[net.tv.soaps] Seriously soaps

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (07/25/85)

Does anyone take soaps seriously? My wife and I watch AMC everyday and we
find it hilarious when it tries to get serious. For instance, Nina looking
up at Benny and seeing Zach had us rolling on the floor. The overdramatic
way people acted as Nina was carted off to Oakhaven was also a riot.
Is our reaction common or do other people really "get envolved" with the
soap characters?

I would also be interested in hearing peoples comments on the AMC storylines
envolving Tad/Dotty/Jr. Busboy/Barton/Micky (I think this story line is
boring), and Angie/Jesse/Eugene (how many people think Angie has been a
real jerk for too long).

My favorite line from AMC in the past five years:
Ellen to Nina while looking at a computer listing:
"Look at this page, it has an interesting algorithm on it."

josie@ihuxw.UUCP (Johanna Clementz) (07/30/85)

> Does anyone take soaps seriously?

I agree with your comments about AMC - like last week when Jessie and Eugene
were fighting - the film switched to slow motion and the theme from
CAT PEOPLE started playing - how ridiculous! I generally DO get
involved to a certain extent though; but sometimes, when they drag
a story line out forever I get so frustrated I have to stop watching
it for a few weeks. For example - Greg and Jenny finding each other,
Palmer getting out of tax fraud charges, Linda Warner's creepiness,
and currently Hillary and Bob's empty marriage.

> I would also be interested in hearing peoples comments on the AMC storylines
> envolving Tad/Dotty/Jr. Busboy/Barton/Micky (I think this story line is
> boring), and Angie/Jesse/Eugene (how many people think Angie has been a
> real jerk for too long).

I enjoy seeing Tad and Dotty together - they are quite a pair; and
I prefer them to anything with Hillary in it! Now SHE'S boring!
I'd put money on her making the wrong decision every time. She's
got a really good husband in Bob Georgia, and she's constantly
dreaming of Tad. She could never be happy with Tad anyway!
And as soon as she leaves Bob for Tad, Tad won't be interested
in her anymore! As for Andrew, I think he's kind of a drip;
I wish Dotty would get involved with someone more interesting.
As far as the current story line is concerned, it seems like
a no-win situation to me - if Andrew is able to get the necklace,
how would they be better off?

Yes, Angela HAS been a jerk for too long. She'd probably be
better off with a handsome young doctor. If I had been in her
place, Eugene would have been out the door with Jessie!

--

				-Josie
				 (...!ihnp4!ihuxw!josie)

lsmith@h-sc1.UUCP (Liz Smith) (07/30/85)

In article <769@uscvax.UUCP> kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) writes:
>Does anyone take soaps seriously? My wife and I watch AMC everyday and we
>find it hilarious when it tries to get serious.

I think soaps are among the funniest things on TV - especially when AMC
characters have fantasies and the actors wind up acting out completely bizarre
things. Also, half the fun is predicting what is going to happen or what lines
are coming next.

>I would also be interested in hearing peoples comments on the AMC storylines
>envolving Tad/Dotty/Jr. Busboy/Barton/Micky (I think this story line is
>boring), and Angie/Jesse/Eugene (how many people think Angie has been a
>real jerk for too long).

Tad and Dotty have to sleep together so she can get pregnant when she doesn't
want to - it's the irony factor. The other two story lines bore me, but I can't
wait for Erica to fall for Jeremy or Gilles (unless Brooke does first) - any
bets?

My favorite scene from AMC in the past five years:
When Tad leaves Hilary and Bob's wedding to walk into a video (and get held up
by Mickey).

Liz Smith

bccarty@whuts.UUCP (Brian C. Carty) (07/30/85)

> Does anyone take soaps seriously? My wife and I watch AMC everyday and we
> find it hilarious when it tries to get serious. For instance, Nina looking
> up at Benny and seeing Zach had us rolling on the floor. The overdramatic
> way people acted as Nina was carted off to Oakhaven was also a riot.
> Is our reaction common or do other people really "get envolved" with the
> soap characters?

Speaking for myself and a few friends, I think it's a combination of
both reactions.  There are characters one roots for in certain
situations, and then there are other situations in which they get so
ridiculous by trying to be serious that you can't help but laugh.  It
all depends on what you expect to get out of the program --- comedy or
drama.
--
	Brian C. Carty 		AT&T Bell Laboratories - Piscataway, NJ

		..!{ihnp4|allegra}!whuts!bccarty