[ont.micro.mac] None

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (04/26/84)

Date: Sun 22 Apr 84 01:28:24-EST
From: uw-beaver!INTMET@BBNA.ARPA
To: info-mac@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

The trace edges action in MacPaint's edit menu provides the first
step on the road to a good time.  First draw a circle about half
a screen full, in the center of the window.  Then marquee the entire
window, by double clicking the marquee tool.  Use trace edges to
create a nest of circles, the command E is a short cut here.  Now
the tricky part:  cut a channel into the center of you nest of
circles, the easy way to do this is to draw a line from the center
to the outside using white paint.  Lasso the entire nest of circles,
since we cut a channel into the nest the lasso will "leak" into the
nest.  Draw off a copy, you'll enjoy it.     ben.
-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/12/84)

Date: 11 May 1984 08:07 GMT
From: uw-beaver!byard@dca-eur
To: BJORN@LOCAL
Cc: info-mac@sumex

Re:  MAC in Europe
Date: 11 May 1984 07:51:50 Z
Text: 50 Hz is no problem.  We have used the American version of Mac
with a small transformer.  The transformers are readily available
over here.  A 220/110 switch would indeed complement the Mac travel
bag.  Better yet, automatic voltage sensing and operation on various
power standards would make Mac more "international" and less vulnerable
to accidental smoke tests.
Larry
Byard @ DCA-EUR
Stuttgart

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/15/84)

Date: 12 May 84 14:42 EDT
From: Richard Reich <uw-beaver!REICH@NYU-ACF1.ARPA>
To: WCATTEY@BBNF.ARPA
Cc: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
	Message of 11-MAY-1984 21:14 from "William D. Cattey" <WCATTEY@BBNF.ARPA>

I got the new stuff (Finder, MacWrite, DiskCopy) from my store on a
completely informal ("I can't really tell you where I got it...") basis.
All seems well EXCEPT MacForth craps out at initiation using the new
system folder.  BASIC seems to work ok, and I haven't checked Multiplan yet.
-r
ps... The new "About the Finder" is pretty cute.

-------

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (05/17/84)

Date: Tue, 15 May 84 18:51 PST
From: uw-beaver!DENNIS.GRIESSER@HIS-LA-CP6.ARPA
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

About the program for color on the MAC...

A few transactions ago, somebody posted a program that displays color
on the Mac.  Very little documentation was provided.  Although I don't
have a Mac, I know a little about the technique that was used.

It's called "subjective color".  It can be produced on monochrome (!)
displays by flashing the item to be colored on and off in a certain
sequence.  There is really no color there, and a camera won't show
colors.  It's all done by tricking the eye and brain.

Some people who are normally color-blind have no trouble seeing these
subjective colors.  Some folks with perfect vision can't see one or
more of the subjective colors.  I don't know what factors are involved
in who can and cannot see this effect.

This phenomenon has been known for years.  It is usually demonstrated
by spinning a disk that carries strategically spaced dark and light
areas.  This is the first I have heard about software to produce
subjective color.  Some proposals have been made for hardware to
produce this effect, but I have not heard of a commercial product
that uses it.

For the insatiably curious, there was a good article on this topic in
BYTE many years ago.  Try looking around 1977.

info-mac@utcsrgv.UUCP (info-mac) (06/05/84)

From: uw-beaver!princeton!tilt!down!honey@seismo.ARPA
Date: 4 Jun 1984 07:55-EDT
To: info-mac@seismo.ARPA

/***** down:net.micro.appl / mhuxt!evans /  3:19 pm  May 30, 1984*/

Manx Software will be releasing their Macintosh C very soon -- they will
now take your name and put it on a mailing list. Does anyone have any
specifics yet?  If you want to get on their mailing list try them at:

	(201) 530-7997

					Steve Crandall
					ihnp4!mhuxt!evans