[ont.micro.mac] Req. translation of Lisa error message

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/08/84)

From: John Shore <uw-beaver!shore@NRL-CSS>
Date: Mon, 7 May 84 18:02:46 EDT
To: info-mac@sumex-aim
Subject: Req. translation of Lisa error message
Cc: shore@NRL-CSS

I'm running 2.0 on a Lisa 2/5 and have suddenly started getting
a rash of "...technical difficulties...system will restart" messages
when opening up a document or starting a backup operation.  In every
case the message number is 1033/21/n, where n=2759360 when I'm opening
a LisaTerminal, LisaWrite, or LisaCalc document.  For other operations,
n is some other large number (looks like a disk address?).   The problem
is intermittent.

I called the Apple "support" hot line, only to be told that the error
usually occurs when pasting from Term to Write -- I've encountered that
bug, and it's not the cause of my current problem.  The person at Apple
claimed that the value for n probably came from a line number and that
the numbers were *undocumented* -- no-one there could tell me what they
meant.  Ridiculous.

Can anyone out there tell me what the numbers mean?  I'm reluctant to
just reinstall the system and repair the disk since the last two times I've
done the repair the system trashed some crucial directory files and cost
me several days work (Apple tells me that this problem is also known to
occur but the they don't understand it yet!).

js