[ont.micro.mac] Forth arives

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (04/26/84)

Date: Sun 22 Apr 84 01:45:36-EST
From: uw-beaver!INTMET@BBNA.ARPA
Subject: Forth arives
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

I recieved my copy of MacForth on Friday. I have read the manual and
played with the demos.  It fun, its fast, its a hackers delight.  Forth
is the Mad Hatter of programming languages.  The distribution comes
with a primes program, it counts the primes from 1 to 8K in about 2 seconds.
L* it isn't.  I'll write a longer review once I've actually written a
program.
  As an aside, it doesn't seem fair to broadcast bugs in MacPascal's
prerelease versions.   ben.
   --- A little program in MacForth for an etchastech ---
new.window etch.window
  " My etchings " etch.window w.title
   200 30 300 375 etch.window w.bounds
  sys.window etch.window w.behind
  etch.window add.window

: sketch hide.cursor
    begin
        still.down while @mousexy dot
    repeat
    show.cursor ;
: etch if 5 5 pensize
          begin
            do.events case
               mouse.down of sketch endof
            endcase
          again
        else
        then ;

etch.window on.activate etch

ps.  I wouldn't buy this unless you have skimmed a book about
forth, and you are willing to skip getting into computer science
heaven.
pps.  The above program is probably covered by their copyright.
-------