[ont.micro.mac] Outside Development & Color

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/16/84)

Date: Tuesday 15 May 1984 08:45:57 EDT
From: Leo Hourvitz <uw-beaver!leo@mit-pamela>
Subject: Outside Development & Color
To: <info-mac@mit-pamela>
Cc: <leo.log@mit-pamela>

The recently posted whispering that Apple did not plan
to have outside developers for the Mac is not the case.
Unlike Lisa (for which it is STILL hard to write real
software) and partially because of it, one of the corner-
stones of the Mac has been an active third party program.
I know of people having been outside (and I do mean
outside) developers last summer.  Apparently the Lisa
experience convinced some folks that third party developers
were a good thing.

I don't know why Apple has started to turn down some people
for this exalted position, save perhaps that more people
are applying than they ever thought would.  I still don't
see what quite prevents one from buying the necessary items
(albeit at retail) and writing a program, anyway.

As for color, I rather disagree that it is useless, but I
do agree that it would have been a bad choice for Mac.
Besides all the reasons already discussed, I have yet to
see a color screen that is as crisp, clear, and stable as
a Mac's (and yes, I have seen all the screens on display
at Siggraph).  Anything with a shadow mask loses on bright-
ness and, to me, some amount of clarity over a monochrome
screen.  Even if the color were just as cheap, I would
rather stare at the monochrome, if I had to look at it all
day (hopefully the future will help change this).

Leo

Leo Hourvitz
Architecture Machine Group, MIT
leo%pamela@mc (arpanet)

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/18/84)

Date: 17 May 1984 01:52-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
To: leo@MIT-PAMELA
Cc: info-mac@MIT-PAMELA, leo.log@MIT-PAMELA

This may be a repeat; if so, apologies.  System crashed last
night after I sent this.
	Yesterday Aplle informed Dr. H that he had, after all,
been accepted as a developer, and his Mac will arrive in two
weeks.  No rason for change of heart given.
	You have, of course, all seen the Infoworld.
	I continue to like the Macintosh myself, but can't in
good conscience recommend naive users to get one until the
software actually appears.  I sure do wish it had a USEFUL desk
calculator in the desk tools.
	JEP
	PS: anyone know how to write one that is simple and easy
to use, and could take the place of my TI-59 so I could puyt the
Mac where the calculator resides?