[ont.micro.mac] MAC in Europe

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/11/84)

Date: Thu 10 May 84 13:00:34-PDT
From: Bjorn Lindskog <uw-beaver!BJORN@LOCAL>
Subject: MAC in Europe
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

Is the MAC dependent on the mains frequency in any way?
I want to bring mine over to Europe where 50 Hz is what comes
out of the plug. I guess that the real-time clock would be
something you often control by the mains. I'm not worried
about the video frame rate, since switchable terminals are
always run at 60 Hz rate anyway in order to minimze the flicker,
and that works fine.

I suppose that the voltage will be the problem, since the supply
is probably not switchable to 220 V. (At least it wasn't on
Apple II)

-- Bjorn
-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/12/84)

Date: Fri 11 May 84 09:38:55-EDT
From: Alan Crosswell <uw-beaver!US.ALAN@CU20B>
Subject: Re: MAC in Europe
To: BJORN%WASHINGTON@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA
Cc: info-mac%SUMEX-AIM@COLUMBIA-20.ARPA

We asked Apple about that since many of our users asked the same
question at a Mac demo we put on here last month.  Apple told us (and
it came out in print in the next Consortium newsletter that all that is
needed is a good quality voltage converter since 50 Hz is still within
the Mac's operating range.  They don't use the line frequency for any
kind of clock.

Alan Crosswell
Columbia University Computer Center
-------