[ont.micro.mac] Disk Icon Renaming

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/31/84)

Date: Thu, 24 May 1984 09:49:52 EDT
From: Macintosh Evaluation Project <uw-beaver!MAC%upenn-1100.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>
Subject: Disk Icon Renaming
To: INFO-MAC%SUMEX-AIM.ARPA@csnet-relay.arpa,
        DEUFEL%DEC-MARLBORO.ARPA@csnet-relay.arpa

No, the changing of the disk's name is not a bug.  It will *only* occur if you
have both selected the disk's icon and then moved the mouse such that it
points to the disk's name, causing the arrow to be replaced with the standard
"insertion point" marker (similar to a vertical bar).  The disk's name is a
piece of text, and is subject to all the standard editing capabilities and
contstraints, once you have selected it -- you can select all or part, cut,
paste, etc., and since initial selection of the icon and name indicates to
the finder that you want the "whole name", a backspace in edit mode will,
indeed, delete the whole name.

Dave Axler

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/31/84)

Date: Wed, 30 May 84 11:59:49 edt
From: Mark Lentczner <uw-beaver!mark@harvard.arpa>
To: DEUFEL%DEC-MARLBORO.ARPA@csnet-relay.arpa,
        INFO-MAC%SUMEX-AIM.ARPA@csnet-relay.arpa,
        MAC%upenn-1100.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Subject: Re:  Disk Icon Renaming

No, I'm sorry...  The name will be replaced no matter
where the mouse points to: within the name or elsewhere.
While I'll grant that this is not a bug (in so far as
some programmer at Apple ment it to work that way), I
would certianly suggest that this `feature' be altered
so that it does only work when the pointer is an I-Beam.

-mark lentczner
 electronic music studio
 music department
 harvard university