[ont.micro.mac] VT102 editing sequences.

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (04/26/84)

Date: Mon 23 Apr 84 13:19:35-EST
From: Richard Garland <uw-beaver!OC.GARLAND@CU20B>
Subject: VT102 editing sequences.
To: Info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

There was a question a few days ago as to what exactly are the editing
sequences the VT102 has that the VT100 doesn't.  I believe they are:

Insert line(IL)			CSI Pn L
Delete line (DL)		CSI Pn M
Delete character (DCH)		CSI Pn P

CSI is "ESC[" (in seven bit ascii) and Pn is the number of lines/characters
inserted deleted.

To insert characters, you first switch insertion-replacement mode (IRM)
to "Insert", write the characters, then switch IRM back to "replace".
These are mode set commands:

IRM	(Set) Insert: CSI 4 h		(reset) Replace: CSI 4 l

The names in parenthesis are the ANSI names for these functions.
There are also 2 other ANSI editing functions which are in the
same general category which are NOT on the VT102 although they
ARE on the DEC VT200 family:

Insert characters (ICH)		CSI Pn @  (inserts Pn blanks)
Erase characters (ECH)		CSI Pn X  (erases Pn characters to blanks)

I have no idea if MACTerminal intends to do these last 2.  It would be
nice if it did although they are really not particularly essential.

					Rg
-------