[ont.micro.mac] MacWrite "Feature"

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/05/84)

	(4.14.3/4.16) id AA21590; Fri, 4 May 84 01:15:53 pdt
Date:     Fri,  4-MAY-1984 04:08 EDT
From: Ronald A. Jarrell <uw-beaver!TSDTEST%VPIVAX3.BITNET@Berkeley>
To: info-mac@sumex-aim.ARPA
Subject:  MacWrite "Feature"

Interesting little thing popped up while I was using MacWrite.  I had a 5+
page document I had written to experiment with MacWrite.  I added a header
and a footer to the document, and printed it out.  I went through each of
the modes to check the differences.  Draft mode is nice and fast, except
for one minor problem.. With the header option on, the Mac writes them as
seperate files.  This is natural since it's 3 different windows and not
just a "snapshot" of the file as in other modes.  The Mac will meriily whip
off a page, print the footer (in this case a page number and string of text)
do a "formsuck", print any header text at the top of the page it just printed,
line feed, think a moment, go back and print things like date time, formfeed,
and start the cycle again for the next page...  I think a little optimization
is in order.  I tried rearranging the windows to put header on top, but the Mac
has it's own internal order it is concerned with.  Amazing how much time 5
formsucks and 5 formfeeds add to the print time..

I was impressed with the Imagewriters ability to actually *do* a formsuck.
Most single tractor printers can't easily.  According to the manual there is
a wealth of things the beastie can do.  It also seems too have prodigious
print buffer.

        -Ron