[ont.micro.mac] Accurate Info for your column

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/05/84)

Date: Thu 3 May 84 18:52:41-PDT
From: uw-beaver!ERIK@SRI-AI.ARPA
Subject: Accurate Info for your column
To: Pourne@MIT-MC.ARPA
Cc: Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

Dear Jerry,

Here's some accurate information for next week's column.

1.  The external 3 1/2 " drive for Macintosh will be available for sale at all
dealers next week.  The Sony drives are extremely reliable, and failure
rates are very low.

2.  Currently there are 9 applications out for Macintosh:
  MacWrite, MacPaint from Apple;
  MultiPlan and Basic from Microsoft;
  MAGICPhone by Artsci;
  ClickArt by T/Maker Graphics;
  MacForth by Creative Solutions;
  Transylvania by Penguin Software;
  and MegaMerge by MegaHaus.

In May developers expect to ship ten applications (including Microsoft
Chart), and in June there should be at least 35 additional applications (eg.
Macintosh Pascal).

3. All Apple products are under 90 day warranty.  All Dealers are required
to stock spare parts for our computers.  The Macintosh reliability rate has
been extremely high.  I'm surprised to hear that this particular person has
had trouble with servicing his Macintosh.  If he would call Apple (Donna
Dubinsky, Manager of Distribution) in Cupertino I'm sure she would be
more than happy to help solve the problem.

Hope you continue to enjoy your Macintosh.

Barbara Koalkin
Macintosh Product Marketing Manager
-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/12/84)

Date: Fri, 11 May 84 17:49 PDT
From: uw-beaver!Cagan.PA@XEROX.ARPA
Subject: Re: Accurate Info for your column
To: ERIK@SRI-AI.ARPA
Cc: Pourne@MIT-MC.ARPA, Info-Mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

I'm sending this message to the above distribution because I think that
some one in this group will be able to answer my question.

I will be purchasing a MacIntosh(with an Apple 1200 modem) in the near
future. I would like to know if there is, or will be (in the near
future), any way that an individual, with out a lot of money or hardware
, can use the MacIntosh to access the ARPA network or UUCP? Ideally, one
would be able to do this without using the resources of their employer
who may be part of the network. I feel that the potential that Mac has
for this application is one of it's great strengths.

I am a physical scientist, not a CS expert. So, I would appreciate
answers/solutions to my question that are understandable to one without
intimate knowledge of Mac's( or any computer's) inner workings. I would
also encourage individuals at Apple to respond. Of course, a ready made
software package (reasonably priced) would be the most palatable
solution for me.

Thanks for your help.

Myron Cagan
Xerox PARC