[ont.micro.mac] request for comments

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (04/27/84)

Date: 26 Apr 84 16:02:39 EST
From: Charles Hedrick <uw-beaver!HEDRICK@RUTGERS.ARPA>
Subject: request for comments
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

We are looking into using 70 Macintoshes or Lisas this fall for our
first three courses.  I would like to mention the outline of what we
intend to do, to see if anyone knows of any gaping holes in our plans.
As we have no experience with the new software, it is hard for me to
know how far to believe what the sales folks say. (Not that I don't
trust them, understand - I'm just not sure *they* know.)  Note that
this must be in operation on Sept. 1, 1984.  It is not acceptable
to use technology that will become available "Real Soon Now".

As there is no network available yet, we will use standalone units.
The students will use the base unit, with a single floppy.  Apple
is working on some arrangement whereby students can buy a floppy
with software on it for a reasonable price.
  Question #1: Do they need anything more?  Does a floppy with
	Mac Pascal or Mac Assembler have enough free space that
	they can keep a couple of programs around.

Currently we are planning to use Lisas, as we hear that the memory
on the current Macintoshes is still small.  We want to be able to
handle programs up to 10 or 20 lineprinter pages.
  Question #2: Are we right to be using Lisas?
  Question #3: Can we really run Macintosh software on a Lisa, and
	will it be able to take advantage of the 512K of memory?

The systems will be in groups of about 12.  We would like to supply
one unit with a printer.
  Question #4: What printer?  we are just interested in listings
	of our programs.  We would like a printer that will stand
	up to heavy use, but it doesn't need to handle fancy
	graphics.  Will the software support any printers other
	than the official Apple ones?  Or are those OK?

Has anyone played with Mac Pascal or Assembler?  Are there any
horrible things about them that should make us have second thoughts
(realizing that the alternative is probably an IBM PC or equivalent).

-------