[ont.micro.mac] Finder bug

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/08/84)

Date: 7 May 1984 13:29:59-EDT
From: uw-beaver!Bruce.Lucas@CMU-CS-IUS
Subject: Finder bug
To: utcsrgv!peterr
To: microsof!infomac

After the Finder repairs your disk, it is confused about where the icons go
in the disk window.  In particular, if you select "clean up" the icons get
bumped up to the very top of the window, instead of leaving a little border.
Rebooting takes care of the problem.

This occurred under the following circumstances: after working with the Mac
for a while I began to notice that the Finder was taking a LONG time to
start up after an application quit (it seemed to be going back and forth
between two tracks several times), and that MacWrite documents (both
existing and newly created ones) were being shown with a plain document icon
(not the document with lines of text).  Then after doing some folder
rearranging, the Finder said there wasn't enough room on the disk to store
the changes (even though the disk window said 32k).  I rebooted (I think),
and the Finder repaired the disk, which cured everything--except the icons
were put in the wrong place by "clean up", and rebooting again solved that.