[net.misc] Defaming the name of Jesus Christ

cliffm@tektronix.UUCP (Cliff Morgan) (07/15/83)

If you're tempted to do it, please don't.  Some of the "jokes"
submitted to this newsgroup are bordering on blasphemy, and
have no place in this newsgroup.  (Forgive them Lord, for they
know not what they do.)

                                             Cliff Morgan
                                             tektronix!cliffm

death@yale-com.UUCP (Doctor Death) (07/15/83)

One man's blasphemy is another man's living. You want blasphemy,
go listen to Martin Mull's song "I Wanna Be God."

Also perhaps refer to William's play "Night of the Iguana," where
a character says he refuses to believe in a god who is a "senile delinquent"
who knocks over the checkerboard every time he gets petulant.

I was wondering how long it would take before someone whould take
umbrage at the "JHC" jokes.
			-=- death

tim@unc.UUCP (07/15/83)

            If you're tempted to do it, please don't.  Some of
        the "jokes" submitted to this newsgroup are bordering
        on blasphemy, and have no place in this newsgroup.
        (Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do.)

    Cliff, I'm sure that if I can survive being called "Tim Macaroni"
for most of my life, God can survive being called Howard.  This
reminds me of a cartoon I saw once of a preacher standing between God
and a bunch of nonbelievers, shouting "Don't worry, Lord, I'll protect
you!"

    Or, to look at it another way: If God has no sense of humor, why
did He invent religion?

______________________________________
The overworked keyboard of Tim Maroney

duke!unc!tim (USENET)
tim.unc@udel-relay (ARPA)

jjm@hou5e.UUCP (07/18/83)

	You know, I was so insulted by the warning not to defame
	the name of your God that I almost submitted an article
	doing exactly that just to inflame all you holier-than-thou
	netters.  A name is a name is a name.  Period.  And if I
	choose to use the name of someone else's God in vain, it
	certainly isn't blasphemy to MY God (whoever He may be).

	Certainly the discussion of "Jesus H. Christ" so far has
	been merely frivolous; I haven't seen anything intended
	to be insulting to Christians.  Don't over-react.

	Jim McParland (I used to be a Roman Catholic, but I grew out of it)
	ABI - HO
	hou5e!jjm

ginger@ssc-vax.UUCP (Ginger Grover) (07/18/83)

Bleh!  If you think God dosen't have a
sense of humor, you've never been to
Cleveland.

				ssc-vax!ginger

rcj@burl.UUCP (07/20/83)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you religious types don't want to read the articles that have
a subject line of:

Subject: Re: Jesus H. Christ

then USE YOUR 'n' KEY!!

I happen to think that these "discussions" are amusing and enjoy
reading them, their content is obvious by now, and you are not being
forced to read them.  I second Dave Ihnat's observation that religious
fanatics in this country are getting out of hand.  Banning/burning
library books stinks of a censorship formerly reserved for the likes
of Hitler and the Ayatollah (sp).

If I can put up with people telling me to believe in a 2,000 year-old book
which has been changed/chopped/retranslated/mangled by at least
twelve different popes whose only interest was in protecting their
church (and rightfully so, that was their job); a book whose New Testament
was written (for the most part) several decades after Christ supposedly
died; a book from which 12 "books" were chopped by one pope alone because
he was losing people to the Eastern religions and wanted to bring
them back; etc. etc. etc. -- then you guys can at least put up with a
few harmless jokes from us sinners THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO READ ANYWAY!!

I have an uncle who is an EXTREMELY devout Christian and a devoted
Biblical historian of some twenty years.  He admits all of the above
but still believes the teachings of the Bible.  I do not agree with
him, but I have ENORMOUS respect for the man -- because he does
not try to make me conform to his beliefs.

.=   (Flame off.)

A note to those who have said (rightfully so) that I flame before
thinking -- I sat on this one for some time before 'f'ing to it,
--

The MAD Programmer -- 919-228-3814 (Cornet 291)
alias: Curtis Jackson	...![ floyd sb1 mhuxv ]!burl!rcj

hutch@dadla-b.UUCP (07/22/83)

To Curtis Jackson and anyone else who cares to be insulted:

Hey, CRETINS, we started net.religion *JUST* so half-informed flames about
Christians and any other religion could be isolated to a place where those
who don't want to see them, wouldn't HAVE to.  So, since you are so happily
advocating the use of the "n" key, why not ALSO use that OTHER little-used
feature -- the APPROPRIATE NEWSGROUP!!

THat way, you won't have to embarrass yourself in front of an intolerant
audience, and you might even LEARN something.  Maybe.  Perhaps.

Steve Hutchison
Tektronix Logic Analyzers

west@sdcsla.UUCP (Larry West) (07/27/83)

>>  From sdcsvax!philabs!linus!decvax!tektronix!cliffm Thu Jul 14 20:35:14 1983
>>  Subject: Defaming the name of Jesus Christ
>>  Newsgroups: net.misc
>>
>>  If you're tempted to do it, please don't.  Some of the "jokes"
>>  submitted to this newsgroup are bordering on blasphemy, and
>>  have no place in this newsgroup.  (Forgive them Lord, for they
>>  know not what they do.)
>>
>>                                             Cliff Morgan
>>                                             tektronix!cliffm

Out of [polite] curiosity, why is it that this Jesus person gets
so upset over people having fun with his name?   Seems like a fairly
innocuous waste of time, and hardly worth an eternity in Hell.

			-- Larry West    UC San Diego
			-- UUCP:	 sdcsvax!sdcsla!west

steve@zinfandel.UUCP (07/28/83)

#R:tektroni:-122200:zinfandel:8200052:000:4
zinfandel!steve    Jul 25 16:26:00 1983

:-(