[ont.micro.mac] MacTEP 1.81 bugs, MBasic revisions, and strange icons

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (04/27/84)

Date: 25-Apr-84 11:42:41-EST
From: uw-beaver!jmh@BNL
Subject: MacTEP 1.81 bugs, MBasic revisions, and strange icons
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM

__ MacTEP 1.81 Bugs __

In terminal mode, if you adjust the size of the output bwindow, or move the
window (by clicking and dragging the title bar) the cursor will change into
a half-height vertical bar.  At the end of each line this bar is printed (only
on your screen).  The same things happens if you do a ctrl-c and CONT, except
the normal cursor is left at the end of each line.  Is there a fix for this?
MacTEP 1.81 does a CLEAR, 25000... This means that you may not use the clock,
or any other accessories...if you attemt to, you will get an OUT OF HEAP
SPACE error... What can be done? I find having a notepad and clock on the screen
useful while on-line.

__ Mbasic revisions __

It seems reasonable for a company to charge a fee to give the customer an
update which includes new features, that might make things easier.  It does
not seem reasonable, though, for a company to expect to be paid to fix a
defective program.  (A program with bugs would be considered defective, as
the customer purchases it from the company expecting a completely working
copy in return for the purchase price.)  If I go ahead and purchase the
1.01 version, I have purchased it really for $175.  If I go and buy the
update 2.00 I have now paid $225.  I think it is important for us to let
Microsoft know that they have a responsibility to deliver a working copy
of their program for the original purchase price... If they are willing to
do this, I will be willing to spend the $50 extra down the road for new
features.

__ Strange Icons __

Has anyone determined the reason that the special icons that MBasic uses
are sometimes lost, and sometimes will appear?  For a period my MBasic disk
had the MS-BASIC icon listed at an application icon...All the other icons
were just blank sheets of paper.  One day everything went back to normal...
Except...I had a new icon... My textfiles had an icon I could only guess was
designed for Pascal.  It looked like this:

-----
 -----
   ----
  ----
   -----
 -----
    -----
-----
(Of course that is not the exact drawing, but you can get the general
idea)

Any assistance will be appreciated!

						Sincerely,

				Joel M. Heller (jmh@bnl)