[ont.micro.mac] Finder 1.0 Bug? Feature?

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/24/84)

Date: 22 May 1984 0925-EDT
From: uw-beaver!DEUFEL@DEC-MARLBORO
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX
Subject: Finder 1.0 Bug? Feature?

If the disk icon (or file icon) is selected and you happen to type
a character the name of the disk under the icon and (in the case of
the disk icon) in the window is wiped out and the character is inserted.

Opinion:

I feel that this is a bug and have found nothing in any document
that refers to it as a feature.

Any comments?

			-Abdul-
   --------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/25/84)

Date: Wed, 23 May 84 19:42:00 EDT
From: Bob Rees <uw-beaver!rrees@BBN-UNIX.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Finder 1.0 Bug? Feature?
To: DEUFEL@dec-marlboro.arpa
Cc: info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa

It's supposed to be a feature -- the manual explains that this is the
(only?) method for renaming a disk or file.  However, I agree that
it's a lot more like a bug the way they implemented it.  When you're
using the finder, usually *some* icon is selected, and it's far too
easy to accidentally rename something by typing at the wrong time (or
by just bumping into the keyboard).  Locking an item prevents it from
being renamed, but it also prevents it from being written into, so
this method of protection is inappropriate in many cases.  I feel that
things should be renamed only as a *deliberate act*.

Here's how I think it should have been implemented [Apple -- are you
listening?]:  Modifying the name under an icon should only be possible
when the name itself is selected (not when the *icon* is selected).
If you move the pointer into the name, the pointer changes to the
"I-beam" text cursor.  You can click to specify a text insert/delete
point in the existing name.  Or you can drag the I-beam thru some or
all of the name to select the text to be retyped.  Since this
provision *already exists*, is easy to do, and unambiguously specifies
your intent to modify the name, this should be the *only* method for
renaming.  Typing while an icon (rather than its name) is selected
should just be ignored (perhaps the Mac should beep at you to let you
know that your keyboard input is not doing whatever you intended).