland
	ABI - HO
	hou5e!jjm

dee@cca.UUCP (Donald Eastlake) (07/03/83)

"The Star-Spangled Banner" was written to the tune of a drinking song
called "To Anacreon in Heaven" with words by Ralph Tomlinson, Esq., and
music by John Stafford Smith.  The original was sung at the Crown Anchor
Tavern in the Strand around 1780 or so.

You to can have a copy of the complete words to this song (with guitar
cords), over 150 other songs related to fiction, science, fandom,
Tolkien, Star Trek, etc., and the complete script to an SF parody of
H.M.S. Pinafore, all for only $11 ($10 for the book plus $1 for
shipping), by purchasing a copy of "The NESFA Hymnal" from The New
England Science Fiction Associaton, PO Box G, MIT Branch Post Office,
Cambridge, MA 02139.

					Donald Eastlake
					dee@cca, decvax!cca!dee

fred@umcp-cs.UUCP (07/06/83)

	From: dee@cca

	"The Star-Spangled Banner" was written to the tune of a
	drinking song called "To Anacreon in Heaven" with words by
	Ralph Tomlinson, Esq., and music by John Stafford Smith.
	The original was sung at the Crown Anchor Tavern in the
	Strand around 1780 or so.

``The Star Spangled Banner'' was written as a poem. Only after it
had been published was it discovered that it could be sung to the
tune of ``To Anacreon in Heaven''.

paul@uofm-cv.UUCP (07/06/83)

The song was "To Anacreon in Heaven" I believe, and will look through my
Americana for the original text (someone will beat me to it, no doubt).

trb@floyd.UUCP (07/06/83)

If you guys haven't noticed, there's been some stir in the media
because popular musicians have been singing "enhanced" renditions of
our national anthem.  I think the American Legion is pretty pissed off
and there has been quite a bit of national news coverage.  ABC
Nightline spent at least 15 minutes on it on July 4, with a dual
interview of Garrison Keillor (I forget how he spells it) and the Grand
Dragonnette (or something) of the Daughters of the American
revolution.  Actually, they were both pretty liberal on the issue,
saying that love and respect for our great nation is the important
thing and that people should sing it as they please.

Nightline showed swatches of Jimi Hendrix's Woodstock rendition, and
also Marvin Gaye's version from the latest NBA All Star Game.
Hendrix's is a classic, with amazing interpretations of the "rocket's
red glare" and such, and Marvin Gaye's is as funkily moving a version
as I've heard.  I think the Legionnaires are upset that Gaye is going
to record his arrangement; they are actually trying to legislate (!)
that artists can't alter our national anthem.

Sometimes I wish that all narrow minded people would just go away and
die (to put it in a narrow minded way).

	Hoping your news is better than that,
	Andy Tannenbaum   Bell Labs  Whippany, NJ   (201) 386-6491

urban@trwspp.UUCP (07/06/83)

The awful music for our national anthem is something
called `Anacreon(sp?) in Heaven'.  It's in the "Oak, Ash, and Thorn
Drink-along Song Book", but really isn't very interesting.
It was sort of a club anthem for a particular drinking
group.

Hardly anyone can sing the damn thing because it covers two octaves,
and has bletchy harmonic progressions.

	Mike

bloom@inmet.UUCP (07/12/83)

#R:hou5e:-61500:inmet:6400021:000:176
inmet!bloom    Jul 11 21:35:00 1983

	"The Star-Spangled Banner" became the U.S. National Anthem on
March 3, 1931 !!

	Does anyone know what the anthem was before that?

				Ray Bloom
				{harpo, ima}!inmet!bloom

pct@vaxine.UUCP (Pierre Trepagnier) (07/13/83)

We didn't have a "national anthem" before 1931. The whole "national" mania is
relatively recent. (What is our national insect?)

nather@utastro.UUCP (07/16/83)

If our national insect isn't the computer bug, it should be:

                             ___      ___
                                \    /
                             ....\||/....
                            .    .  .    .
                           .      ..      .
                           .    0 .. 0    .
                        /\  .    .  .    .  /\
                       /  \  .../|  |\...  /  \
                      /    \  /   \/   \  /    \
                     /  /\  \/          \/  /\  \
                       /  \ /            \ /  \
                      / /\ \|            |/ /\ \
                     / /  \ |            | /  \ \
                      /    \|            |/    \
                     /      \            /      \
                             \ _ _ _ _  /
                              \ _ _ _  /
                               \ _ _  /
                                \ _  /
                                 \__/

bloom@inmet.UUCP (07/16/83)

#R:hou5e:-61500:inmet:6400029:000:921
inmet!bloom    Jul 15 10:32:00 1983

Received the following in response to my response:

					Ray Bloom
					{harpo, ima}!inmet!bloom

From: decvax!cornell!cde (Carl Eichenlaub) <cde@ima!cca!decvax!microso!u.UUCP>
Subject: Re: Our National Anthem - (nf)
To: uw-beav!microso!decvax!cca!ima!inmet!bloom

    I believe that date refers to the passing of a bill by
Congress making The Star-Spangled Banner the national anthem
officialy.  It had, prior to that time, always been recognized
informally as the national anthem.

Carl D. Eichenlaub
Cornell University

hammy@mit-eddie.UUCP (J. Scott Hamilton) (07/18/83)