[ont.micro.mac] Using Write/Paint; quick tips, observations, etc.

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (04/26/84)

Date: Tue 24 Apr 84 16:31:03-EST
From: bill coderre <uw-beaver!SE.BC%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>
Subject: Using Write/Paint; quick tips, observations, etc.
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Cc: se.bc%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA

The other night I sat down and seriously used Write-Paint to write a
7pp single-spaced with illustrations technical paper. I learned quite
a bit about some of the rough edges of write-paint, and I thought I'd
pass along some observations and tips.

MacWrite:

I noticed that it is a hassle to use the mouse to do cursor
positioning. It's tough for me to get the cursor into the middle of a
word, and its an especial hassle to be taking my hands off the
keyboard to get the mouse, twiddle it, then go back to the keyboard.

MacWrite won't let you put the cursor right between the header of a
page and the first character on the page when the previous page had an
"Insert Page Break" done. The solution is to move it after the first
character and then erase the first character.

Blinking the typing line makes my eyes tired. Isn't there a better
way? Most non-font editors are smart enough to print the line and
erase EOL. Can't this be created for MacWrite?

When printing a document, you must have MacWrite, the Imagewriter
utility, your document, and room left over for some sort of translated
version of the document on your disk. Needless to say, it's easy to
run out of room. The solution until the proposed double-density drives
come out is to print the document in sections (i.e. pp. 1-3, 4-6,
etc.). At least you CAN print it out that way. Expectedly, there is no
data loss if MacWrite runs out of room along the way, but there is
also no advance warning of this event, and there is no ``help''
provided either on the screen or in the manual telling you the above
empirically-derived hint. Seems they could've put it in the ``!'' box.

Headers and footers must be shown to work, but once you prep them you
click the main document window (rather than saying ``Hide...'') to get
them out of your way while still taking effect. This is clumsy. Also,
page numbers like this: -12- are not really doable.

Printer:

Medium quality timed at about 1 to 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per page, page
filled with single-spaced typing, headers and footers.

High quality timed at about 4-6 minutes per page as above, same
document. High quality gives less jaggies, but doesn't really help
with the roundness of some letterforms. Also, the letters in
high-quality mode are heavier (have thicker strokes) than either
what's on the screen or medium-quality mode. Bold characters in small
fonts have a tendency to fill in.

Line/Page feeding in high quality mode is S-L-O-W. Wonder why?

It appears that Tall Adjust mode is the right thing to do, giving nice
pictures and letterforms. But the ruler across the top of the screen
doesn't work right then, so you must be careful!

IMPORTANT HINTS: You should always use the full 5 lines of header and
footer so you don't end up typing on the roller in cut-sheet mode.
Also, leave 1/4 inch between the little rollers and the top of the
page in cut-sheet. When printing, the roller first turns DOWN a little
before spacing up; if you don't leave extra, the paper gets munched
really nicely...

MacPaint:
You can't select anything bigger than a windowful, so you can't put
anything big into the clipboard. In order to clip big drawings you
will have to dothem in pieces.

MacPaint uses older printing code, so it hangs until the printer is
ready, then types with total disregard for the paper-out light. No
prompts are given. Thus, don't say print till you really mean it!

All in all, I still can't answer the age old question ``Wouldn't it
have been easier by hand?'' positively, but the results are very nice
from write/paint, and it wasn't harder than any other word processor.
Integrated text and graphics is awesome, especially on bond paper, and
seeing the end result on the screen is fabulous. I honestly only had
to print the document once. The Mac is the first consumer-league
computer to offer this. I can't wait until the GOOD editors and
graphic makers show up. I'm looking forward to doing my thesis with
Mac.

-------