[net.tv.soaps] AMC flame

jayj@hpisla.UUCP (Jay Johannes) (01/08/86)

    This is getting so bad that I have to scream somewhere. Please
    indulge my ravings.

    The amount and type of rehashed plot that is coming out of
    AMC is really too much to tolerate.

    For example, Erica has just been deceived and lured into
    the Canadian wilderness by Alex [nee Adam], who hopes to
    seduce her in order to spite Jeremy. The plans have gone
    wrong, and there has been an accident which effectively
    traps them [landslide this time, plane crash last time].
    Jeremy, of course has found out about the deception and
    races off to the woods in order to play RCMP type hero.

    They have just finished playing the flashbacks of last summer's
    abduction, and now they go off and come up with a plot
    that is so similar that anyone watching can only
    laugh at it. Do they really expect to be taken seriously?
    If the writers want to play 'Perils of Pauline' with
    Erica, they could at least find something new. Maybe
    just have Alex have his boringly awaited heart attack
    while climbing into bed with the sleeping Erica, perhaps?

    A much better device would be for Adam to announce that
    he and Erica are still married during the wedding
    to Jeremy. (Remember, he sent Stuart to get the divorce,
    so it isn't binding).

    I guess I have been picking on the Erica subplot, but
    less severe examples can be found with Palmer/Nina,
    Adam/Ross, and Jessie/world among others. Is Agnes spending
    too much time on her other soaps? I dont know, I dont watch them.

    There has been so much lost potential in the last year.
    Jessie at the police acadamy would have been great.
    Tad's turnaround to a responsible character is overdue.
    He would make a good lawyer, and the show needs one
    (Who's going to defend Tom?). Instead they wasted
    an entire summer on this computer disc garbage.
    (even 8 year olds know about backup copies)

    Sorry to ramble, but I feel better now.

    Jay Johannes

sint@ihlpl.UUCP (Marguerite Czajka) (01/16/86)

> 	I keep expecting her to say "auntie Em, auntie Em".
> Maybe someone needs to tell her to tap her ruby slippers together
> and think of Kansas and all will be well.  At least she is
> better than the last one (the one with the nostrals that were
> so big you could drive a Mack truck through when she flared them).

I'm glad someone else has noticed this!  I've been telling people
for weeks that Nina reminds me of Dorothy.  I keep expecting to hear
her say "There's no place like home!"  Hopefully she'll grow up when
she regains her memory.  But I also like her better than the first two
- watching either of them drove me crazy!

ibyf@ihlpa.UUCP (Scott) (01/17/86)

> > better than the last one (the one with the nostrals that were
> > so big you could drive a Mack truck through when she flared them).
> I'm glad someone else has noticed this!  I've been telling people
Please post this to net.jokes!  They say real life is funnier!

> ........................ But I also like her better than the first two
> - watching either of them drove me crazy!

Sorry, I must disagree. I have been watching the show since about 78
(Just before they lost Tara) and for me, Taylor Miller is the ONLY
one who could play Nina with any believeability.  The interaction
between her and Pete Bergman was truly wonderful and really enhanced
each others talents.  Since she left, I have not seen anything more
than "an actress". Taylor actually duped me into believing she was
really Nina.  Maybe she is like that in real life. Who knows.

					Addison
					ihnp4!ihlpa!ibyf

My brother? I always thought of him as mom and dad's science project.

noemi@moscom.UUCP (Noemi Berry) (02/04/86)

>> ........................ But I also like her better than the first two
>> - watching either of them drove me crazy!

>Sorry, I must disagree. I have been watching the show since about 78
>(Just before they lost Tara) and for me, Taylor Miller is the ONLY
>one who could play Nina with any believeability.  The interaction
>between her and Pete Bergman was truly wonderful and really enhanced
>each others talents.  Since she left, I have not seen anything more
>than "an actress". Taylor actually duped me into believing she was
>really Nina.  Maybe she is like that in real life. Who knows.

	I agree - the 2nd Nina overacted terribly - she was always in a
crisis, and those NOSTRILS!!  This one is better, but I'm surprised they
chose an actress with different color hair - usually they try to get someone
who resembles the replaced person, no matter HOW untalented.  Case in point:
Sheila, Jenny's "replacement".

	Taylor Miller is/was the ONLY Nina - but I was surprised to see her
on a talk show - she was snotty and arrogant, nothing at all like Nina.
I guess she really IS a good actress!!

					noemi

kurtzman@uscvax.UUCP (Stephen Kurtzman) (02/12/86)

In article <647@moscom.UUCP> noemi@moscom.UUCP (Noemi Berry) writes:

>       I agree - the 2nd Nina overacted terribly - she was always in a
>crisis, and those NOSTRILS!!  This one is better, but I'm surprised they
>chose an actress with different color hair - usually they try to get someone
>who resembles the replaced person, no matter HOW untalented.  Case in point:
>Sheila, Jenny's "replacement".

I must point out an error here. AMC does not always try to maintain
superficial appearances when characters are changed. The example of
Sheila/Jenny is not good because Sheila's story was her resemblance to
Jenny. Counterexamples to this rash generalization are: The original Tad vs
the new Michael Knight - Tad ran away as a twerpy looking simp with a
serious inferiority complex and came back as a handsome arrogant womanizer.
Compare the recent change in Charlies. The first was dark haired and average
looking. The current one has fairer hair, and is fairly good looking.  The
first Mike Roy was taller and darker than the second Mike. The second Mike
also had an English accent missing in the first one. The first Kent Bogard
was a light haired all-american boy type; the second was a dark-haired
European (noticeable accent) type. The first Lars Bogard had a thick
European accent; the second had no noticeable accent. Various Taras have had
different colorations (one had black hair, the last had brown hair). I think
the new Greg is different enough in build from the old one to use as a
counterexample. The two Lizas were different in build.

One of the things that AMC does do with every personnel change is to change
the character. The writers seem to write to the strengths of the actors.
Consequently, the characters change personality when actors change. I won't
cite examples since character mentioned above verifies the observation.

> Taylor Miller is/was the ONLY Nina - but I was surprised to see her
>on a talk show - she was snotty and arrogant, nothing at all like Nina.
>I guess she really IS a good actress!!

Funny thing, I always thought Taylor Miller's Nina was a very nice albeit
stuck-up rich bitch. While she was always nice, I always sensed a little bit
of ice underneath. It was just enough to make the character intriguing.
The second Nina was too stuck-up, and the current Nina is too much like a
very little girl.