[ont.micro.mac] Alice

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (04/26/84)

Date: 21 Apr 1984 04:42:44-EST
From: uw-beaver!Edward.Tecot@CMU-CS-H
Subject: Alice
To: utcsrgv!peterr
To: microsof!infomac

Having played Alice for quite some time, I can say it is a fun game, but
you easily tire of it.  You can also set the speed of the chess pieces,
by pressing the numbers 1-6.  Also, note that Alice is a real time game
sitting on one spot is a sure way to get nuked, the game is not a
turn-by-turn game.

Also, about MacPascal:
I can't seem to get it to do sines, and the memory does seem to be very
limited.  The general rule seems to be that programs >1 page don't seem
to run.

About MacBasic:
The version I have seems to be a bit older than the one reviewed in Byte.
Quite a few things seem weird.  Also, the system is different, most fonts
are missing.  I kept getting ID10 and ID25 errors, so I finally replaced
the system folder with my MacWrite/Paint system.  I don't know if this
matters, but at least the program listings look normal.  I typed in Ahl's
Benchmark from Creative Computing (Modifying for MacBasic's pseudo pascal
syntax--no line numbers, one statement per line)  and the results were
pretty good:  22 seconds to run (MS-Basic was 1min., 43 sec.), with a random
number deviation of ~5.5 and an accuracy <E12 (wow!).  When they get the
bugs out, this will be an awesome application.