[ont.micro.mac] deadlines

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/04/84)

Date: 3 May 1984 03:54-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
Subject: deadlines
To: INFO-MAC@MIT-MC

	I have a column deadline first part of next week.  Would
appreciate information/comments on:

1. I have sources say that the reson you cannot get your Macdisk
fixed if it dies (and many do) is that  the replacement drives
are being kludged by hackers to make second drives for their
systems, and are being bought out the back doors of stores.  May
not be true, but I can certainly get goot source materials.

2.  Is there ANY available applications software for Macintosh
as of this date?  (Not what will be out next week...)

3.  A correspondent tells of buying a Mac which died within an
hour.  The store quoted a four week time to fix; Apple policy
forbids supplying him with one from pipeline and swapping live
for dead unit; calls to Apple produced sympathy from those
taking call, but return call saying that was indeed policy.
(Reader got refund and bought Kaypro.)  Is this indeed Apple
policy, and if so, why?

	I have a Mac.  It's much fun.  I agree that many people
who would never play with computers find it fascinating.
Without software, languages, or assembler, it m ay be a bit
costly for some of us.