[ont.micro.mac] Warning: telephone trashes disks

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/31/84)

Date: Tue 29 May 84 04:20:00-PDT
From: Janet Coursey <uw-beaver!JVC@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Warning: telephone trashes disks
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

Jaron Lanier told me, and an EE friend confirmed, that the electro-magnetic
field established by the ringing of a telephone bell is strong enough
to alter the data content of a disk (apple, hp, memorex, or other).
Disks have become unreadable due to this effect.  So if your phone
sits adjacent to your disk storage box, move one of them.     Janet
-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/02/84)

Date: 31 May 1984 05:06-EDT
From: Jerry E. Pournelle <uw-beaver!POURNE@MIT-MC>
To: JVC@SU-SCORE
Cc: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM

Good advice.  Telephone bell can wipe out 8" and 5 1/4"; I see
no reason why it cannot get a vest pocket disk too.