[ont.micro.mac] Mac configuration

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/02/84)

Date:  1 May 1984 1237-PDT
From: uw-beaver!STERNLIGHT@USC-ECL.ARPA
Subject: Mac configuration
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM

Since  I`m  getting  a  bit  tired  of  the  1  vs.  2 drives and 512k
discussions, let me offer  the  following  hypothesis:   the  MAC  was
originally designed as a 2-drive, 512k machine.  Then Apple discovered
that they couldn`t get enough drives from Sony and that 512k  was  too
expensive to make it to market before 1985.  Not being willing to wait
til then, they modified the design to  get  it  out  (it  was  already
late).   Perhaps  (the  clue  is  some  software that takes color) the
original design even had color.  If this is so, it makes some  of  the
handsprings  Apple apologists have been turning a bit silly.  (I write
this as a supporter of the Mac and an Apple registered developer--just
want some reasonableness to the discussion.)  Note that the hypothesis
is entirely my own; I don`t know anything official  from  Apple  about
these matters.  --david--
-------