[net.tv.soaps] AMC death

pearce@utcs.UUCP (Frank Pearce) (07/16/85)

I was digusted with yesterday's AMC show (Monday)!  They couldn't even
acknowledge the fact that the actress that played Kate Martin really did
die (a while ago), and convey their condolences. DISGUSTING!

alle@ihuxb.UUCP (Allen England) (07/22/85)

> I was digusted with yesterday's AMC show (Monday)!  They couldn't even
> acknowledge the fact that the actress that played Kate Martin really did
> die (a while ago), and convey their condolences. DISGUSTING!

On Wednesday's show (7/17), they showed a reprise of scenes with Kate
Martin over the years, and at the very end, showed the picture of
the actress who played Kate (whose name escapes me at the moment)
with the years she lived underneath.

                                 --> Allen <--
                               ihnp4!ihuxb!alle

krossen@bbncca.ARPA (Ken Rossen) (07/24/85)

>     the actress who played Kate (whose name escapes me at the moment)

The actress was Kay Campbell.

--
Kenr	...!{decvax,ihnp4,ima,linus,harvard}!bbncca!krossen

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (07/30/85)

> I was digusted with yesterday's AMC show (Monday)!  They couldn't even
> acknowledge the fact that the actress that played Kate Martin really did
> die (a while ago), and convey their condolences. DISGUSTING!

At the end of the show that had the funeral and the Kate Martin retrospective,
they showed a picture of the actress, her name, and indicated she had died.
I think everyone that watches the show knew she had died anyway. The fact
that they brought back some characters that had not been on in quite a
while (an old Tara, and Dr. Tyler) indicates that they were not sparing
expenses to write her out quickly. The sensitivity with which they handled
her death should also account for something.

My question is: Now that Kate is gone, who will take her place as the only
truly decent and kind-hearted person in Pine Valley. Everyone else currently
on the show has some skeleton to hide. Kate seemed to be the only one who
was always good.

pearce@utcs.UUCP (Frank Pearce) (07/30/85)

  In article 566 Patricia Boren writes:

What do you mean that AMC didn't mention anything about Kay
Campbell's death?  During the week of July 15-19, they
announced Kate had died in her sleep, had a funeral for her
(with Joe giving the eulogy and Tara and Charlie attending),
and paid her a beautiful tribute by showing her family and
friends reminiscing about her (with flashbacks) while they
played her favorite song.  It ended with Kate blowing a kiss
goodbye with the words "Kay Campbell, 1905 - 1985."

Just yesterday (July 25), Joe and Ruth read a letter that
Kate had written to be read after she died, and I thought
it was nice, too.

So just remember, shows eventually catch up with current
happenings.  And also, realize that AMC could have replaced
her with another actress.  All in all, AMC handled it
beautifully.  Too bad you missed it.
--

   Au contraire!

  At the time I wrote the article (I assume you mean the first "AMC death"
article) nothing was mentioned about Kay's death. This was the show where
Kate was discovered upstairs "asleep" by Tad's little brother (I forget his
name), and was the cliff-hanger.  This was approx. a month after the actress'
real death.
  When an actor/actress dies on any show I think it is extremely tacky to
write them out of the show.  What's wrong with just mentioning there death
and leaving it at that (I don't mean in the story line)?
  Having had very close family members die, and had they been actors, I know
I that would certainly be very upset if they had been treated in such a manner.
  By the way...I have a vcr and watch all episodes of AMC. The funeral, letter,
etc. were not of the actress, but of her character.  I wonder if Kate's family
and friends were consulted!

                                      Frank Pearce
                                      U of T
                                      Toronto, Ontario